HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pregnancy (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/)
-   -   Swelling, nausea, & difficulty breathing - 24wks (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pregnancy/348230-swelling-nausea-difficulty-breathing-24wks.html)

laurabelle1317 12-11-2005 08:09 AM

Swelling, nausea, & difficulty breathing - 24wks

I am currently 24 wks along. I woke up this morning and felt like my hands were swollen. I grabbed my wedding rings and sure enough I couldn't put them on. Is this normal at 24 wks? My pg book said that in the 3rd trimester some swelling, especially in your face in the morning is normal. But I'm not in the 3rd tri yet. It also said that your fingers (as well as feet, face, etc) may be swollen in the last few weeks of pregnancy. I'm no where near my last few weeks yet.

I also woke up in the night and couldn't fall back to sleep for a little while. After laying in bed about 45mins I started to feel nauseous and it was more difficult to breathe.

What do you all make of any of this? And is waking up in the morning with my hands swollen to where my rings won't even go on considered "all of a sudden" swelling versus gradual swelling? Everything I am reading online talks about all of a sudden swelling being a cause for concern. But what dictates "all of a sudden"?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

weepyone 12-11-2005 10:20 AM

Re: Swelling, nausea, & difficulty breathing - 24wks

hi
i am sorry i cannot answer about the swelling maybe get it checked out with your doc or midwife just to put your mind at rest. However i am 24 weeks 3 days and get really uncomfortable at night i find it easier to breathe propped up rather than laying down flat. I would let your doc know all you problems in case they are related. take care

KellyDL 12-11-2005 11:25 AM

Hello, I'm not pregnant, but have had 3 children. With my last, who is 8 months old, I had pre-eclampsia. I didn't ahve the elevated blood pressure at first, just the protein in my urine. With my first 2 pregnancies, I swelled more as the day would go along, and in the mornings it would be better. What made me realize that something was different with the third pregnancy was that I would wake up with the swelling in the mornings all of a sudden just like you said. I delivered okay without any complications at 39 weeks. Then I had a case of postpartum pre-eclampsia, which I don't think is all that common. Most people are okay once they deliver their babies. You may not have anyhting wrong, but I would contact my OB dr. and request a 24 hour urine check. That will show if there is protein in your urine. This is more reliable then just checking to see if your blood pressure is elevated.

One other thing that you said kind of concerns me. You said that you're having trouble breathing when you lay down? As anyone who has ever had a baby knows, it is harder to beath when you're pregnant. But, if it is worse when you lay down, with swelling, and if your short of breath, you maybe should call your dr. There are serious conditions that can cause this. Have you had bad heart palpitations? These are things to be concerned about, but you could just be having the normal symptoms of pregnancy. It's always better to be on the safe side though.

laurabelle1317 12-11-2005 12:00 PM

Thanks for the responses!

Kelly - I generally don't have trouble breathing. And no, I haven't had heart palpitations. I just for some reason, all of a sudden early this morning had a more difficult time breathing. It wasn't real bad - like it wasn't bad enough for me to wake DH up about. But I did notice a difference. I had woken up at 5am to use the bathroom and then couldn't get back to sleep. I laid in bed trying to fall asleep and after 45mins (still not asleep) is when I all of a sudden felt nauseous and my breathing changed.

I do have an additoinal question for you Kelly. You said that you would wake up with swelling in the morning. Would it you stay swollen throughout the day? Or would it go back down throughout the day but then come back again in the morning? My swelling has gone down now. My rings fit again. I realize now that my face was also swollen/puffy this morning because I have now noticed that it too has gone down. My fingers may still be a little swollen - but very little if any at all.

DH and I are on our way to Walmart and I will take my blood pressure then. If it's higher than normal, I will call my midwife today. Otherwise I will probably wait and see if the swelling returns in the morning and call her then. I just had my 24 wk appt on Thursday and nothing was said about my blood pressure or urine then. So hopefully all is well and this is the start of anything to be concerned about. After researching pre-eclampsia and its symptoms I realize there may be a few other symptoms I have, such as headaches again (but this may be due to reducing my chiropractic appts, which I am now uping again) and flashing lights in my vision, which I thought were just due to the headaches. My headaches aren't severe and persistent though, which is more common it seems with pre-eclampsia, from what I've read.

My mother had pre-exlampsia when she was pg with me pretty badly. She had to have a C-section 6 wks early and I was only 2lbs 14 oz, which is still way small for a baby born just 6 wks early. I wasn't getting the nutrients I needed because she had pre-eclampsia/toxemia so badly. If they didn't take me by C-section when they did then both me and my mom would have been in jeopardy.

Look forward to hearing from you again! And thanks again! I will check back in after our Walmart trip.

laurabelle1317 12-11-2005 03:05 PM

My blood pressure is definitely not high. It was 97/50. So if anything, the bottom number is a little low. But all in all that is still a very normal blood pressure for me, which is normally in the 90's over 60's.

Still definitely curious to know if when you had swelling in the morning if it went down later throughout the day or continued throughout the day.

KellyDL 12-11-2005 06:43 PM

I guess looking back, it came and went. I was not swelled every morning, just some days. When I noticed the swelling in my face, that's when I knew I had pre-eclampsia. My mid-wife said no because my blood pressure was normal, in fact it was like clockwork right where it needed to be. But, I knew that something felt different with this baby, and went in to see the actual dr. and asked for a 24 hr. urine count. I had read on the internet that some women have the pre-eclampsia without the blood pressure. i had never heard of that before. But, sure enough, the dr. called me back and said that there was protein in my urine. I had to go in for weekly urine counts for the rest of my pregnancy. It never was elavated enough for them to induce me, but it did gradually raise the whole time. 2 days before I went into labor, my blood pressure started to raise, but not dangerously high. the midwife was going to check me again in 2 days to consider inducing, but I went on my own. I never had the headaches or changes of vision until I had the postpartum attack 1 week after delivery. I wound up back in the hospital. I am still on blood pressure medicine and Kelsey is now 8 months old. I was one of the few people that didn't get better after the baby was born. I do have a healthy little girl though. I would much rather have had the bad come postpartum where it didn't affect her! I will say that I just had this really weak feeling when I was pregnant and the swelling.
I will also tell you that I had another situation come up with my last pregnancy. I went to the dr. because of some digestive problems that were causing me to be short of breath. This was 2 months after giving birth.My dr. sent me to a cardiologist just to be safe. I ended up having a very mild case of peripartum cardiomyopathy. I'm fine and have passed the big danger point, but just have to be checked regularly. That's why I was concerned about you being SOB. But it just sounds like you are having trouble breathing from the pregnancy. I would get the swelling checked though, although this may be normal for you. Good Luck!

laurabelle1317 12-11-2005 08:28 PM

Kelly, on the days that you did wake up with swelling in your hands and face, did it stay that way throughout the day? Or did it go down after a couple of hours of being up?

Thanks again for your help and sharing your experiences!

KellyDL 12-12-2005 06:34 PM

Sometimes it stayed and sometimes it would go away. It never kept the same pattern. As long as your blood pressure is okay, I would think that you wouldn't be in any danger at this point, but I would have it checked when I could get into see the dr. If what I have read is true, normal swelling is supposed to get worse as the day goes on. I just looked it up again in the book- What to expect when you're expecting, and it says that waking up with swelling is a sign of pre-eclampsia. But, I'm not a dr. I hope that I helped you.

BarbaraH 12-12-2005 08:26 PM

Laurabelle,

Call your doctor or midwife. They're the ones who need to know what's happening so they can take good care of you and your baby. This is a sudden change that could be significant and guessing won't help. Always better safe than sorry.

Wishing you well - Barbara