It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

Stress and anxiety

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
debating HB User
Stress and anxiety

I have a lot of stuff going on my life right now that is causing a lot of stress on me. I've tried to buck it up for the duration of my pregnancy, but now that it's crunch time, the stress of soon having a new born before all my other issues gets resolved is making me a complete basket case.

I had another panic attack today, and almost went to the hospital. I probably should have because I'm not currently on any meds and I'm starting to think I would really benefit from them. I'm now worried that I'm going to have another panic attack, and that has me panicking.

In the last couple of weeks I have also had a lot of heart problems. I was sent for an ECG which showed some abnormalities but because we think it's all stress related they didn't put me on any sort of beta blockers or anything. Well, today my heart has been bothering me off an on (because of the panic attack), and when I get especially upset I can feel it pounding so hard that I feel as though I'm going to pass out.

The good thing is that I have a really good relationship with my doctor, and because of everything going she's increased my appointments to weekly ones (as opposed to bi-weekly) just to keep an eye on me.

I haven't gained any weight through out my pregnancy. I did for a few weeks, but in this last week I've lost an additional 4 pounds, and I'm now currently down a total of about 8 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight (which is because of stress).

The baby is healthy and seems to be growing quite well. In fact, at my last appointment, despite my weight loss, it seems that she's going through a growth spurt. Which is good.

Anyway, yesterday everything really hit the fan and being a weekend the only relief I'll get is by going to the emergency room. I feel silly going there as a blubbering emotional wreck, as I don't want to get laughed out of there as some hysterical crazy pregnant lady, but I would kill for a xanax (which I was on pre-pregnancy) or some other pregnancy safe sedative to help me sleep. I haven't slept well at all in the past 5 days, and I feel ready to crumble today.

I will definitely be making a doctors appointment on Monday because I want to go back onto an antidepressant, but I don't know what to do in the meantime.

If I go to the ER what are they going to do for me? Write me a prescription and send me on my way? Or will they be able to more for me? I'm undecided, and honestly scared of looking like a crazy pregnant lady.

What should I do?

Last edited by debating; 01-28-2006 at 07:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 01-28-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
rounsy222 HB User
Re: Stress and anxiety

You so just wrote my biography, I had a normal appointment on wed and pretty much had a nervous break down. Do not wait until that happens. Now my doctor wont let me go back to work until atleast wed, im back on my lexapro, and hes making me take ativan for the short term until I feel better. It has actually helped a ton. If I could make the decision again about staying on or going off I would now have to say stay on those antidepresants ladies, its not worth the risk. He told me that I probably would have and maybe still will have major post pardom depression and that its better I talked to him about it. I also started having some bleeding on wed which he is pretty sure just due to my emotional state. I would try and relax and go to your doc monday and tell them you have to see someone that day if you can make it that long. If you have any xanax I would just take one or go to the store and get a tylenol PM. My doc said they are safe every now and then but not nightly. Im in the same boat as I lost four pounds and he said its do to my depression and anxiety issues right now and I need to try and eat more, I actually hadnt really stopped just not much of an appetite so It was lots of small meals. Honestly I can say I have delt with anxiety and depression for almost my whole life, since I was 11 and weds was one of the worst of my life. He said its the combination of not taking my meds being worried about the up coming new baby and hormones hormones hormones. He actually said he was surprised I had made it this far.
So just wanting you to know that I know how you feel and dont ever feel bad for needing those lovely little pills or just asking for help.

Old 01-28-2006, 07:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
debating HB User

I've tried the tylenol pm, and then I just end up exhausted an unable to sleep. I can't shut my mind off is the problem.

My head hurts so bad from being upset that I took one and a half tylenol 3's (prescribed for migrains, though I rarely take them). I'm exhausted, but just can't fall asleep.

What's bothering me most now is my heart and not being able to breath well. It feels like I can't get a full breath (which is new to me). I was told the heart palpatations that they saw on the ECG weren't anything to be alarmed about and were most likely stress, but when I feel it pounding it makes me even more nervous and panicky, which is a snow ball effect.

My mom works at the hospital and is working a night shift. I might wait until she goes to work and go with her if I haven't been able to fall alseep by then.

Old 01-28-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) Courtney!

I'm so sorry you're having these problems. It's all the worse if you also cannot sleep. Is your mother nearby? I do hope so! If you can, go ahead and give her a call at her work and get her opinion about whether you should go to the ER. I think if you tell the ER folks you're having a pounding heart rate, difficulty breathing and are pregnant and edging on pre-eclampsia, they would likely send you to L&D to be monitered. The L&D staff might give you something to help you sleep. Maybe you can fall asleep under their watchful eye. Safe.

Wishing you well, sweetie, Barbara

Old 01-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
OrangeCouture HB User

Can you take a bath and to clear your mind and put thiings into perspective? If or before you dismiss that a bath may not work, have you tried it? Sometimes simple things like that help people.

Closed Thread