It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Soft serve ice cream

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
    nancy30
    Veteran
    (female)

nancy30 HB User
    Question Soft serve ice cream

Is it okay to eat soft serve ice cream (like Dairy Queen or McDonald's)??? I don't recall this on the list of foods to avoid; however, on the internet it was listed as possibly causing listeriosis.

Does anyone know??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
    MommaBee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MommaBee HB User
    Re: Soft serve ice cream

You won't get Listeria by eating softserve ice cream. Listeria is killed by pasteurization and cooking. I am almost positive that ice cream is pasterized.
    Enjoy!

Old 05-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
    xinerevelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xinerevelle HB User

I just did some internet research and found the following info on the Western Australian gov't site. Apparently there have been 7 cases of listeriosis in March 2006 alone (more than they usually get in a year). None were from a single food source. But who knew that soft-serve ice cream was a no-no!

High risk Listeria foods are:

- Ready to eat cold meats (e.g. salami, mettwurst)
    - Unpackaged and pre-sliced packaged manufactured meats (e.g. polony, ham, chicken loaf) and fermented meats
    - Cold cooked chicken Purchased pre-cooked cold chicken – diced, portioned or whole.
    - Salads and fruit Purchased pre-cut or peeled ready to eat fruit and salad vegetables.
    - Pate Pate, liverwurst or meat spreads.
    - Raw and chilled ready-to-eat seafood Raw (e.g. oysters, sashimi or sushi),
    - Smoked ready-to-eat, Ready-to-eat peeled prawns (e.g. in prawn cocktails, sandwich fillings and prawn salads).

- Soft and surface ripened cheese Pre-packaged and delicatessen soft, semi soft and surface ripened cheeses such as brie, camembert, ricotta, feta and blue cheese.
    - Ice cream Soft serve ice-cream.
    - Unpasteurised dairy products Unpasteurised dairy products (e.g. raw goat’s milk).

While I wasn't able to find something that told me in plain English WHY soft-service ice cream was bad, I imagine it has something to do with it being mixed up and in a refrigerated machine for more than a few hours, which is enough time for listeria to grow (refrigeration doesn't kill listeria, only heat does).

I guess that means I have to stick to Haagen-Daas after all.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
    Smociers
    (female)

Smociers HB User

I don't think that soft serve ice cream is bad for you seeing that I'm 33 weeks pregnant and have to have a blizzard from Dairy Queen every week, and I'm fine.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
    Mom22greatkids
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I have heard you should not eat soft serve. Something about it not being cold enough allowing bacteria to grow.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
    Jordyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jordyn HB User

Do you have any idea how rare listeria is? I am actually pretty shocked that there are 7 cases of it reported in Australia as all the research I've done on it says it is extremely rare.
    I myself don't worry about much of anything regarding food. I grew up on a farm and was exposed to ecoli all the time, drank unpasterized milk for years and basically cook with some caution but am not ever a germ freak.
    I have a 3 year old son and know that I ate feta, lunch meat, soft serve ice cream and lots of other things that just might contain something 'bad' and he turned out fine and so did I.
    I am 40w1d and have taken the same approach with this pregnancy....everything in moderation. No professional has ever told me not to eat any of the above foods...only places I've heard all the cautions are here and in the odd book.
    Relax and enjoy your pregnancy and don't worry about what could happen...if you do that you 'could' end up stressing yourself into pregnancy problems too.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
    MommaBee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MommaBee HB User

The only time I had heard about it was AFTER I had my kids. They said that you shouldn't eat white cheese that has set around, say at a picnic or such. Once something has time to sweat, which cheese will do, then you can have a problem. But that can go for anyone who eats it. Kind of like food poisoning. Common sense says if it has set out long enough, you shouldn't eat it.
    I do agree that maybe being that soft serve machines are not cleaned everyday (worked at a Arby's once) that there could be the potential to get sick from it. But I think it is very, very rare.
    Guess the choice is yours whether you want to eat it or not.

Old 05-27-2006, 09:22 PM   #8
    nancy30
    Veteran
    (female)

nancy30 HB User

Thanks for all the posts! I guess I'll try to limit Dairy Queen....I'm sure this is healthier anyways.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #9
    xinerevelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xinerevelle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordyn
    Do you have any idea how rare listeria is? I am actually pretty shocked that there are 7 cases of it reported in Australia as all the research I've done on it says it is extremely rare.
    I myself don't worry about much of anything regarding food. I grew up on a farm and was exposed to ecoli all the time, drank unpasterized milk for years and basically cook with some caution but am not ever a germ freak.
    I have a 3 year old son and know that I ate feta, lunch meat, soft serve ice cream and lots of other things that just might contain something 'bad' and he turned out fine and so did I.
    I am 40w1d and have taken the same approach with this pregnancy....everything in moderation. No professional has ever told me not to eat any of the above foods...only places I've heard all the cautions are here and in the odd book.
    Relax and enjoy your pregnancy and don't worry about what could happen...if you do that you 'could' end up stressing yourself into pregnancy problems too.

Part of the reason YOU don't have to worry is that YOUR immune system has developed antibodies to alot of the things that grow in some of our food due to your increased exposure growing up. Many of the rest of us didn't have that exposure and can more readily get sick, especially while pregnant.

Since my mom has an auto-immune disorder (rheu. arthritis) that they don't know how she got (was it triggered by something she ate, something she came in contact with???) I try to be extra careful.

Plus, for the past three days I've been having stomach cramps and bowel problems like I ate something bad (though I can't figure out what it was) and I've lost 4 lbs in that time frame. So, for me, it's just easier to stick to Ben and Jerry's ice cream instead of softserve and to eat PB&J sandwiches instead of turkey and ham. I made a greek pasta salad last week and used small cubes of monterey jack cheese instead of feta... not difficult and not terribly restricted.

As for professional advice, my doctor has told me these same things, and he's really liberal when it comes to restrictions! Also, my insurance co's "ask a nurse" who calls me every month to see how I'm doing told me the same things -- no lunch meat unless it's been nuked, no brie or feta cheese, etc. I was floored when she told me that, but I've seen read it in about 10 different places, both online (both on layman's sites and on sites for medical practicioners) and in numerous pregnancy books (from mainstream to obscure).

To each her own, I guess.

Last edited by xinerevelle; 05-28-2006 at 08:56 AM.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
    Jordyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jordyn HB User

I still believe that everyone needs to relax abit with the pregnancy 'no-no's. We all need to remember that none of these no-no's existed while most of our mothers were pregnant with us...heck then it was o.k. to drink and smoke (definately no-no's in my book LOL!!!).
    I do wonder if the reason I've heard so little about some of these food issues are because of where I live. I have done some research on it in Canada and it is listed as 'extremely rare' with no major cases since the 80's. Perhaps we are just luckier than other countries or maybe there just less studies on it??? What I did find out was that no where do they mention soft serve ice cream but then again, could be a new study done???
    And I do realize that I am lucky to have been raised in a wonderful rural environment where exposure to these things, while not always pleasant (I still hate the smell of 'country air') is definately a bonus. There have been studies done to show what the consequences of the Walkerton Water Tragedy (about 15 min from where I grew up) would have been like if this area had been more urban. My dad jokes that it pays to grow up with sh%t!!!
    I didn't mean to imply that we shouldn't be cautious but just that too much caution can cause more stress than it is worth. And again, eveyone needs to keep in mind that none of us are professionals here and you should always check with your own healthcare professional on anything you are unsure of.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #11
    Valo99
    Inactive
    (female)

Valo99 HB User

Yes back in the past is was OK to smoke, drink, not take vitamins etc...

but there were also more birth defects back then than today with the exception of some chromosomal problems, mainly because women are choosing to have children later in life and there are crack babies and ones born to mothers who drank.

What it boils down to is Medical science.. we have learned.. hey these things have caused problems in pregnancy.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:11 PM   #12
    soon2bmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I agree with Valo.. Just because something was thought to be "ok" when our mothers were pregnant doesn't mean it was good. Science gets better everyday. I took the aproach in the beginning that "hey I turned out fine and my mom did this". but you never know. Better to be safe than sorry, and who is going to get so stressed over not eating a turkey sandwich that it affects their pregnancy???

Old 05-28-2006, 10:46 PM   #13
    misip
    Inactive
    (female)

misip HB User

Any thoughts on not eating deli meats? I was told not to, but come on... so I'm just reduced the amount I eat, maybe only once a week, twice at the most. I just can't give up my summer sausage and turkey!

Old 05-29-2006, 06:15 AM   #14
    KeltoKel
    Inactive
    (female)

KeltoKel HB User

It's funny b/c I knew about listeria when I got pregnant, but I wasn't sure what to think of it. When I had my first exam with a nurse, she told me to avoid lunch meats all together unless they were warmed. Also told me to watch out for deli chicken salads, etc. She said it was better to make those things at home, just to be safe. I have had hoagies (sorry, I am from Philly and can't live without them!) but I have one maybe once every other week. I try to eat these things in moderation, which I think is how most things should be eaten.

She never said anything about ice cream. I have had Dairy Queen and it won't stop me from eating it from time to time. Although, I don't crave it every day so I am not going to worry about it.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:55 AM   #15
    Jordyn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jordyn HB User

Again, I was only trying to say that some of what we read needs to be taken with a grain of salt and everyone can choose to do what they want. I myself have chosen to enjoy my pregnancy and not worry about every little worry out there, every little thing I have been exposed to and every little thing I put in my mouth. I disagree that medical science has made things better. Coming from someone who works with special needs children, there are definately more birth defects, chromosonal problems etc. born now then there ever was when we were kids.
    I am not saying to go out and eat all those things whenever you want, I am just saying that you don't need to beat yourself up over eating them once in a while, everything in moderation.
    If you disagree with me, then fine...it really is up to each of us to do what is best for us. Having been down this road once already, I feel confident in my decisions and don't need to be judged for them...and that is the end of my comments on this thread!!!

Closed Thread