It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Tips 'n' Tricks to avoid tearing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
    jukaam
    (female)

jukaam HB User
    Question Tips 'n' Tricks to avoid tearing

I thought I'd start this thread as I really really don't want to tear and thought that there could be some tips and tricks out there that everyone could share.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
    steph66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

steph66 HB User
    Re: Tips 'n' Tricks to avoid tearing

I've HEARD that massaging and gently stretching the perinneal area starting around 33-34 weeks. Not sure if it really works.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
    bridget021182
    Veteran
    (female)

bridget021182 HB User

I have a feeling that Im going to tear easily. There are times where I will tear just a little during sex so I think I will during birth.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
    misip
    Inactive
    (female)

misip HB User

The nurses at my birthing class said the same thing about the perinneal message.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
    haileysheets
    (female)

haileysheets HB User

When you start pushing, push slooooowwwly if you can. My SIL had terrible tearing with her first baby. Well, when she had her second baby, the doctor would stop her for a few minutes at a time during the pushing to allow the skin to stretch naturally, as opposed to tearing quickly. He would tell her, "I know you feel like pushing, but don't push...you will tear right now if you do." So her doctor must have been aware of how much pushing would cause tearing. I am not sure if any other womens' doctors have done this, but my SIL had zero tearing with the second.

Do they still do episiotomies? I hope I'm spelling this right. I heard that many doctors would not do them any more.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
    maramello

maramello HB User

I was also really terrified of this when i had my first baby. I had always had trouble with sex because i was "small" down there. But to my shock i had no tearing, just some grazing. I think that using the birthing stool really helped me. Also having no pain medication meant i knew exactly when to push and how hard i was pushing. My doc told me that it also depends on how the midwife supports the head and perinium when you are delivering. My midwife also told me when to stop pushing to ease the head out gradually. Hope this helps!

Old 06-30-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
    OrangeCouture
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

OrangeCouture HB User
    Arrow Re: Tips 'n' Tricks to avoid tearing

I had a midwife and a med free childbirth. She massaged me between each push. I am a small girl and I had a 7lb 10oz girl with no complications or tearing. Get a midewife that does this. Epidurals can cause you to tear so don't get one. You can't feel yourself totally and may be pushing harder than you realize and tear, do some research on it.

Closed Thread