It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Calf Pain upon waking up

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
    Micheybell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Micheybell HB User
    Calf Pain upon waking up

I was awakened this morning by a horrible pain in my calf. I was unsure if it was a muscle pain or a blood clot. I felt a pull and had a lump in my calf. It turned out to be a muscle pain. The lump went down a few minutes after but the pain took a bit longer to subside.

Anybody else have this problem. I was quite concerned as I though it was a blood clot. Is there anyway to tell the difference?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
    *Stace*
    Veteran
    (female)

*Stace* HB User
    Re: Calf Pain upon waking up

It sounds like just a regular ol' muscle cramp, they cause the muscle to tighten up, which in turn causes the muscle to bulge out a little. How far along are you? Leg cramps are very common in the later stages of pregnancy.....make sure you stay very hydrated, that helps reduce how often you get them. And to help it go away, hold your leg out straight and flex your foot by pointing your toes towards you, then away, until the pain subsides.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
    AGemini
    (female)

AGemini HB User

I had mild cramping in my calves. What I found that helped for me was drinking water. Make sure you drink lots.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
    mrzshorty
    (female)

mrzshorty HB User

I have had horrible leg cramps with this pregnancy. I had one two mornings ago and my leg/calf still hurts really bad. I am 36 wks pregnant and can't wait till I have no more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
    misip
    Inactive
    (female)

misip HB User

This happened to me this morning, and I actually began to yelp in pain

I haven't been nearly as hydrated as I should be, so I'm sure that why. I also read that eating a banana before going to bed can help.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:04 AM   #6
    xinerevelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

xinerevelle HB User

I already have back problems, which causes numbness and tingling all the way down my left leg. I had charley horses (those muscle spasms you're getting) early on when I hurt my back, and they've returned with a vengenance in the past few weeks.

At first I was freaked out that maybe my back surgery hadn't helped at all (it takes a year or more for the nerves to heal properly, and my surgery was 7 months ago) but after doing some research I discovered that muscle cramps and spasms in the calves are common in pregnancy... sigh. I wake up 2 to 3 times per night with them... and I drink A TON of water every day...

Old 07-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #7
    welsh_becca
    (female)

welsh_becca HB User

im 19 weeks and ive been waking up every night screaming in pain with them but i make sure i drink plenty of fluids

Old 07-16-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
    Green Frog
    (female)

Green Frog HB User

Also, get up and stand on your legs (I know it is the last thing you want to do when in excrutiating pain) but it stretches the muscle and makes the pain go away faster. I also have DH grab my foot and pull my toes towards my knee (which also stretches the muscle and makes it go away). One night I had cramps in the same calf muscle about 8 times in a row with about 30 seconds in between, it was awful, so I feel for ya!

Old 07-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
    Micheybell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Micheybell HB User

thanks for all your responses guys. I must have scared the crap out of my husband b/c I woke up and practically jumped on top of him. I was screaming.

I am 30 weeks now and they just started.

Stace and AGemini - thanks for the tip, I will try to drink more.

Good luck guys.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:17 AM   #10
    Jonanner
    Veteran
    (female)

Jonanner HB User

Hi Micheybell- I'm 30 weeks too, and have been getting these cramps every once in a while. I would get them more, but I catch myself stretching upon waking, which is what usually triggers mine. I also drink A LOT of water, not sure if it helps.

The only things I've heard of that help are water and bananas. I'm not sure if the bananas really work, but I've noticed I usually haven't had one in a couple of days when I get the cramps. This morning I had a really bad one. It felt like it was going from my ankle to the back of my knee. Pointing my foot up towards my body is the only thing I've found that helps once they've started. Also, get up and walk a bit, even after it has gone away, this will help you prevent another one right after. Good Luck!

Old 07-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
    blurb1325
    (female)

blurb1325 HB User

Hi-
    My friend who just had her baby had this about every night. She finaly asked her doctor about it and it's a vitamin deficience which causes it. Her doctor told her to eat a half to a full banana every night and it would stop. She ate a banana every night and never got another one!! Hope this helps!!

Old 07-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #12
    renee05
    (female)

renee05 HB User

It does sound like cramps, I've woke up with them a couple of times. I'm 31 weeks pregnant. One time was horrible I was screaming and my husband slept right through it!! Drink lots of fluids and my dr. also told me to get lots of potassium-bananas are a great source.

Closed Thread