It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Colposcopy at 23 weeks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
    DissolveGurl
    (female)

DissolveGurl HB User
    Colposcopy at 23 weeks

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but being that I'm pregnant I'm just a little curious. My pap came back abnormal, and the doctor has me scheduled for a colposcopy next week, which will be 23 weeks for me.

My first question is, what exactly does this involve? Does it hurt? I am a big baby about pain.

And my second is...I've been having contractions, some painful, some not, for the past few weeks, and my doctor put me on terbutaline for it. Although my cervix doesn't seem to be changing/dilating, doesn't it seem like a bad idea to do this procedure while I'm having contractions like this so much?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
    rbettis
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rbettis HB User
    Re: Colposcopy at 23 weeks

my DH had a colonoscopy done. They give you anesthesia. I think the procedure only lasted 30 minutes. It does not hurt at all. Just follow the instructions after it is done. You will need to drink liquids for 24 hours. He responded really good.

What I don't understand if your pop was abnormal, why would he give you a colonoscopy. There may be reasons why, I am sure.

Regarding the contractions I am not sure. I still haven't had one yet (first baby). But I am sure someone will respond to you regarding it.

Good luck. Let us know how it turned out to be.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
    Sweet73
    (female)

Sweet73 HB User

Hi Dissolve,
    I actually have a few questions...
    Are you with a high risk Dr? Was this your first abnormal pap? If not, have you ever had any previous surgery to remove the abnormal cells?
    I believe that a colposcopy is when they look at your cervix with a special microscope, I don't think they cut or invade (not sure though), however if you are experiencing contractions, I don't know that I would want to stir things up, and if you are not currently with a high risk Dr, I would consult one about this first. Some women who find out that have abnormal paps during pregnancy do nothing until they have the baby, but I suppose the Dr makes that decision based on the results.
    Hope all turns out well. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Regards,
    Sweet

Old 12-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
    soon2bmommy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

soon2bmommy HB User

It depends whether you are getting just a colposcopy, or a colposcopy with biopsy (which they won't know until they look at it). Most drs won't do them while a woman is that far into her pregnancy term.

I would think that having a biopsy done that far into your pregnancy, ESPECIALLY if you are having contractions, isn't a good idea.

I wanted to add, I had abnormal paps before my pregnancy also, and my dr wanted to wait until after I had the baby to go ahead and do anything invasive like that..

Last edited by soon2bmommy; 12-07-2006 at 02:30 PM.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
    rbettis
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rbettis HB User

Hi guys,
    I need to apologize, I thought I read "Colonoscopy" ... but it is actually a "colposcopy". No wonder why I couldn't find the correlation with a pap and a colon. Sorry, I was confused from the get go.

Last edited by rbettis; 12-07-2006 at 02:54 PM.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:18 AM   #6
    DissolveGurl
    (female)

DissolveGurl HB User

Thanx for the replies. I'm not seeing a high risk doctor yet, hopefully I won't end up having to, and they said normally they would do a biopsy with most colposcopies, but when you're pregnant it depends on what they see, and if they can avoid it they will put it off until after you deliver. I guess I'm more worried about what exactly a colposcopy involves, and what they do. My doctor gave me a brief description, saying they would take a closer look at my cervix and use some kind of vinegar??? Does this hurt? He told me it might be "a little uncomfortable" but all doctors say this, and what does he know, he's a man! lol

Old 12-08-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
    uagirl7
    (female)

uagirl7 HB User

I had a colposcopy about 2 years ago and I did have a biopsy with it. The colposcopy itself isn't bad at all. To me, it wasn't any worse than having a pap smear. The biopsy part was very uncomfortable and I did spot for awhile afterwards. I guess they must have removed everything with the biopsy because I have had normal paps ever since. I really don't know if they will do a biopsy being that you are pregnant but the colposcopy itself is nothing to worry about. All they are doing is looking at your cervix with a high powered microscope. I hope everything goes okay!

Old 12-08-2006, 09:06 AM   #8
    alleycat2
    Veteran
    (female)

alleycat2 HB User

This is embarrising but I hope it helps! I thought I was in love wih this guy and we had talked about having a baby. We were trying and then I found out he cheated on me. I went to get my yearly pap and it came up abnormal. IHe had given me some sort of warts. The Doctor did some precedure where he puts this instrument up inside you and burns/freezes off the warts and I am pretty sure it was called a cloposcopy. I am not saying you have this problem because they may use this procedure for other problems. I guess I would ask him what he found. I wasn't pregnant at the time but I don't see him going far up inside that it would harm your pregnancy! It was more umcomfortable than anything and later I had some spotting.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #9
    Heyknack
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heyknack HB User

I had a colposcopy years ago, with no biopsy needed once they took a look...and it was a breeze. It's just basically a little camera that they put in your vagina and look at your cervix. It just allows them to get a much closer look. The displayed my cervix on the tv screen, and I saw it too. It didn't hurt at all (I'm a pain wuss too). Good luck.

Last edited by Heyknack; 12-08-2006 at 09:52 AM.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #10
    DissolveGurl
    (female)

DissolveGurl HB User

Thanks for the replies! Seems like an easy enough procedure as long as I don't have to have the biopsy done, I will cross my fingers! And alleycat, I did test positive for HPV, just never had any warts, but from what I hear 1 in 2 people have it, so it's very common! The only thing that scares me is the risk of cervical cancer. I checked out a book on HPV and it's link to cervical cancer, and it all sounds so complicated, I will just hope for the best and try not to worry about it, since there's nothing they can do until the baby is born anyway

Thanks all!

Closed Thread