It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Naturally inducing labor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2007, 04:53 AM   #1
    KMB531
    (female)

KMB531 HB User
    Naturally inducing labor

Hey ladies....i was wondering if anyone here in previous pregnancies has tried any of the methods of natually inducing labor...eg: Raspberry Leaf Tea, Castor oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Sex, etc......and which methods may have worked best for you if any?.....as i am ever so slowly appraoching the end for me....i am a high risk pregnancy and will have to be medically induced if my due date is reached with no little one...im tryin to avoid having Pitocin..ive heard horror stories!.....any imput would be helpful...thanx!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User
    Re: Naturally inducing labor

I have a friend that used castor oil, as per her doctor. She said she got hemmeroids from going to the bathroom so much, but she was 6 days late.......and it worked! What about sex too.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
    LotusAwakening
    Veteran
    (female)

LotusAwakening HB User

You may also want to try nipple stimulation/milk expression. I've heard good things!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User

The only thing with nipple stimulation, is, you are expected to do it for about 8 hours srtaight before even knowing if it will work. Yikes!

Old 01-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
    paresse
    (female)

paresse HB User

After my water broke, I received deep tissue massage on my legs which are supposed to trigger labor. It worked on some of my friends but not for me.
    I was induced with pitocin because I was not dilated at all. From begining to end the whole labor lasted around 6 hours (I pushed for about 30-45 min). If I were you, I would not worry too much about the pitocin.
    Good luck!

Old 01-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
    barton93
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barton93 HB User

another thing to keep in mind...........not everyone that is induced is put on pitocin. My sister had a baby last year and she was induced and didn't require pitocin.......breaking her waters was enough to get things moving along for her.

I have 2 kids and I wasn't induced with either, but yet........I ended up on pitocin with both because my labors didn't progress too quick. First one ended up being a section due to distress.........but my 2nd one ended up being a 26 hour labor........and I was on pitocin for a good portion of it. I will say that pitocin definately makes it more intense though.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
    shawnaslover
    (female)

shawnaslover HB User

I ate very spicy food and went for a bumpy boat ride. The next morning I was in full blown labor. Castor oil did not work for me, it only made me sick. I have heard that castor oil can put stress on the baby and that could cause them to have a bowel movement inside the womb(meconium). That is hard on their lungs. I hope this helps!
    Shawna

Old 01-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
    lekstroh
    (female)

lekstroh HB User

With my second child, I tried EVERYTHING from about 36 weeks on. Raspberry leaf tea, spicy food, evening primrose oil, walking, running, jumping (for hours a night) Sex, (then sitting with my plevic area raised) I've heard pineapple could work, so I ate an entire pineapple. NOTHING WORKED. I did though go into false labour most times after sex (you need to lay with your pelvic area raised so that semen can stay in there) I was 3 cm dilated before labour even began, my whole labour from the first contraction to when she was born was 1.5 hrs. So it was worth it, even if all that stuff didn't bring the baby that day.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
    KMB531
    (female)

KMB531 HB User

how about clary sage oil

Old 01-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
    luvmy2kids
    (female)

luvmy2kids HB User

Hey ladies, just a lurker, not pregnant... I just wanted to mention that evening primrose oil will not induce labor. If you take it from about 36 weeks on, it will soften your cervix considerably making dilation easier. I was 6 cm dilated with my dd before I even realized I was in labor.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
    sarawithnoH
    Veteran
    (female)

sarawithnoH HB User

Recipe my midwife gave me:
    2 oz castor oil
    1 cup of orange juice
    2 scoops vanilla ice cream
    blend together

If not in active labor within 4 hours, repeat dose

I took this at 8 days late. I was in labor within 4 hours, but it lasted 32 hours. It really didn't taste bad, either. IMO, it is better to let your baby and body tell you when it is time. With my first, I was induced at the hospital. I induced myself with this recipe. Both labors were terrible and my kids didn't want to come out.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #12
    levi'smum
    (female)

levi'smum HB User

hello i have read that this might sound funny but giving your paartner oral sex will bring on labour due to swallowing the sperm the hormones will bring on labour more effectively then having sex which the sperm sofens the cervix. extreamly ripe pineapple, a long walk, a bumpy car ride, and putting am expressing machine on to stimulate milk flow. i was induced with my first baby after going nine days over but went into labour the night before so just the thought of induction worked for me. good luck. i hope to be on time with my new bub due in a month so i will be trying a few methods of my own will let everyone knoe what worked.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
    ashlyn71203
    (female)

ashlyn71203 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Naturally inducing labor

Hi! I'm working on my 3rd right now. I was induced with both my first two. DS my first was horrible, it took almost 3 days, and they thought they were going to have to do a C-section. My DD however all it took was the Cervidel (the cream that they put next to your cervix). All inductions are different. I'm due with the current one the 7th of March, 2007, and the doctors are already throwing dates at me for induction. I talked with my midwife about it, and she told me I should eat Eggplant Parmigiana and have sex. The recipe was on ABC's GOOD MORNING AMERICA, so just try the search words eggplant parmigiana and ABC and it should take you right to it. I ate it last night, and have been having contractions (irregular, but still contractions) all day. So maybe it really does work.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #14
    LovinArmyWife05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User

I tried everything with my son except sex because well my husband wasn't home. None of them worked for me. Pitocin didnt even work for me it took for them to break my water than give me pitocin for anything to happen. I think it all depends on your pain tolerance, because pitocin really wasn't that bad for me at least. I might have a higher pain tolerance. But try everything you know. Some people just aren't ready or their bodys just wont induce them on their own, so you have to be induced. I think that is what all of my babies are going to be. That is what my dr is thinking with this baby. But I really didnt have much of a problem with DS and hopefully wont with this one either. Good luck..btw castor oil is HORRIBLE!!!!

Closed Thread