It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Echogenic focus on right ventricle

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2007, 02:19 AM   #1
    simaghosh
    (female)

simaghosh HB User
    Echogenic focus on right ventricle

I am 28 year old women running in 21st week of pregnancy. Doctor told me that my baby has echogenic focus on his right ventricle. What does that mean. How to get rid of this problem. What are the consequenies of this problem. Do we have any medicine to get rid of this problem

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
    srivera
    Veteran
    (male)

srivera HB User
    Re: Echogenic focus on right ventricle

The echogenic focus in the right ventricle denotes a mineralization, or calcium deposit within the heart tissue. Most EIF's clear up by the third trimester and pose no medical harm. However, if blood work shows a chromosomal error, it could note the possibility of Down's Syndrome. But that is pretty unlikely since it accounts for about 1% of echogenic focus cases. Being in your 21st week I would say to give it some time and when they do another u/s it will most likely be gone.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:34 AM   #3
    simaghosh
    (female)

simaghosh HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by srivera View Post
    The echogenic focus in the right ventricle denotes a mineralization, or calcium deposit within the heart tissue. Most EIF's clear up by the third trimester and pose no medical harm. However, if blood work shows a chromosomal error, it could note the possibility of Down's Syndrome. But that is pretty unlikely since it accounts for about 1% of echogenic focus cases. Being in your 21st week I would say to give it some time and when they do another u/s it will most likely be gone.
    Thank you so much for the reply. We were very much in panic state, because we already lost one baby, because of stiil born.
    Once again, Thanks a lot.
    Regards
    Sima

Last edited by simaghosh; 01-28-2007 at 01:39 AM.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
    archelle
    (female)

archelle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by simaghosh View Post
    I am 28 year old women running in 21st week of pregnancy. Doctor told me that my baby has echogenic focus on his right ventricle. What does that mean. How to get rid of this problem. What are the consequenies of this problem. Do we have any medicine to get rid of this problem
    Hi Sima,
    I posted something similar today and the person who responded to you said the same thing to me, and I was searching all over for this post just to know if you have any updates. I am 20 weeks and they saw a calcium deposit on my unborn baby's heart and we are alarmed by this bec. they said it could indicate but they're not really sure, chromosomal error but I already had a Nuchal testing done w/c came out normal. The geneticist didn't call me today to follow up either so I hate the fact that I have to wait till next week. I have an echo in 2 weeks. Just wondering if your baby's echogenic foci dissapeared yet? Are they doing an echo on you or blood test? My Hubby has a heart condition that's why they're concern. Also I am 34 yrs. old. But my OB said I don't need amnio. Ahhh I am so freaked out. Please give me an update on yours .Thank you so much.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
    ambiegirl
    (female)

ambiegirl HB User

Hello,

I am 36 wks pg with twins and we found the same thing at 20 wks on one of the babies. Given that bloodwork is skewed with twins, they did not do the triple screen for us. However, if you are pg with a singleton, you probably had this done and these results combined with your NT scan and age will give you a more accurate idea of your risks. We were also advised not to get an amnio because the risk of miscarriage is higher than the risk of Downs even with an echogenic focus. We did another scan a few wks ago and it is still there. We will only know for sure at birth, however the doctors keep trying to reassure us that there is a very high rate of false positives with the IEF and the majority of the time, they mean nothing. Apparently, there has been a lot of discussion about whether to provide this info to pg patients as it causes a lot of stress (no kidding), but is usually no cause for alarm.

Hopefully all of us will end up with happy, healthy babies that have no chromosomal concerns.

Best of luck.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
    archelle
    (female)

archelle HB User
    Smile Re: Echogenic focus on right ventricle

Ambiegirl, thank you so much for your input. I am less stressed now and just hoping and praying for you and your twins and all of us who are in this situation. Please keep me posted on your birth, you are almost there you must be excited. I can't wait myself to see my little beanie BTW, what are you having boys? Girls? Or both? Advanced congrats on your twins and goodluck on your birth. Please keep me posted.

Ella

Old 03-20-2007, 05:40 AM   #7
    simaghosh
    (female)

simaghosh HB User

Good Evening,

My baby came to this world on 13th march 2007 & is healthy with evething is fine. she is little underweight else everything is fine. Thanks once again for good suggestion at right time.
    My best wishes to you.

Regards
    Sima

Old 06-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
    stct1
    (female)

stct1 HB User

Hi-

I am not sure if you are still online but I was wondering how everything turned out. I am 18 wks pregnant and I was told that have echogenic foci on the baby's heart. I had good quad screen results but they mentioned trisomy18 as a remote possibility and that I needed to get a phase 2 Ultrasound. I am terrified. I was wondering if everything worked ok with you and your baby.

Closed Thread