It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Choroid plexus cyst

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
    Sweet73
    (female)

Sweet73 HB User
    Choroid plexus cyst

Hi Ladies,
    Today DH & I had our Level II ultrasound, we got to see our beautiful little girl moving all over the place & got quite a few great pictures too. All was going great until the Dr told us that she has a Choroid plexus cyst in her brain. She then went on to tell us that this is found in 1-2% of babies between 16-24 weeks & will usually go away by week 28, however it can also be a marker for Trisomy 18. We had a Nuchal at 12 weeks, and our odds were 1 in 10,000 for Trisomy 18, but now of course I am worried about our baby. They found no other markers on the sonogram for Trisomy 18, so it is an isolated marker, and that makes the odds of her not having Trisomy 18 even better. I believe she is perfectly normal & healthy.
    I am just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this, had a baby diagnosed with this during a sonogram, and the outcome.
    Thank you so much for any input.
    -Sweet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
    koukla3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

koukla3 HB User
    Re: Choroid plexus cyst

Sweet 73~

Im sorry to hear about what they saw on your Level II ultrasound. I have heard about that being an indication for Trisomy 18 however I also have heard that they resolve in most cases and they baby turns out fine. Did you have a quad screening done? If so did it have any indications of Trisomy 18? Other things they can see on a level 2 ultrasound that may indicate trisomy 18 are rocker bottom feet and a heart that hasn't formed all of its chambers. If everything else looked fine hopefully it is just an incidental finding that will resolve before 28 weeks. You can look on the trisomy 18 webpage for more information. I would try to relax and stay calm and positive.

I had a quad screening that came back (+) for Trisomy 18 even though I had genetic testing done early on in my pregnancy (CVS test) which said my baby was fine. We had a level 2 and found nothing. These tests are screenings...not diagnostic. If you are extremely nervous you could have an amniocentesis done and you will know 100% within 1-2 weeks of the test what the genetic make up of your baby is. That can definately put your mind at ease. Maybe talk to your doctor about your options.

Good luck and I will say a prayer for you and your baby!!!

Koukla

Old 01-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
    Sweet73
    (female)

Sweet73 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I had a Quad screening today because of the Level II findings, so I will get those results within 10 days. I had a Nuchal & AFP testing done, and at the time the odds showed 1-10,000. I am going to stay calm & relaxed as much as I can, I know she is going to be just fine, but it is hard to not worry at all. There were no other findings other that the CPC which is very good. My Dr did not think an amnio was warranted based on that alone.
    Thank you for your thoughts & prayers.
    -Sweet

Old 01-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
    2fst
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

2fst HB User

They got me really worried over this when I was pg with DS. The majority of time that there is a cyst there is nothing wrong. If all your other tests come out fine, don't worry. I was worried the whole time I was pg. After my c-section and in the days following I was so wrapped up in my son that I forgot about the cyst thing. It wasn't until my mom brought it up, that I was like oh, I guess he is fine.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:47 AM   #5
    victoria48
    Veteran
    (female)

victoria48 HB User

My little man was diagnosed with a choroid plexus cyst at my 20 week scan. I paid for a private scan a couple of weeks later (we're in UK so 20 weeks scan is free on NHS) and there were actually 2 cysts then but no other markers.

My doctor advised against the amnio as in his opinion the risk of the amnio outweighed the benefit.

When I had a growth scan a few weeks later (my bump was small but measurements were fine from the growth scan) the cysts had gone although this has no bearing on whether the baby would have trisomy 18 as the cysts always disappear anyway as far as I know.

I am now coming up to 39 weeks pregnant and have just had to try to put the cyst thing out of my mind. He is still very active and healthy as far as I know.

Hopefully I will be posting here in a couple of weeks time that I have a healthy baby boy. I know it's really worrying at first but there is absolutely nothing you can do - just hope for the best and try not to think about it too much.

Good Luck.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
    JuniorsMommy929
    Veteran
    (female)

JuniorsMommy929 HB User

sweet73
    yes my first son was said to have had this and before he was born it was gone, and now he is 16 months and a happy healthy baby, dont stress over it!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
    Kathp
    (female)

Kathp HB User

Hi Sweet. Good to hear an update from you... I was thinking about you just the other day.

With regards to the cyst thing, I have zero personal experience of this, but have read numerous posts on this and other boards relating to this. From what I can gather, the odds are that these cysts disappear before birth. I totally appreciate that you're worried, but with all the other tests being clear, I wouldn't freak out over the Trisomy.. it seems highly unlikely. I hope the cyst clears up all by itself and that you can enjoy the rest of your so deserved pregnancy.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:11 AM   #8
    Sweet73
    (female)

Sweet73 HB User

Hi Victoria,
    my thoughts & prayers are with you & your little one. I know we will both have a normal healthy baby. Can't wait to hear your update!
    -Sweet

Old 01-31-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
    RedOnion
    (female)

RedOnion HB User

I just wanted to let you know that a close friend of mine just went through this with her last pregnancy. I forget what her screening results came back as for Trisomy 18, but they were increased risk. And then the u/s showed cysts on her brain. She was so worried for so many weeks, but eventually the cysts did resolve on their own. I know it was later in her pregnancy-maybe week 28 or so? i don't recall, but i remember it was a long time that she was stressed out. Baby is doing fine- ended up born at 9.5lbs!

Old 01-31-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User

I just read on a site too that said if there is only one marker for this, in this case being the cyst, that it rarely ever turns out that the baby actually has Triosmy 18. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry and know that you are going to have a happy and healthy baby.

Last edited by Delia79; 01-31-2007 at 08:44 AM.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #11
    Sweet73
    (female)

Sweet73 HB User

Hi Girls,
    Thank you so much for your replies... they are all very comforting & reassuring. I have been reading up on it, and for the very first time, I have not made myself feel worse by doing internet research! I am still open to hearing more happy endings so keep them coming.
    Thanks again!!!!
    -Sweet

Closed Thread