It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• when to go to the hospital?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
    paresse
    (female)

paresse HB User
    when to go to the hospital?

Hello. Even though I'm only 29 weeks, I'm already worried about how to time to contractions to give myself enough time to go to the hospital. I live in a big metropolitan area with numerous hospitals. Unfortunately the one I chose (with a highly regarded birthing center) is about 45 minutes away, maybe more if this happens at rush hour. Kind of silly when I think that I could just walk down to the nearest hospital to me (about a 5 min. walk). With my first child my water broke at 35 weeks and I was induced so I never really had contractions outside of the delivery room.
    Seeing the distance to the hospital, and that this will be my second child, how far apart should my contractions be before I call a cab? I appreciate any suggestion from you. Unfortunately I've had back luck with my obs and cannot rely on any info from them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
    jmcummins3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jmcummins3 HB User
    Re: when to go to the hospital?

If you are that far away from the hospital and this isn't your first child, you may want to leave as soon as you start having contractions and not wait until they are 5 minutes or so apart. Or, you can always page your doctor as soon as you go into labor and ask them if you should leave for the hospital. Even if you got there and had to wait quite a while, at least you'd be there in time for the birth. If they send you home, perhaps you could get a hotel room down the street from that hospital if you think you'll be back soon.

That's my biggest fear - not making it to the hospital in time. This is my 3rd pregnancy and my first 2 came quick. We now live 1/2 hour to 45 minutes away from our hospital of choice (longer if rush hour) and I have a 2-year-old to find someone to watch when I go into labor this time around (my oldest is 12 and will be in Phoenix with her dad when this baby is due). It should be interesting!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
    kittykatmommy
    (female)

kittykatmommy HB User

hi, i dont want to worry you because everyone is differant... but when i had my first child, i was induced, but the labor was for 17 hours... so when i started labor at home with my second one, i sat at home for 30 minutes but on my way to the hospital which was 40 mins away my contractions suddenly went from 5 minutes apart to less than a minute, by the time i got to the hospital and walked through the front doors i was having to hold my legs together... i had her within 10 minutes of entering the hospital, in total from start of contractions to her being cleaned up and in my arms was a hour and 26 minutes... so be for warned if your worryed leave when your contractions are 7 to 10 minutes apart i want to go to a hospital that is a almost hour drive from home, and i plan on leaving as soon as the contractions start, and i also plan to have a cell phone with me just in case i cant make it... thats my advice for you, i hope this helps you and doesnt freak you out, i like the other suggestion, keep money set aside for a motel just in case

Old 02-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
    levi'smum
    (female)

levi'smum HB User

i live an hour away from the hospital i plan to give birth in i am 4 days over due today and should be induced tomorrow i was told that if labour started spontainsly that i should drive pretty much staright away my first was induced 9 days over and that al happened in hosp as well. i went out and brought a hot water bottle for the drive to put behind my back. i would leave as soon as your sure, my fear was ending up giving birth in the car on the side of the road silly i know.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
    Kiedy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiedy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by levi'smum View Post
    i would leave as soon as your sure, my fear was ending up giving birth in the car on the side of the road silly i know.
    Levi'mum, you're not being silly, my friend just had her third baby, delivered her 20 min after getting to the hospital, BUT her second baby, she didn't want to go to the hosptial too early, well she delivered the baby in the hospital parking lot w/ the help of the parametics. So it can definitly happen.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:49 AM   #6
    paresse
    (female)

paresse HB User

Thanks for your replies. You all confirmed my thoughts, and fears! I wish that staying in a nearby hotel was an option but I live in an expensive city and a hotel room would start at $350+. I will probably leave for the hospital by the time the contractions are 10 - 12 mins apart. Thanks again!

Closed Thread