It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Choroid Plexus Cycsts??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
    dee7
    (female)

dee7 HB User
    Choroid Plexus Cycsts??

Just wondering if anyone else had this come up on your second trimester u/s.

I had my 18w yesterday and one of my twins has these cysts in the brain. What I have been told is that the baby has less than 1% chance of having a chromosomal abnormality. But in the next breath I was told that my earcly scan and blood test for Down's and Trisomy was perfctly normal and that the baby shows no signs of any of the physical abnormalities that go with either.

I am not getting worked up over this at all! I am 35 and went into this pregnancy knowing that at my age I had a chance to begin with. I hate when Dr.'s tell you too much info!

Dee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
    srivera
    Veteran
    (male)

srivera HB User
    Re: Choroid Plexus Cycsts??

Hi Dee - Just thought I would let you know that my wife and I found out at our 20 week u/s that our little girl had a Choroid Plexus Cyst (CPC) on the left side of her brain that was roughly 1/6th the size of that lobe. Basically the Choroid Plexus is a series of folds where the cerebro-spinal fluid is produced. The cyst has no bearing on growth or development both physical or mental. They have been losely lonked to Trisomy 18, but there are almost always other visible abnormalities on the u/s to show for that. They include, heart deformities, deformed hands, rocker bottom feet, and reduced or absent radius in the arm. Given your maternal age of 35 and a normal quad screen result your associated risk of your baby having trisomy 18 is 1 in 454.

CPC's are really not concerning unless there are other visable anomalies on the ultrasound. They are found in nearly 50% of all adult autopsies in the US, making them very prevalent in adults as well, even though we never know about them. The instance of finding them in babies ranges from about 1% of all ultrasounds to nearly 4%.

Hopefully this helps ease your fears, if you have any questions feel free to ask. I did a ton of research when ours was diagnosed with one.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
    Sweet73
    (female)

Sweet73 HB User
    Re: Choroid Plexus Cycsts??

Hi Dee,
    My little girl also had CPC's on her brain during our 2nd trimester scan... I was told that because it was an isolated marker (no other abnormalities noted) that she is not at a high risk for Downs or Trisomy 18. My Quad screen & Nuchal scan we also completely normal.. the Dr hated even having to tell me about the CPC because she didn't want to make me worry, but had to tell me by law. Our situations sound the same.. I am currently 28+weeks & the cycsts are gone.
    I'm sure everything is fine. Best of luck.
    -Sweet

Closed Thread