It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Terribly scared lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2007, 05:08 AM   #1
    moulinmomma
    (female)

moulinmomma HB User
    Terribly scared lexapro

I'm 27 a mother to three already. Around feb my insurance laspsed and I was unable to get my meds. Yasmin and Lexapro. Obviously by the title I'm pregnant and so very excited. However I'm terrified at the same time because since march I have been taking my lexapro. I know its a class c drug meaning it has not been tested for pregnancy. I need medication. Without it I have horrible panic attacks depression and mood swings.
    Also I started BC because of amnorhea. When I stopped after two weeks and didn't have a period I realised I should take a test. I have pregnancy symptoms ill at night, swollen breasts ect. Been here before know what to expect but has anyone taken either BC or lexapro in the beginning trimester and had no ill effects? Please help I go into the doctors next week but am driving myself crazy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
    megss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

megss HB User
    Re: Terribly scared lexapro

I have never taken either while pregnant, however I used to take Lexapro. I switched to a different med a while ago because my insurance changed and the lexapro was going to be too expensive. I suffer from depression and have since age 13 or 14, and I am taking Celexa right now during my pregnancy which is considered safe. There are options out there if you feel you need the meds like I did.
    I would not take the lexapro though until you talk to you doctor about it, but I am sure the baby is just fine!
    Good luck!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User

Hi there! I haven't taken lexapro, but have taken other anti-anxiety meds before I was pregnant. I was taking Levaquin when I was very newly pregnant with ds, which is considered borderline dangerous (wasn't planning on getting pregnant, had strep throat) and everyone was fine. Ds is healthy and happy. Try not to worry, your OB will give you a script for a safer medication to take from here on out, it's really common to take things like this before getting pregnant, you didn't do any harm. Also, tons of wonen get pregnant while taking BC, so it can't be considered unsafe, because there is always a chance it could happen. I hope this helps.I'm sure your doctor can reassure you more. Congratulations!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
    E1979
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

E1979 HB User

Just wanted to chime in. I also have never taken Lexapro but was taking Effexor which wasn't really tested during pregnancy because it is fairly new. So when I found out I was pregnant I weened myself off and tried to make a go of not taking anything. I lasted 2 months and my depression came back too hard to ignore it. So my Dr switched my to Zoloft and gave me all the lastest info on it related to pregnancy. I actually really like zoloft and will stay on it after I am done breast feeding.
    I hope you find something that works for you that your dr feels is safe to take. Good luck!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User

Hi. I do not take any antidepressants, but I do take a class C drug and am 29weeks along. I've been taking it throughout my entire pregnancy and haven't had any problems at all. It is a heart medication that slows my heart rate down. I couldn't have done with out it and my OB said that the risks of me not taking it definitely out weighed the risks of the medicine itself. So I know it's scary, believe me, I was very hesitant of it as well, but you have to decide if it's better for you to be on the medicine while pregnant or not. And your doctor will not suggest you take something that could really harm your baby.

Good luck, and I am sure everything will turn out great!

Old 04-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
    alpdance
    (female)

alpdance HB User

I was taking Prozac when I conceived and I stopped right when I found out I was pregnant. My doctor was not concerned about it. She was glad that I had switched from Paxil (which actually worked really well for my anxiety) since Paxil has been known to cause problems in pregnancy. I saw a perinatologist, who was very knowledgeable about anti-depressants and their use in pregnancy--she said she sees so many patients who need them. After hearing the pros and cons, I decided not to take any medication during pregnancy and I can tell you the first 10-12 weeks were rough. But, on the bright side, my anxiety is very much better now that I am at 17 weeks. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I remember being much less anxious when I was pregnant before too. So, although you may require meds, you may also find like me that after the first trimester your anxiety may subside somewhat. Good luck to you.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
    LotusAwakening
    Veteran
    (female)

LotusAwakening HB User

i have taken lexapro and me and baby are fine. some women i know of are on meds like valium and other anti-anxiety meds that have been cleared by their doctors. i am now on ambien cr which id also a class c drug. it was prescribed for me by my ob at 35 weeks. in situations like yours doctors usually weigh the risk of benefits to the mother with potential harm to baby. many people do not know this but it is illeagal for ANY meds to be tested on pregnant women. the meds that are generally considered safe for pregnant women are still just assumed to be safe. none are guarenteed...oh, i was also on xanax when i first became pregnant.

Last edited by LotusAwakening; 04-17-2007 at 09:20 PM. Reason: add on

Closed Thread