It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Hair coloring...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
    mlswim
    (female)

mlswim HB User
    Hair coloring...

My friend is 35 weeks pregnant and is going to have her baby shower on 4-28. She's feeling really down and depressed (she's only 18 and the dad left...they weren't really in a relationship anyway and he has a bad rep.) so she's been wanting to pamper herself. She wanted to get highlights and lowlights in her hair but I convinced her to wait until I could find out the effects on the baby because I saw the snippet on the news about Britney Spears dying her hair when she was pregnant but I couldn't remember if it was okay for the baby or not. Does anyone know? Also, if it's bad for the baby, what are some other ways for her to be pampered? For her baby shower I got her a gift certificate for a prenatal massage but she's seriously feeling down...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
    LovinArmyWife05
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LovinArmyWife05 HB User
    Re: Hair coloring...

I've dyed my hair my entire pregnancy, with this one and my previous child. The only thing is the hormones might make the color come out what it's not supposed to be. So since she's almost done with her pregnancy I'd tell her to stick it out, I know it sounds bad, but you dont want her to have the wrong color or it not just be the right color. I had that issue last pregnancy. But I had no problems with DS and my dr never said anything to me about it

Old 04-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
    LotusAwakening
    Veteran
    (female)

LotusAwakening HB User

it is totally safe. i've done it several times during pregnancy (starting in my 2nd trimester) and baby is just fine. lots and lots of women color their hair while they're pregnant. i never had the color come out funny. it's always turned out like it always has...prenatal massage is a great idea. i like to get facials and spa pedicures myself.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
    jmcummins3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jmcummins3 HB User

This is always a debate between OB's. My last OB said yes after the first trimester. He said that it's been a controvercial issue, but the reports came out indicating that it's not harmful unless you were to leave the color on for more than 24 hours (no one does that anyhow), and even then, there is only a slight risk to the baby. If she is concerned, she can always get temporary color (it's basically the same thing but doesn't have the harsh chemicals that permanent color does). Highlights don't touch your scalp, so they're not a problem. My hairdresser recommended temporary color during my last pregnancy, and this time around I get temporary color for the lowlights and normal highlights. It looks the same as the normal permanent lowlights with highlights and lasts just as long.

Keep in mind, like the other poster said, the pregnancy hormones may make the color come out different than it would if she wasn't pregnant. My color turned out fine, but my sister-in-law had this happen. Her hair looked fine, it was just drier than normal and her highlights took over so her hair was a lot lighter than normal. It still looked good, it just wasn't what she had planned on when she went to the salon; it wasn't ruined or anything and she didn't look like a freak...LOL!

As far as other pampering, a manicure and pedicure are always nice. I've never had a facial but always wanted one. Prenatal massages are the bomb! New lotion, perfume or make-up is always a nice pick-me-up too.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
    srivera
    Veteran
    (male)

srivera HB User

Just to follow up, pre-natal massage is wonderful for the mommy-to-be. And facials are great. I have had a couple, I know a guy getting facials, but they really are worth it. You come out feeling amazingly better. I think if she is still in a bad mood after a mani-,pedi-, facial, and massage the girl needs a lot of help. Good luck and I hope she gets to feeling better!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
    MaryChaos
    (female)

MaryChaos HB User

If you're doing it at home, it'd be fine as long as there was some good ventilation because of the fumes.. Other than that, I've dyed my hair while I was pregnant and everything seems to be going alright still.

Closed Thread