It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Choroid Plexus Cysts?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
    yellowbird14
    (female)

yellowbird14 HB User
    Choroid Plexus Cysts?

Hi everyone. I just found out today that my 18 week ultrasound showed that my baby has 2 choroid plexus cysts on his brain. Of course, I immediately felt terrified and wanted to burst into tears, but the doctor explained that these are fairly common and that he "sees them all the time" and a lot of times they turn out to be nothing at all, especially if they are not accompanied by anything else out of the ordinary. The doctor told me that everything else appeared fine in the u/s, and that it was just the 2 cysts. He scheduled me for a Level 2 Ultrasound to look into it further, but I just spent the day crying and crying, worrying about what these CPCs might be an indication OF - chromosomal abnormalities, etc.

After doing some research on the internet, it appears that these CPCs often disappear by the time future ultrasounds are performed, and that they can often stay with us our entire lives and mean nothing. But I wanted to know if there is anyone on this board who has also experienced this, and if so, would you be willing to share your stories? How much should I be worrying? Are CPCs really all that common? I'd never heard of them before. My level 2 u/s is June 4th, and I just think I will be a nervous wreck until then. Thank you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
    srivera
    Veteran
    (male)

srivera HB User
    Re: Choroid Plexus Cysts?

Good Morning Yellowbird,

Let me first start by saying Choroid Plexus Cysts (CPCs) alone are benign. A CPC is a fluid filled portion of the Choroid Plexus in the base of the brain. Being in that region makes them seem scary, but they are in no way linked to any part of the brain associated with growth, motor skills, learning, or anything developmental. They are in the location where cerebro-spinal fluid is produced and stored, and the Choroid Plexus itself is a series of folded tissue. Sometimes that folded tissue causes a back-up of the CS fluid, resulting in a cyst. Since the fluid is contained within the Choroid Plexus, there is no risk of hydrocephaly, which means no need for drainage tubes.

My wife and I found out at our 20 week u/s that our little girl had a unilateral CPC that was 1/6th the size of her left lobe of the brain. It was easily seen on the u/s, even though at the time I had no clue what it was. What your little one has are bilateral CPCs. Basically that means there is more than one evident. Most CPCs are gone by 28 weeks and they will schedule you for a secondary level II u/s around then to check. If your little one still has the CPC at that time, there is still no cause for concern. Babies are born with them and go on to have normal healthy lives. Ours was completely gone at 28-weeks, and she will be 34-weeks tomorrow. Your OB or perinatologist will probably talk about having an amnio done. If the CPC is the lone risk factor, my advice would be to not have the amnio done as it carries a higher risk than the CPC alone.

The number of CPCs found in fetus' in the US is kind of uncertain. I have seen stats that range from 1 in 100 to 1 in 25. So they are fairly common, and are much easier to see with todays increasing technology. the reason for concern with a CPC is they have been loosely linked with primarily Trisomy 18, which can be devastating to an unborn child. Given that your doctor saw no other obvious anomalies on the u/s, you are probably in the clear. T-18 babies will typically have major defects visible by 18 weeks, that can easily be seen on a normal u/s, and the L-II will confirm that these are not present. They include: heart defects, cleft palate/lip, overlapped curled fingers, rocker bottom feet, liver defects, and decreased or absent forearm bones.

Did you have the triple or quad screen test performed? If so, the results can help to rule out the possibility of a cromosomal issue. Also, how old are you? Age can also decrease your risk of having a T-18 baby. If you tell me these two things I can give you your associated risk of having a T-18 baby.

Most, if not all, adults will have a CPC during their lifetime. A survey of autopsies performed in the U.S. showed that about one-half of people had a CPC at the time of death and was no way related to their death.

Hopefully some of that will ease your mind on the subject, and know that your little one will be fine.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:09 AM   #3
    Miracleawaiting
    (female)

Miracleawaiting HB User

Hello,
    I just found out at my 18 week u/s that my son to has Bilateral Choroid plexus cysts. My doctor first suggestion was an amnio to be done soon. I told him that i needed to think about it before i made that decision. After reading what you wrote and many other stories and information, i feel that I am to in this situation on whether to choose or not to choose the amnio. I am hoping that what you have stated that these are common and normally go away is my case as well, because the thought of having an amnio to find out and then loose this precious little boy due to my water breaking and then to find that it was not necessary because my son is healthy. My first look report back when i was 11 weeks was normal and there where no indication of any abnormalities at all. And yesterdays 18 week u/s found no other abnormalities that you have stated other then the two cysts. I guess I just need to hear that I am doing the right thing.

Thank you,

Michelle B.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
    srivera
    Veteran
    (male)

srivera HB User

Michelle,

Sorry to hear you are having to go through the twists and turns of having a CPC show on the ultrasound. How old are you? That can help determine whether an amnio is the wisest choice or not.

You can also ask your OB to refer you to a Perinatologist, and OB with extra time spent with high-risk pregnancies, for a level II ultrasound. This u/s will be more in depth and they can go organ by organ to check for abnormalities.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
    Sweet73
    (female)

Sweet73 HB User

My baby also had 2 CPC's on our 18 week u/s. The Dr said as an isolated marker they normally mean nothing (her baby had them also & was fine). I was given the option to have an amnio, although they said they did not feel it was needed, and we decided against it. The CPC's have gone away on there own. I am now 37 1/2 weeks pregnant. I will not lie & say it is not a concern of mine, but from everything I was told & read about them, alone they mean nothing. Wishing all of us happy, healthy babies!!
    -Sweet

Old 06-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
    yellowbird14
    (female)

yellowbird14 HB User

Thank you for replying, Srivera. I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to you - my computer crashed last week and it's being fixed (I'm using Mom's).

I will start by telling you my age - 23, will be 24 at delivery. Also, I went for my Level 2 u/s. They said my baby is growing very well and that the cysts are still there. They looked very closely at all of his organs and didn't see anything abnormal, so that made me feel a lot better. However, they then mentioned that, when they took the nuchal fold measurement, he was a bit over the average limit. They said that some places use 5 mm as the cut-off, and THEIR center uses 6 mm. The baby's nuchal fold measurement was 6.4 mm. She told me not to worry too much, because it could be that the baby wasn't exactly in the ideal position when they took the measurement, or it could be hereditary (i.e. if my husband comes from a family of short-necked men, the skin at the back could be thicker as a result). She reassured me that although it is slightly thicker than what they usually like to see, that again, it isn't even by a whole millimeter, and it could mean nothing. However, since there were already CPCs and now a slightly thicker nuchal fold measurement, that, yes, there are now 2 red flags to be concerned about, but that it could still not be an indication of anything, especially since the rest of his organs looked fine (heart, no cleft palate, hands were fine, they checked for spina bifida, etc). She gave a ballpark 95% chance that he would come out totally healthy.

She did address the amnio idea, but I decided against it. I'd hate to have it done only to lose a perfectly healthy baby, if there is a complication resulting from the procedure. It's much too far along, and this baby is a part of me already, so it's not as if I'd terminate the pregnancy anyway. I just have to try to be patient and wait another 4 months to find out.

I never did the AFP screening, because my OB told me that it has a 10% false positive rate, and I thought I'd probably rather not know, especially if it came back positive, I know I'd be a wreck.

Anyway, we will just have to wait and see, and I pray that he will come out healthy.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to yellowbird14 For This Useful Post:
    jerry aby (06-06-2012)
    Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
    srivera
    Veteran
    (male)

srivera HB User

Yellowbird -

I am glad that the L II did not show any anomalies other than the slightly larger than average nuchal. I would not put too much stock into that as the measurements at such a young age in the fetal span can be very difficult to calculate. As you can imagine just a couple of pixels on the screen is a large area when you think about it in relation to the size of your baby. So if where they measured/clicked, was 2 pixels off it could account for the slight increase. That is why ultrasounds kind of come with a disclaimer about measurements that they are ballpark estimates.

With an age of conception of 23 years old and apparent isolated CPC's the risk of your baby having Trisomy 18 is 1 in 479. Had you gotten the triple/quad screen that would have increased to as high as 1 in 1,708 with a normal result. That being said the apparent risk of T-18 would make your chances of having a healthy baby more like 99.8% as opposed to the doctor quoted 95%.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
    Miracleawaiting
    (female)

Miracleawaiting HB User

I am 31 years old, and I am seeing a high risk doctor due to the fact that I have IC and have a transabdominal cerclage placed at 11 weeks. Everything else seems to be normal according to the U/S report I received. After talking to many people and to the doctor that placed the Transabdominal Cerclage he made me call my MFM and ask them if the baby size was right for my gestational age (18 weeks) and if he had an open hand, both are normal along with everything else is normal besides seeing these CPC's.

Michelle B.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
    srivera
    Veteran
    (male)

srivera HB User

Michelle -

Did you have the triple or quad screen done on you? Without it and with isolated CPC's your risk of having T-18 is 1 in 264. If you had it done and got a normal reading for T-18 1 in 940. The reason they wanted to know if the hands were open is because that isone of the key signs of T-18. Closed fists with overlapping index finger and pinky.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
    Miracleawaiting
    (female)

Miracleawaiting HB User

My doctor did the First look nuchol fold at 11 weeks and everything came back as normal. I asked about the triple and quad screen to be ran now and the doctor told me no because the first look was done.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:08 AM   #11
    Miracleawaiting
    (female)

Miracleawaiting HB User

I am 31 years old, my doctor will not do either of those tests because I had a first look done at 11 weeks that came back normal. My Nuchol Fold is still coming back normal. Nothing else is wrong with my son at all. The whole time during the u/s the tech kept saying wow how active he is, and i said yes he. she then said well that is good because an active baby is a healthy baby!! I believe that. I am afraid of the amnio, I have had two losses in the past due to IC and now have a transabdominal cerclage placed at 11 weeks to correct the problem, so i am seeing a high risk doctor.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:28 AM   #12
    srivera
    Veteran
    (male)

srivera HB User

I wish you and your little one the best of luck. It sounds like the CPC is just an isolated incident that should be gone by about 28 weeks.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
    Miracleawaiting
    (female)

Miracleawaiting HB User

I went to my genetic counseling appointment and left there feeling alot better about my decision of not having the amnio. There is a 99.3% chance that this son of mine is healthy. I like that statistic makes me feel alot better. I know i will worry till i am told there are no more cysts of course. Thank you for your help and opinions they have been so helpful.

Michelle B.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:43 AM   #14
    Miracleawaiting
    (female)

Miracleawaiting HB User

Hello Everyone,

I just thought i would share the good news so that women like myself can see positive outcomes after being told that your baby has Billaterial Choroid Plexus Cysts. I had my 20 week u/s yesterday and the cysts could not be seen. I am having u/s every two weeks and was so excited to know that they have already gone away, so for those women that i have been scared to death and only have Isollated CPC's that this is to me part of development and doctors have to tell you even though it seems cruel at the time, I totally understand how that could fustrate someone believe me. I have opted not to have the amnio done because I did not want to risk rupturing my membranes because my history of losses due to IC. Good Luck and all will go well!!!

Michelle B

Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 AM   #15
    srivera
    Veteran
    (male)

srivera HB User

Congrats Michelle!!

It is such a relief to have the doctor not see them anymore. Even though they don't cause any damage on their own, it is still scary to hear "cyst in the brain" of your unborn child. I am glad your little one got rid of them so quickly!

Closed Thread