It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Any pregnant moms on heparin shots.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2007, 05:55 AM   #1
    Amy 333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Amy 333 HB User
    Any pregnant moms on heparin shots.

Hi

Just started my heparin shots last tuesday and would love to know if any other pregnant moms had any issues with heparin.
    I am considered high risk due to a blood condition known as essential thrombocytosis where my bone marrow produces excessive amounts of platelets making me prone to clots.
    I was assured that these do not harm the baby though would love to have more support.

Thanks.
    AMy

Last edited by Amy 333; 06-30-2007 at 05:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
    jcarpenter
    (female)

jcarpenter HB User
    Re: Any pregnant moms on heparin shots.

Hello Amy
    I am taking Lovenox injections due to having factor five mutation which makes me prone to clots. I have been taking them for almost 2 months. My dr. put me on them even while we were ttc. She said that by the time we found out we are pregnant a blood clot could have already formed in the placenta. So far everything has been good although I hate to give them to myself, if DH is home he does it for me. My dr. said that this blood thinner in the form of an injection can not pass through to the baby. I am due feb. 20th, i just posted on the feb. board and saw you there! It will be nice to have someone due around the same time also taking the injections so we can talk about it. Hope all is going Well.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
    Amy 333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Amy 333 HB User

Hi Jcarpenter

Glad to know i am not alone. Is the Levonox another brand name of heparin? I am on clexane. My dr also told me that these are safe but sometimes i still worry that they might cause excessive bleeding. Yesterday scratched my finger. Even though i didn t bleed much the wound just didn t seem to close for hrs.
    Do you know what dose you re on?
    I started taking mine when i was few days pregnant but was on aspirin before that.
    My EDD is early March. I too hate giving the injectios myself but try to time things so that Dh s around. Do you feel the burning sensation after its done? Do you get any bruises? On 2 occasions i got small bruises. Do you get the shots in your tummy or on your arms and thighs as well? I get mine on my tummy. I was given one on my arm and i still have a bruise the size of an orange so gonna stick to my tummy.
    Have you told family yet? I am holding on until i am through the 1st trimester. My family won t be happy about this but i feel better that way.

Wishing you all the very best.....so glad to have you around.

Amy

Old 07-02-2007, 06:25 AM   #4
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi ladies. I posted a question like this the other day and only got two replies. I am not yet on the shots, but I will probably start this week. I tested positive for lupus anticoagulant and we're just waiting for a second test to confirm. I am almost 12 weeks and so far I haven't had any problems without the shots, but I would hate to m/c in the 2nd trimester or end up getting a clot that can cause severe problems for me. My doctor does not use Lovenox. He didn't really explain why, just that it hasn't been around long enough for him to use it. He uses heparin. Everything I have read has been about lovenox, so I know nothing about regular heparin. He said it is not harmful for the baby, but there are bleeding risks for me. That is what worries me. I guess I will have to trust him that the benefits outweigh the risks. Let's keep in touch since there are only a few of us on this board that have these problems!

Old 07-03-2007, 01:52 AM   #5
    Amy 333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Amy 333 HB User

Leela

I am on clexane which i was told is the safest and most expensive drug around. It s molecules are so large that it does not cross the placenta. I know it s not an easy situation to be in believe me.
    Re bleeding.........the shots are stopped around the time you are supposed to give birth.
    I have spoken to various pragnant women who now gave birth who were on these shots ...none had problems whatsoever.

Wishing you all the best.......please do keep in touch.

AMy

Old 07-11-2007, 12:43 AM   #6
    Amy 333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Amy 333 HB User

Leela

Didn t we have another thread here clotting problems...well couldn t find it...anyway

I did some research.....clexane and levenox are the same drug. Basically it s levenox in the states and clexane in most of Europe. It is low molecular weight heparin and this makes it even safer.

Have you started the shots yet? Will you be on 40mg daily? That s what i am on for now. The dr said he might increase it later on.

It does hurt a little bit......and sometimes i get a nice bruise around the puncture site.
    One problem i encountered is that since i ve been on then..2 weesk i ve had diarrhea.....so just making sure i get losts of water.

Jcarpenter...haven t heard from you for a while.
    Hope all s ok with you and your little one.

AMy

Old 07-11-2007, 07:06 AM   #7
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi Amy. I just posted on the other thread yesterday. I have it set up to automatically subscribe to all posts I post to, so I can go in every day under "My Settings" and see the new posts. I think that is where you go to set it up to subscribe. Anyway - I will bump that other post up. Look for it somewhere under this one.

I am starting the Lovenox injections. I'm supposed to start today, but now my doctor has to fight with my insurance company to get them to pay for them. He originally was going to give me heparin, but for whatever reason decided on the Lovenox. I think the big difference is that they can reverse the heparin pretty quickly if something were to happen, but they can't reverse the lovenox that quick. At 35 weeks I will be switching over to regular heparin. I also have to take a baby aspirin every day. I'm trusting my doctors with my life here, so hopefully they know what they're doing and I'm going to be OK.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 AM   #8
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Well, I can't find that post either. Like it got deleted or something. Weird.

And yes, I'm going to be taking 40mg of Lovenox.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
    Amy 333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Amy 333 HB User

Leela

I am also on baby aspirin daily and i ve been on that for around 3 yrs i think.
    Have you arranged things with the insurance? I had some problems with getting mine too. But than i wrote a letter saying that if something happened to me or the baby they would be responsible. They gave them to me that same day.

Didn t know that the normal heparin is easier to reverse......i llask my dr about it on my next visit.

Let me know when you start the shots. Will you be doing them yourself?

Funny about the other thread eh.

Amy

Old 07-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #10
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

My insurance got worked out. I'm going to pick up my shots this afternoon and then a home health care nurse is coming this evening to show me how to do them. I will have my husband do them because I don't really think I can give myself a shot. I used to take B-12 injections weekly and he gave me those too.

That is why I will switch to regular heparin at 35 weeks so they can reverse it quickly if needed during delivery. I believe I will also stay on some form of heparin for 6 weeks after delivery, since that time period also proves to have a high incidence of clots. What about you?

When do you take your baby aspirin? I'm taking mine in the morning and then planning on doing the Lovenox shots in the evening. My doctor didn't give me a certain time for either.

Isn't this fun?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
    Amy 333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Amy 333 HB User

I do the same take my aspirin in the am and the shots in the evening. Dh does them for me too....i only did them twice and couldn t even look.......mind you i work in a hospital........

Best of luck for your first shot........don t know if i should prepare you or not. i think it s pretty subjective and depends on your tolerance levels. I am usually quite tolerant....but.....The needle as such is bearable....though i get a burning sensation for about 5 mins after it s done then it s ok. Sometimes the puncture site leaves a bruise ...other times it doesn t. One things sure....i have to go buy a swimsuit before i go swimming my 2 piece is a no no.

On the long run i think it s worth it.
    I too was told that i d need to take the heparin until 6 weeks after.....but i haven t really gone into much detail yet. i ll ask and let you know.

Amy

Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Have you had any bleeding at all? I mean, we're thinning our blood and then sticking ourselves with needles every day. My biggest fear is that I'm going to bleed to death. I know I'm being dramatic, but I'm scared. I'm afraid to shave my legs because what if I cut myself? Have you cut yourself or anything yet? I just wonder how bad I will bleed. Not that I would wish this on anyone, but I'm so glad there is someone out there I can talk to. I'm on a couple other pregnancy boards, and I have yet to meet someone else on these shots.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #13
    Amy 333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Amy 333 HB User

Leela....you won t bleed to death with a simple cut.

I am just going to be honest...i think that s what you want.

The problem would be with major trauma...if for example you hit your head really hard or have a seriious traffic accident or things like that where internal bleeding may occur again it won t necessarily be life threatening but things would be a little more complicated.

I cut my finger with a knife one week after being on the shots........every time i moved my finger the blood would start again so i strapped it tight and after a while it stopped and healed completely.

I know a nurse who was on the shots all through out her pregnancy and had no probs at all. My high risk ob/gynea also told me that he treated many pregnant women with the same shots and he said there is no concern at all. On the other hand the problem would be if i don t take them. I was just told to avoid dangerous sports etc to minimise the risk of trauma.

I am praying that we will both pull through...our little ones are going to be ever so special.

Amy

Old 07-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
    Amy 333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Amy 333 HB User

Just to answer your question.........i don t shave my legs coz before starting with the shots i was on aspirin and yes the cuts might bleed a little. So i ve done laser before i got preggo don t know if it s safe now.

But the cut from shaving your legs won t be of any danger to you. I understand your concern but really it won t be a prob.

Amy

Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #15
    Leela_C
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Leela_C HB User

Thanks for the post and thanks for being honest with everything. I feel better now. Laser won't work for me because of my PCOS. I tried it with my underarms and the hair keeps growing back...even after like 20 treatments!

I know that the benefits of the shots outweigh the risks and that is why I am doing them. Since I didn't think I could even get pregnant, my baby is already a miracle to me. I'm sure we'll both get through this fine...I'm just a little too paranoid.

I'm actually getting ready to leave to go meet the home nurse. I'll talk to you tomorrow! Thanks again!

Closed Thread