It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• spotting after ultra sound

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
    Gioparis
    Veteran
    (female)

Gioparis HB User
    spotting after ultra sound

so i had an ultra sound yesterday- dc said i was 9 weeks!!! saw the fetal heart rate 167..everything seemed ok..there was an area in the trophosblastic(sp) that wasnt completelt attached to the uterus if that makes sense...the doc said it was normal and it should be gone when i do my next ultra sound...
    ive been getting mild cramps ever since i knew i was pregnant- no blood or spotting..yesterday i started spotting and im freaking out...its pinkish-beige..very light..but its worrying me...and im on vacation and just to see a doc we had to take a helicopter to one island then a 45 min boat ride to another island to get an ultra sound- so i dont have a doctor to go see or call..not till 2 weeks...what do i??????
    i had one miscarriage two years ago at 5 weeks..
    pls pls help..i thought after hearing the fetus heart miscarriage chances become less

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
    megss
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

megss HB User
    Re: spotting after ultra sound

I am assuming you had a vaginal ultra sound? It is completely normal to spot after those. When I had mine done at 9 weeks, the nurse actually gave me a pad to take home with me because she said I may spot. During pregnancy, the cervix is much more sensitive. And the fact that the blood is pinkish/beige really makes it sound as though its from the ultra sound. I would be worried if it were red. Good luck and try not to worry!!!

Old 07-28-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
    Gioparis
    Veteran
    (female)

Gioparis HB User

actually it wasnt a vaginal US...it was external!!! still normal?

Old 07-29-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User

You know, I got an external u/s at 11 weeks and I spotted lightly afterwards as well. I didn't worry about it because the spotting was light--pink/brown and mostly when I wiped. It only lasted about a day. I'm not sure if the ultrasound aggravated it or not--I had a lot of spotting like that until I was about 13 weeks, but it does seem in the first trimester, the baby didn't like sound waves as I also started spotting lightly after sitting in front of large speakers at a dance recital that were quite loud. But it never got heavier and while I sometimes had cramping, it wasn't terrible cramping--usually felt like mild to moderate period like cramps, which can be completely normal in the first trimester.

Maybe if your spotting gets heavier or continues beyond 1-2 days, give the doc a call and see what they say.

I'm 20 weeks now and have not had any spotting since 13 weeks.

Last edited by livinTX; 07-29-2007 at 07:06 AM.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
    Numb_one
    Veteran
    (female)

Numb_one HB User

Hey Gioparis,

Just a thought.... have you & your partner been sexually active during the past 2 to 3 days, because at the beginning of my last pregnancy, i got spotting that set in from anything from 1 to 3 days after having sex with my partner? My OB said that it was considered normal & that it was due to my cervix being overly sensitive..... so basically it wasn't related to my baby at all!!!

I'm not entirely sure about spotting because of an external ultrasound, however if your doctor pressed a little hard or like one of the posters above mentioned, if your baby reacted to the sound waves, then it could possibly be related!

Have you considered it to be implantation bleeding at all??? That would most probably be pinkish blood. Also..... did your doc tell you much about the issue regarding the area in the trophosblastic(sp) that wasn't completely attached to the uterus....... cos this also may be a factor when it comes to spotting! I don't know much about this in particular, so i can't comment, however it does strike me as something that could possibly be causing the spotting. Even if your Doc said it will sort itself out, i wonder if he maybe forgot to tell you that it is common for them to bleed also during the meantime, (maybe if small bits break away.... which could be expected & considered normal). I would definately look into it...... i'm just trying to cover all bases here And some rest might be what you need too....... don't over-do it ok!

Well i'd better go now..... hope everything is fine with your baby & please keep us updated.

All the best, Crystal xoxoxox

Old 08-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
    jbaby55
    (female)

jbaby55 HB User

i am 9 weeks, and also had an external ultrasound yesterday. right after i had the tiniest bit of pink spotting, and now a day later i am having brown thick spotting. my dr said not to worry but of course i am! i saw the heartbeat (172) and everything was fine, so should i just relax?

Closed Thread