It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• 1 kilo weight gain in a week?!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
    Gioparis
    Veteran
    (female)

Gioparis HB User
    1 kilo weight gain in a week?!!

Last week I was at my doctor and weighed in at 55 kilos, about 120lbs,
    today i weight in at 56 kilos, 123 lbs, ive been eating mostly healthy and have been working out too- is that even possible to gain 1 kilo in a week? i had cereal before i went today- and had drank 4 glasses of water, could thet have contributed? the doctor told me i shouldnt gain more than 8-10 kilos the whole pregnancy- and im 17 weeks and started at 53 kilos and now this...im getting worried- could tthe eating alot of fruit contributed it? the olive oil in the salad dressing? i dont seem to be eating alot of fatty food- the ocasional fries craving and if i do eat a hamberger , its home made and fresh..im just shocked with what the scale gave out today

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
    Sprout07
    Veteran
    (female)

Sprout07 HB User
    Re: 1 kilo weight gain in a week?!!

I have usually gained at least 1 pound every week. But I think I had a week here and there where I gained like 1 1/2. If you were 120 starting out, that is on the slimmer side and you may gain a little more than the recommended 1 pound a week. Also, how far along are you? I noticed that in the middle of my pregnancy I gained like crazy. It was like my appetite was out of control and I couldn't eat enough. Now I'm 30 weeks and I still get hungry, but because of heartburn, my appetite is definitely a lot less. I just went to the doctor and even with jeans and a light sweater on, I only gained 1 1/2 in just over 2 weeks.

That's a thing to consider too- were you dressed differently? heavier pants vs shorts, heavier shoes, etc?

If your doctor wasn't concerned about your weight, then you shouldn't be either. My weight was one thing that never really made me worry during this pregnancy. Everything else did

Old 09-20-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
    KittenPaws
    Veteran
    (female)

KittenPaws HB User

The most ive gained in one week was bout 3 kilos (7ish pounds). Its amazing what dressing in something different does to your weight. Clothes, Shoes, Whatever is in your pockets at the time, The amount of water you have drank that day, what you have eaten that day, weather you have used the restroom or not, being bloated, etc. Your body can change as much as 5 pounds (just over 2 kilos) throughout the day!! And thats just through food and drink alone.

If your doctor isnt worried, dont worry about it.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
    Gioparis
    Veteran
    (female)

Gioparis HB User

Thanks you guys

well, my doctor did hand me a diet- and told me not to gain more than 2 pounds a month!!!! A MONTH~!.. i wasnt wearing expept my shirt when i weighed in..so its no way the clothes, i havnt had a bowl movement in 2 days though and had just eaten a large bowl of Kashi cereal (with fiber) before i went..so maybe that?
    because i dont eat that much or have e huge appetite...im just afraid that id gain weight just by being pregnant, and not by actually increasing my calories!

Old 09-20-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
    KittenPaws
    Veteran
    (female)

KittenPaws HB User

Your suppose to gain weight while being pregnant. The baby weighs something, so do your breasts (they increase to prepare for feeding), the placenta, amniotic fluid, plus your blood increases up to 50% more. It will all weigh something. They say that all together it should weigh 25-35 lbs (11-16kilo) So unless you plan on losing your own weight to make up for the added weight of the changes your body NEEDS to go through...you will gain weight during pregnancy outside of a calorie increase.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
    leec41604
    (female)

leec41604 HB User

I don't see how your doctor can tell you to only gain 2lbs a month My last appointment I gained 5 lbs in 2weeks! I had an ultrasound that same appointment and the doc told me I had a lot of amniotic fluids (enough in there for a swimming pool for him were his exact words) and that probaly contributed to the 5lbs. As long as you're trying to eat healthy and exercising it will come off fast after you have the baby!

Don't worry about it...enjoy your pregnancy!!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:51 AM   #7
    Gioparis
    Veteran
    (female)

Gioparis HB User

I weight myself today- and im around one kilo more than last week- actually 3 days ago i was 55.5 kilos- today 56.8!! and ive been eating healthy (even though veryy late- right before bed) and working out everyday! is this just due to the fact that im eating late at night and by the time im up- it doesnt give the food enough time to digest? i mean it seems impossible that I gained that much in a few days and im eating healthy- i do feel bloated (I have tons of gas) and my face seems more swollen- could that cause the scale increase?

Old 09-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #8
    Sprout07
    Veteran
    (female)

Sprout07 HB User

I am not sure because I'm not good with the whole conversion thing to pounds. Are your ankles swollen? Are you weighing yourself at the same time everyday? like early in the morning before you eat anything? It could be fluctuations due to how much you eat that day. If you continue to feel that you are gaining weight quickly, I would just call up the doctor to rule out fluid related problems. It's probably ok though- I know in the middle I gained the most quickly. I don't know how accurate your doctor was considering he said not to gain more than 2 pounds a month...I think the average is supposed to be somewhere around 3-4 pounds a month. And it's not unusual to gain more. Sometimes you might gain like 7 pounds in one month and then like 2 the next. Also, most women don't really start putting on the weight until after the first trimester.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:55 AM   #9
    j.p
    (female)

j.p HB User

Hi,
    After reading ur post i got a gr8 relief. I thought i am the only one who gains a kg every week.

Now feel its normal....

My dr told not to worry about weight gain. As long as the baby gains weight properly its ok she told.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #10
    JenW67
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JenW67 HB User

Gio,

Your doctor sounds really strict. It is ok to gain a little extra here and there. You sound as if you are doing EVERYTHING right - eating healthy foods and exercising.

Maybe American doctors are difference from French doctors but mine always talks to me about average weight gain over the pregnancy.

As long as you are not eating at McDonald's three times a day and sitting on the couch for hours on end you are ok. Be gentle with yourself.

-Jen

Closed Thread