It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Toxoplasmosis Scare

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
    RubyC
    (female)

RubyC HB User
    Toxoplasmosis Scare

I'm about 10 weeks along and just found out that my blood test came back inconclusive for toxoplasmosis. My Dr. is having me come in to give more blood which will then be sent to a special lab for a series of more definitive tests. I immediately got online and starting reading about all the horrible things that can happen to a baby with toxoplasmosis. I am now sufficently scared out of my mind and was hoping someone else out there has tested positive and can maybe ease my fears. Many thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
    dina08
    Veteran
    (female)

dina08 HB User
    Re: Toxoplasmosis Scare

I don't know if there are different tests for this; however, I was tested with all of the initial bloodwork. My doctor thought that I would have had it because I have always had at least 1 cat in my house and have always changed cat litter. He said it's normal and fine if I show that I have been exposed to it. He said the possible complications can come in if you get it for the first time while pregnant. We were surprised to find out that I had not been exposed to it before I was pregnant. So, if you have tested positive for the exposure and it was before you were pregnant, I don't think this is an issue at all.

Last edited by dina08; 09-25-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
    briannemh
    (female)

briannemh HB User

I didn't test positive, but did have something come up on a 30 week ultrasound that I was told could have been caused by it (she has mild ventriculomegaly). I know how scary it is!! At 30 weeks I was at a point where the only thing I could do was just "wait and see" (wait until she's born, that is). I can't possibly explain how difficult it is to get your head and your feelings around those 3 words, but it does eventually happen.

I would say not to worry about it though... when the ultrasound results came back the doc sent me for a series of labs including checking back on this (they did come back negative so they still don't know what's wrong). While I was waiting on those results I asked him about the likelihood of them coming back positive and he said that he'd never seen it happen - because they're so rarely positive. The big factors in it are whether or not they're outdoor cats and how long you've had them. Chances are that even if they are outdoor cats, if you've had them a while then you've already been exposed to the virus and your body is immune now - which means baby is safe. If they're indoor cats then the chances are they've never even been exposed to it to share it with you.

Trust me, my pregnancy has been wracked full of obstacles. I've spent my time worrying about every little thing. I'm at 37 weeks and feel like it's been 2 years - and I regret that. Don't waste your time worrying about this... the odds are in your favor. Try to keep positive. Time stretches when you spend it in anxiety.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
    RubyC
    (female)

RubyC HB User

Thanks for your responses! I've had cats for the past 12 or so years--all indoor, expect my current cat who starting going out to our enclosed garden about 1 1/2 years ago. I happily turned the liter over to my husband upon deciding to try to concieve, so hopefully it's just something I've been exposed to before. I also garden quite a bit without gloves, which I just read is a common way to contract it, but you're right, the odds are in my favor and I should focus on that.

Many thanks!

Old 09-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
    Gioparis
    Veteran
    (female)

Gioparis HB User

I know how you feel- I tested NEGATIVE- even though we have an indoor cat- with all the worries of the cat going to the garden and such we gave her to our vet until I give birth- also since im a vegeterian they say alot of us dont get toxoplasmosis because we didnt eat meat- so now i have to wash my veggies carefully and fruits- and just be carefull..it wasnt easy giving my cat away...but atleast im less anxious about making sure the cat doesnt go outside....the doctor wasnt worried even though im negative- he just said to wach everything carefully...and you could only do so much if you go eat at friends houses and family...so my fingers are crossed...its pretty rare to get it though right? im 17 and a half weeks along

Closed Thread