It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• has anyone had a high risk result AFP test and had a healthy baby?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
    Erin619
    (female)

Erin619 HB User
    has anyone had a high risk result AFP test and had a healthy baby?

I just got a call from the doctors office telling me that my AFP test came back as a high risk for Downs. THey are sending me to have a level 2 ultrasound. I am so upset and i can't stop crying and I don't know what to expect. Has anyone had this outcome and had a healthy baby? I am so worried. I would love to hear from anyone who has had this result.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
    momto4soon
    (female)

momto4soon HB User
    Re: has anyone had a high risk result AFP test and had a healthy baby?

Erin619 I totally understand what you are going through. I am 30 weeks preg. now. When I was 18 weeks I had the AFP. This is my 4th baby and I just turned 39 so I'm high risk anyway. Well, my results came back bad!! I had a 1 in 10 chance of my baby have trisomy18. Babies usually don't survive beyond 3 months with this disorder. Needless to say my husband and I were devastated! I cried and cried!!!! It just dont expect to hear that! We decided not to tell anyone until we got more info. from an amnio or ultrasound. That way people wouldn't be saying things to us that we weren't ready to hear.... Plus if everything came back okay I didn't want people to always think something could possibly be wrong. Anyway, I went in and had an ultrasound level 2. They checked this baby from head to toe and found no markers to indicate it had any disorder.... Perfectly healthy! My husband and I decided then we would not find out the sex of the baby. It really didn't matter! Only the health!! Everything turned out fine and I have not given it a second thought. I've just enjoyed these last few months of my pregnancy with only good thoughts!! Do the ultrasound A.S.A.P!!!! That will help ease your mind! Blessing to you and your family!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
    Ol'Line Rebel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Hi Erin, I am so sorry you are going through this! I hope it's all a mistake.

My husband has a co-worker who was brought through the ringer with his daughter. They had the amnio, which is supposed to be "99% accurate". They were told their baby likely had Down's, and so they went through the rest of the pregnancy preparing for this. Then, out came the baby and they found nothing was wrong with her!

I've heard variations on this theme just on boards like this. People who were made scared for their pregnancy and then the doctors were wrong.

So, hopefully, they're just wrong. But in any case, I wish you and baby the best, and hope all turns out OK, however it may be.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User

I haven't personally had this experience, but I do know the AFP has a high incidence of false positives. If the test is done earlier (at 15 weeks versus 16 weeks), the incidence of positives goes up. My doctor absolutely was adamant that we wait until I was well beyond 16 weeks to test (about 16 1/2 weeks instead) to lower the odds of a false positive.

The odds are in your favor that the level II ultrasound will show a perfectly healthy baby.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
    sweetea13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetea13 HB User

When I was pregnant with my DS I chose not to even have to test. Both sides of the family had no problems so the nurse said that since i wasn't high rish that she thought it was good I wasn't going to have it cause she said the chance of false postives is very high. Try not to worry, this happens a lot with this test and often the baby is just fine. I did research before the test and diecided I didn't even want it done. Good luck, I bet your baby is fine.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
    junemommy17
    (female)

junemommy17 HB User

My situation is similar to yours and it has been a nightmare for me. I'm 36 and 25 weeks pregnant with my 2nd. I decided not to have any bloodwork done. My OB pushed me into having a Level 2 ultrasound at 18 weeks because I was not doing the bloodwork. Immediately following the ultrasound they told me there were 2 "soft" down syndrome markers. The baby has fluid on its kidneys and the leg and arm bones were short in relation to the size of the head. They told me I had a 1 in 9 chance of have a baby with down syndrome. Well I was devasted. My blood pressure went through the roof. I started cramping. My regular OB sent me to another high risk doctor at another facility for a 2nd opinion Level 2 Ultrasound. This one was about 1 week after the 1st. Well all the measurements were perfect on this ultrasound. They also did a Quad Screen which came back normal. The only thing we are still dealing with is fluid on the kidneys. I have been absolutely terrified to have an amnio but I still might get one. They have adjusted my odds which are much better than the original but I'm still having a difficult time letting this go. I feel for you and I hope everything works out for the best.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
    Erin619
    (female)

Erin619 HB User

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I have been crying and just feeling terrible all day. I'm so sry junemommy you are going through this too. I wish i never had the test done. Momto4, you must feel so relieved from your ultrasound. This is my 4th baby also. I didn't have the AFP test with my first 3. I didn't want to go through this. I don't know what made me have it done this time. Honestly I have been feeling so different this pregnancy I wanted reassurance that everything was fine. Well my doctor called and they have me scheduled for a level 2 ultrasound tomorrow afternoon. I'm trying to relax but it is very difficult. The next 24 hours will be very long for me.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
    G8r4evr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

G8r4evr HB User

The high incidence of false positives is why I declined the test. My Dr was very adamant that I test, I but stood by my original NO thank you, and he finally dropped it. I am soo glad that I didnt have it, but the possibility of downs is always in the back of my mind. I just couldnt risk a positive Quad screen, because I definitely didnt want to take the risk of an amnio. I am looking forward to a 3d US at 28 weeks, and the tech said she can rule out Downs then.

I hate that you are going through this Erin, but I have read numerous stories where the blood work suggested a problem and everything was just fine. Try to stay positive!! =0)

Old 11-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
    Aimee8396
    Veteran
    (female)

Aimee8396 HB User

I am glad I read this post! This is my 3rd PG, haven't been to the drs yet, but know that question will arise. I didn't have it with my first 2, but I was 23 and 27 at the time, now I just turned 34, so I know they will push it. I figure the false positive rate is too high, and even if soemthing came up I wouldn't do anything about it. I'll wait for the ultrasound and see if anything pops. Thanks for making my resolve all that higher to not opt for this test!

Old 11-04-2007, 08:19 AM   #10
    Erin619
    (female)

Erin619 HB User

I think that's a great choice Aimee. I feel like the test is useless. I had my ultrasound on Friday and there were no markers for Down syndrome. The doctor's office was very callous in the way they went about it. I didn't know what to expect. They just call me up telling me there is a high risk the baby has Downs. Obviously I was absolutely hysterical the entire day and night. I could have caused myself and my baby damage from all the stress. My entire stomach was literally in a big knot and hard as a rock. I just couldn't relax. They didn't tell my my chance was 1.4%, up from .2% based on my age alone, which is 32. So I spent the entire day thinking high risk must be higher than 50%. I didn't know and they wouldn't tell me. I think that's wrong. They should have told me the numbers and I probably wouldn't have freaked out as much. After having the level 2 ultrasound and everything was fine I opted not to have an amnio. I don't see the point of risking my baby. So now my chance has gone down to .7% and I will not even worry about it again. I am going to try my best to pretend I never had that test just like my first three pregnancies and everything will be just fine.

I would never recommend anyone do that AFP test. The results are just not conclusive AT ALL.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #11
    kayla2585
    Inactive
    (female)

kayla2585 HB User

I understand your fear! Like many who have responded I've had a brush with this, my cousin's wife had a baby a year ago. During her pregnancy they told her from the testing that her baby had a good chance of having downs. They spent a lot of time and money doing extra testing to find out it was nothing and they have a healthy baby boy!

Old 11-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User

I had "high chance of Downs" AFP tests with my second, third, and fourth pregnancies -and all the kids are beautiful and perfect and healthy! I would NEVER go through that stress again! I am sure things are going to be fine for you and your baby! Rest easy and enjoy your pregnancy, Mari

Old 11-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #13
    momto4soon
    (female)

momto4soon HB User

Erin619 I am so relieved for you! I totally understand how you feel. Especially when you do the ultrasound and everything is fine! I wish I had never done the blood work either. (I didn't do it with my other 3) I'm 39 this time around and I've been a little more paranoid. But if I had known what I was going to go through with a "false positve" I would have NEVER done the test.... I hope these posts will help someone else who is either going through the same thing or maybe trying to decide to take the test! Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy!!! I always felt like God put me through this situation so I could help others. It may be the same for you! Blessings to you and the baby!

Old 11-21-2007, 05:54 AM   #14
    helen22
    (female)

helen22 HB User

I am 38yrs old and had the screening blood test - thinking it was just another test and everything would be ok!! - I got a call from the midwife at 2.45pm to say I had a high risk of a downs baby and that I would have to be at the hospital the next morning at 10am for a amniocentisis. After a restless night I went to the hospital where the receptionist shouted accross the waiting room that I was there for an amnio. After speaking to the midwife at the hospital I was told that the average risk for a 38yr old was 1:184 and that my risk was 1:134 however as I had a bleed early in pregnancy this may have impacted on the result. I decided I couldnt risk the 1% chance of a misscarriage with an amnio and came away from the hospital. I am due to have a detailed ultrasound in december and I am so scared about the result. I just wish I had never had the blood test in the first place and accepted that as an older mother I did have an increased risk but just got on with it. Now I am worried that after the scan I will be told the baby has downs abd expected to make a choice about whether to have the baby or not. If I didnt know until the baby was born I would just cope and get on with things, I dont want to be in a position where I need to make a choice

Last edited by helen22; 11-21-2007 at 05:55 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Closed Thread