It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Bleeding and Threatened Miscarriage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #1
    blue_eyed_girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User
    Bleeding and Threatened Miscarriage

I posted on Wednesday that I has started to spot. I am 5 1/2 weeks. Thursday morning I started bleeding. I was on my way to the ER, but the oncall doctor through my OBGYN's office told me to wait and see my doctor. They gave me a pregnancy test which was positive. He examined me and said I was definitely bleeding, but my cervix was closed. He said there was nothing I could do and more than likely my body was trying to miscarry. The sent me for an U/S which came back inconclusive because I am not very far along. I laid in bet most of the afternoon and things were looking up. I only saw blood when I went to the bathroon. I was also cramping, but that subsided about 4:00. Then about 5:15, I had a gush of blood with some bloodclots. Most of them were very small, but one was about the size of a quarter. Since I had been to the dr and the ER wouldn't tell me any different, I called the answering service and my doctor was oncall. He told me that blood clots weren't something to worry about, but tissue was. Tissue is like liver and blood clots are like jelly. He said there would be a lot of tissue, a lot of blood, and a lot of pain if I was miscarrying. So, all I can do is wait. I am going in on Monday for blood work. Right now I am bleeding and have some minor (almost unnoticable) cramps. I am very emtional and clinging to all hope, but reality is coming down pretty hard. My husband was with me through it all and thinks everything will turn out fine. However, he isn't in my body and he isn't going through what I am going through. I avoid going to the bathroom as long as I can because I am scared to death of what I see. I hate that there is nothing I can do!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
    desmaggie
    Veteran
    (female)

desmaggie HB User
    Re: Bleeding and Threatened Miscarriage

I"m sorry to hear you are going through this. Good luck and think positive...easier said then done I know. I'm not sure how the ultrasound could be inconclusive though? I went through this in February and went to the ER and they couldn't tell me anything by my examination except that my cervix was closed (a pregnancy test will remain positive for awhile becaue the hormones are still in your body) once I had the ultrasound they were able to tell me what was going on. If I were you I would go back to the ER and ask them for more details.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
    blue_eyed_girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

I had the u/s done through my doctor's office. My insurance doesn't allow me to have the u/s at my doctor's so I had to schedule one at the hospital. Due to liabilty, the technition couldn't tell me anything. I had to wait for the doctor to get the results and contact me. All the nurse told me was that I wasn't far enough along for the ultrasound to tell them anything. If my numbers come back okay, I am sure they will schedule another one when I am closer to 7 weeks. I may not be as far along as I think.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
    Numb_one
    Veteran
    (female)

Numb_one HB User

blue eyed girl,

Sorry you are going through this I'll keep you in my prayers!

I just wanted to say that not all miscarriages cause a lot of pain.... & also being only 5 & a half weeks along.... i also wouldn't count 100% on there being any very noticable tissue either, so your DR should have explained this to you better. I miscarried at 17 weeks with my first pregnancy in December last year & i didn't have any pain associated with miscarriage!

Also.... what desmaggie said about the pregnancy test showing up positive because of the hormones still being in your system.... that's very true also. I have no idea why they even use this method to determine whether you have miscarried, cos they did this with me also, when i was around 10 weeks along & had light spotting..... but at the time i didn't know that it would still detect the hormone so i didn't say anything..... & then i lost my baby at 17 weeks (apparently she had died between 12 & 13 weeks though & all the symptoms were missed). It's referred to as a missed miscarriage.

Anyhow, i wish you all the best & keep your fingers crossed for luck. I didn't want to put a downer on you with my first paragraph, but i just wanted you to know that pain associated with miscarriage is not ALWAYS the case!

Goodluck

Numb xoxoxox

Old 11-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
    blue_eyed_girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

Thanks. The bleeding has minimized. It is pretty much back to spotting. I had blood drawn for a quant test. I am not sure what that means. When I first spoke to the nurse last week, I thought she said quad, but I was mistaken. I understand there is a reality and I must face it, even though I don't want to. All I can do is wait and see.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
    Numb_one
    Veteran
    (female)

Numb_one HB User

I know.... the waiting is such torture All the best & i am praying that everything will be fine.

Take care & keep us updated,

Numb xoxoxox

Old 11-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #7
    blue_eyed_girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

Thanks. The bleeding has completely stopped. It stopped yesterday afternoon and since then I have seen one little pink speck mixed in with some cm this morning. I won't know until after 4:00 today what my results are. I am scared to death. I will let you know when I get the results.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:58 AM   #8
    Brownie110
    (female)

Brownie110 HB User

Good luck...wishing you good news.....Im praying for you......

Old 11-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
    sweetea13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetea13 HB User

Best of luck to you. I know the waiting is just the worst. I just went through this a couple weeks ago and it is draining. Keep us updated. You said you stopped bleeding. That is a good sign!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
    blue_eyed_girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

Thanks. I read your other posts and sorry for you loss sweetea. My son is almost 3 and he keeps me busy, too.

This has been the longest day EVER!!! I am exhausted. I can barely keep my eyes open. My son's bedtime is 8:00 and I try my hardest to make it that long. 4:00 is an hour away, but seems like an eternity.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #11
    sweetea13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetea13 HB User

Thank you blue eyed girl. I know what you mean about being exhausted and just trying to make it until ds bedtime. When I was going through my bleeding I did so much research and I was shocked at how common bleeding during pregnancy is. It happens so much, even my docs office kept telling me that bleeding can be normal and some women have a "period" type bleed every month in the first few months. I wish you the best. Whatever happens at least you will know soon, it helped me just to know cause it is a roller coaster.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:44 AM   #12
    blue_eyed_girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

It doesn't look good. My HCG came back as 2. Anything under 5 is not pregnant. The nurse seemed baffled that the bleeding had stopped and I wasn't cramping. She is checking with the doctor to see what he wants to do. I can hanlde a miscarriage, it is telling everyone that is painful. I could kill my husband. When we found out I told him not to tell anyone and he blabbed, so I had to tell my parents, who also blabbed.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #13
    LISAMCGEE
    Inactive
    (female)

LISAMCGEE HB User

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. Please know that there are people who care. Best of luck to you and your husband. Remember that everything will work out eventually. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Lisa

Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #14
    desmaggie
    Veteran
    (female)

desmaggie HB User

I'm sorry for your loss. I know telling people is hard but think of all the support you will have from the friends and family that know rather than going through this all on your own.
    I lost my previous prenancy at 3month, being 3 months I told work, family everyone. Even though I had to go through the motions of telling a few people I found that family and friends helped explain it to others (not gossiping I wanted then to rather than me having to tell everyont) In the end I was glad work knew because I was able to take the time I needed to heal physically & emotionally without having to explain why I wasn't at work. My family was also great.

Last edited by desmaggie; 11-14-2007 at 08:52 AM.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #15
    sweetea13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetea13 HB User

I am so sorry. I don't know what else to say, we both have gone through pretty much the same thing in the last couple weeks and I know it is hard. About your dh blabbing, Sometimes it does help when some people know because they can help you through it. A lot of people open up about things when you are down and it could help. But I know what you mean. When we found out last month we were pregnant my dh told his mom we didn't want to tell people yet cause I hadn't even missed my period yet (we did an early hpt) and she said "well can I just tell my sisters?" I thought why did we even tell her if she is just going to do what she wants cause she is known to blab,and blab and blab some more. Anyways it turns out that everyone was soooo supportive when only a week and a half later we told them the bad news.
    I don't see the doc until the 20th and I started bleeding on the 30th. I stopped bleeding on my own with no cramping so they said the doc will decide then. Good luck to you. It does help we both have a ds to get hugs from.

Last edited by sweetea13; 11-14-2007 at 11:22 AM.

Closed Thread