It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Nuchal Translucency Ultrasound

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
    hotmama08
    Veteran
    (female)

hotmama08 HB User
    Nuchal Translucency Ultrasound

I was actually somewhat depressed this week. I just had my First Trimester Fetal screening called Nuchal Translucency ultrasound done at 13 weeks last thursday and the ultrasonographer said it measured 4.4mm. They wanted to see it below 3.5mm
    They did not see anything else abnormal in the ultrasound. Although, this is not a diagnostic test but more like a screening test that tells you if you are in high risk for chromosomal babies, still it made us worry a lot. Im sure after the blood works comes back and still high, they will push us for amniocentesis. They combine this results and adding my over 35 age, enters it in the computer and tells you the likelihood of you having a downs baby. Totally sucks the joy of pregnancy. I really didn't want to have an amnio for fear of losing a hard won pregnancy.
    Also the ultrasonographer, can not get a full view of the baby as my baby is so comfortable in one position. She keeps tapping my belly but couldnt get an accurate view. Im not so sure if she made an accurate measurements.

Oh, why cant I just be happy with my pregnancy? Too much things to worry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
    Re: Nuchal Translucency Ultrasound

Sorry to hear about your worries. I will say that my Dr. insisted that I have one at 12 weeks-- not 11 and not 13 to get the most accurate measurements. Perhaps that extra week made that a little off? I am 32 years old and it is a regular screening now for all ages of women.

I wish you all the best.
    C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
    Nicky2112
    (female)

Nicky2112 HB User

I'm sorry you are so worried (and I can totally understand). I went for my Nuchal Translucency test (I think at 13 weeks as well). The radiologist warned us beforehand that they would not make any comments on the u/s results because they HAD to be combined with the blood test to give a more accurate result and, even then, there was always a chance of a false positive on both counts. So, I think it is one of those tests that causes more concern than peace of mind.

To top things off, our first ultrasonographer was a little green (not that we knew right off the bat) and she called the doctor in after ten minutes to look at something (probably to make sure the measurements were accurate, but it still freaked us out that the "expert" had to come into the room to check the baby). It was nerve wracking to wait for those blood test results, but I guess everybody goes through that these days.

It is completely normal to be concerned. I think it was a little irresponsible for them to tell you the u/s results without having the bloodwork back.

Try not to worry unnecessarily at this point. I know it is easier said than done, but there is nothing conclusive that indicates a problem with the baby yet.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
    want2beamama
    (female)

want2beamama HB User

So sorry you are going through this. Keep in mind it is not conclusive, just a screening. I am 34 and will not turn 35 before the baby is delivered so they have not mentioned amnio, but we decided before the NT scan even if the results were "off" we would NOT do an amnio. The results wouldn't change my mind about keeping the baby and the risk of miscarriage is so high.
    Let's hope you are worrying over nothing and the blood tests combined with the ultrasound will yield normal results.

Closed Thread