It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Quad Screen Testing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
    candice12
    Veteran
    (female)

candice12 HB User
    Quad Screen Testing

I am 16 or 17 weeks pregnant (we will find out for sure Wed) with a little boy. We are going to name him Carson Alan!! My doctor called me on Thursday and told me they needed me to come in right away to go over test results from a Quad Screening that I chose to have done. So... we immediately went in. In the beginning of my preg. they were going by the day of my last menstral period but after they did an ultrasound it was saying that I was a week later. So I went from 9w6d to 10w6d. He did the Quad Screen test on both due dates (Sept 11 & Sept 4) and said that if they used my menstral period due date everything was normal, but he consulted 10 other doctors and they all said they would go with the ultrasound due date because that is a better way of knowing. If he were to use that date the test came back abnormal with a 1 in 180 chance that I would have a baby with Down Syndrome. I will find out Wednesday by going to a High Risk OB that specializes in Fetal Development and I hear he is the best around - he is going to look over both due date results and do a high def ultrasound to check for abnormalties. This has me worried to death, but then I think... if they are saying 1 out of 180 babies of mine could have this... that is really slim to none.

My question is... have any of you had this procedure done and came back with an abnormal Quad Screen and if so what was the outcome for those who have had this procedure done in the past. I have read that this test has so many false positives, and had I known this I would have never taken this test. Because I have been sick to my stomach since.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
    youneeak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

youneeak HB User
    Re: Quad Screen Testing

Hi there,

Try not to worry (easier said than done). I chose not to have this test done with either of my pregnancies (with non-high risk it is an optional test). I chose not to have it completed for two reasons- #1 no matter what the outcome it would not have changed anything for DH and I regardless of the outcome in the end...and #2 I know SO MANY people who have had a false positive and ended up having to have more tests and a ton of worry only to have everything turn out ok. Personally I know about 5 people who have had the screen done and I personally know 3 of the 5 who had false positives. I know that's a high number, but my point is that yes, false positives happen a lot. Also- 1 in 180 is a high ratio as well.

Try not to worry and remember htat no matter what you baby will be your baby and you will love him so much.

Take care and good luck.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
    candice12
    Veteran
    (female)

candice12 HB User

That was exactly how I felt... He asked me if I wanted to have it done and of corse he said it's a really good idea to do it and all it was was a blood test. I should have asked him to give me time to go home and research because after I heard how many false positives that there are with this test I would have never opted to take it. And of course they don't tell you anything about the false positives when you go in to have it done. But thanks for your thoughts on this. I actually spoke with my stepmom last night and 2 of her friends also had an abnormal test and everything came out fine! I will find out Wednesday... and I will post to tell how my appt and ultrasound went.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
    youneeak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

youneeak HB User

Best of luck on Wednesday (and the worry in the days leading up to Wednesday)!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
    candice12
    Veteran
    (female)

candice12 HB User

Thanks!!! Well it turns out that they are using the date in which my Quad Screen is abnormal... 1 in 180 chance to recap. But... they did an ultrasound and found ZERO chance that my baby has downs. Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Old 04-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
    youneeak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

youneeak HB User

That's great news. I'm sure you were very glad to hear those results!

Closed Thread