It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Harrington Rods and Pregnancy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
    krisc84
    (female)

krisc84 HB User
    Unhappy Harrington Rods and Pregnancy

I had Harrington (I think!) rods placed in 1997 at age 13, and now I am 25 and planning to get pregnant in the near future. I asked my OB today about possible complications with delivery, and she said she was concerned about my ability to deliver vaginally because of possible pelvic fractures during delivery. She said with the rods, she's not sure how low I am fused and if my pelvis can accomodate the widening and positioning needed to deliver a baby. I would be at risk for pubic symphysis fractures or sacral fractures which would mean if that happened I couldn't walk afterwards! I assume that would be temporary if a fracture happened because she mentioned physical therapy, etc. But still!!

I was prepared for her to tell me an epidural was unlikely, but that caught me off guard. She did say that an epidural would be tricky, and a spinal might be a better option, but those don't come without risk either.

It seems my only feasible option is C-section and general anes. because I don't want to crack my pelvis or let an anesthesiologist poke around in my spine. Not ideal by any means.

Any suggestions?? Has anyone with rods ever heard of this risk with the pelvis? I'm freakin' out here!

Thanks!

Last edited by krisc84; 10-20-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread