It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Losing Sleep!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
    justmel30
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

justmel30 HB User
    Losing Sleep!

I will be 16 weeks pregnant on Monday. This is my fourth baby and I am coming up against some new symptoms that I dont recall every going through before. First of all, I have to pee at night......a lot! All the time. I wake up every other hour feeling very urgent. If that wasn't bad enough, once i'm up, it doesn't seem to matter how tired I am, I cannot fall back asleep to save my soul. I am losing about 4 hours a night of sleep lately because I seem to wake up around 1 and can't fall back asleep until 5. I toss and turn, my hips hurt,my back hurts, then I have to pee 5 more times. The worst is my hips and knees though. Even with a pillow between my legs, they just ache and hurt. Not to mention the muscles in my legs want to twitch all night.

Does anybody know of anything that will help calm some of this down, or at least just make me sleep reguardless? I'm so tired lately I fall asleep everytime I get off my feet for even 10 seconds. Thankyou for any advice.

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
    LiseK
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LiseK HB User
    Re: Losing Sleep!

you can always try a nice soothing cup of hot tea (of course tea being a diuretic that's not going to help the peeing issue) once you've woken up. My doctor said that unisom is perfectly pregnancy safe if you're having troubles sleeping. Apparently it's also good for late pregnancy nausea as well. I'm almost 36 weeks and can sympathize on the lack of sleep and peeing at night A LOT. lol. To help you sleep there are a few other things you can try like shutting off the tv or computer about an hour before you go to bed. It can help to let your mind be a lot less busy. Now granted I generally watch tv til I'm ready to sleep so I don't see that being an issue. lol. But the computer thing does really help. It's something that I have to do when I'm not pregnant because I have really bad insomnia and as much as the meds help for that, sometimes they dont. Not having them has been challenging during my pregnancy. Oh and warm milk, warm milk can help to calm you so if you like milk I've heard that helps as well. If I think of anything else I'll post more things. Good luck on the sleeping!!!

Old 04-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

YUCK! I am so right there with you on the peeing and not sleeping thing! On that, I have to ask, what are you eating in the evenings, and how much are you drinking in the evenings as well?

You could try keeping a food log for awhile to see if that's what keeps you up. I have found that I cannot have any chocolate past 6pm. Tomato products keep me awake as well (though I have NO idea why!), so I have to limit that too (that means no pizza, no pasta, no salsa, etc....). Cereal and milk (any kind of cereal) keeps me awake, if you can believe it! There are just certain foods that when I eat them, I don't sleep well at all! And it's not like I can't fall asleep right away, either. I pass out as soon as my head hits the pillow! BUT, if I eat certain foods, the first time I wake up to pee, I'm up for hours!

As far as peeing all night, limit how much you drink past a certain time in the evenings, and drink more during the morning hours. Yep, at first this will be torture and you'll pee even more at night (letting go of the water retention that will most likely happen), but after a couple of nights, your body should get used to the switch and hopefully you won't be getting up so much at night. I usually get up twice, and occasionally if I have caffeine that day, I get up 3 times.... so I limit my caffeine big time (like ONE can of Dr. Pepper once every few days or so).

Have you tried sleeping at an incline? When my body hurts like you described (fortunately that hasn't happened yet this pregnancy, but I know it's coming!) I have a huge pillow I sleep on that keeps me almost sitting up at night. I also have a baby blanket that I wad up and put under my tummy, if I sleep on my side and that seems to keep things aligned better too. Another thing that helped me a lot was flipping my mattress over.... wait, that was at my mom's house (we stay there when my husband is deployed or TDY)..... here at home, our mattress is a pillow top mattress, so I had my husband turn the mattress all the way around 180 degrees and it helped tremendously!

Hope something here can help!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
    justmel30
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

justmel30 HB User

Hey thanks ladies! I just bought some unisom today so I am a little anxious to give it a try. As far as eating and drinking in the evening, I never do. I have dinner, and after that, I'm pretty much done. If I get hungry or something later, I normally have an orange or a piece of fruit, and I tought myself not to drink anything in the evenings long ago because I have allways hated waking up to urinate in the middle of the night.But I love the idea of sleeping at an incline. I think that might help a lot because what ever side I decide to sleep on, my arm and leg go numb. So Maybe if I get one of those big pillows that people use in their beds for like when there reading and what have you, and just use it to sleep on, then maybe I can sleep on my back better and inclined and not have so much pressure on the rest of my body. This might work! I just might have to run to walmart tonight! lol. Thanks again!
    Melissa

Closed Thread