It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Is it bad to get nails done while preg?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2003, 01:05 PM   #1
    TJ_22

TJ_22 HB User
    Question Is it bad to get nails done while preg?

Does anyone know if it is bad for the baby to get your nails done. I get acrylic nails done every two weeks, but will quit getting them done if the smell is bad for the baby. Anyone know?

Thanks, TJ

------------------
    Our 1st Baby EDD: 12/10/03

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2003, 01:10 PM   #2
    kristen_channel

kristen_channel HB User
    From what I hear, it is perfectly safe for you and your baby if you get your nails done every 2 weeks. That's a relatively small amount of time to be exposed to the fumes.

There are lots of pregnant women who get their nails done regularly, or get highlights, etc. I wouldn't worry about it, unless your MD states otherwise!

Congrats on your pregnancy - your baby is due on my 25th birthday!

------------------
    Expecting our first child in June '03. It's a BOY!!!

Proud to be a Navy wife! Married to my wonderful nuclear submariner since April 2001.

Proud to be a Navy wife!

Old 04-01-2003, 01:19 PM   #3
    Karcia

Karcia HB User
    My estetician actually will not do it. He said that if you rub lotion on your feet, within 20 minutes, it is in your bloodstream up to your thighs. He said that nail polish will soak in just as fast, even though it is just on your nails. That surprised me, but who knows? I have heard quite a few reports saying not to, but we know that our mothers probably did, and we seem okay.... don't we???? I am sure it is fine, but personally, I just think that if my baby is born with any problems, I couldn't imagine wondering the rest of my life if it was because of something I did. I know highlights in your hair are alright because the color does not touch your scalp, so none of it soaks into your blood stream. Hair color, though does touch your scalp. So, really, the decision is yours. Goodluck! I'm sure that whatever you decide with be just fine.

Karcia.
    Edd 10/01

Old 04-02-2003, 10:59 AM   #4
    TJ_22

TJ_22 HB User
    Thank you so much for your replies. I have decided to cancel my appointment tomorrow and quit getting my nails done till after the baby is born just in case. At this point I would rather put $40 a month toward baby stuff than my nails anyway. Thank you I appreciate your help.

------------------
    Our 1st Baby EDD: 12/10/03

Old 04-02-2003, 11:18 AM   #5
    HEAVEN-SENT
    Senior Veteran

HEAVEN-SENT HB User
    I don't blame you!

------------------
    EDD 10/3/03

Old 04-02-2003, 11:24 AM   #6
    LadyLight
    Veteran

LadyLight HB User
    TJ, funny you should bring this up because I've been looking for an article I read late last year (just before I got pg) in one of the Fit Pregnancy magazines and it said something about nail polish containing a certain chemical that can cause birth defects. I've not painted mine since pg and am looking everywhere for that article so I can purchase a specific brand that is safe to use during pg they were writing about.

I'll let you know if/when I come across it.

Old 04-03-2003, 08:50 AM   #7
    Kitty_T
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kitty_T HB User
    many nail polish and removers etc contain chemicals such as methyl methacrylate and acetonitrile (a chemical that breaks down into cyanide when swallowed)and can cause numerous health problems including skin irritation, contact dermatitis, rashes, poisoning and in very rare circumstances even death but not all manicurists use products containing these chemicals you would need to ask them what sort of products they use and if they contain only natural ingredients then they are fine to use during pregnancy. my eldest sister is a manicurist and uses nothing but natural or biodegradable products which cause no harm to you so it would be worth your while to enquire as to what is in their products or if there is anywhere near you that uses natural products

Closed Thread