It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Choroid Plexus Cysts ***Worried***

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2003, 01:00 PM   #1
    sweetbelky

sweetbelky HB User
    Question Choroid Plexus Cysts ***Worried***

I had my 18 week u/s today and they found bilateral choroid plexus cysts, but no other noticeable abnormalities. I go for a Level 2 u/s Friday. I would like to know:

a) What should this mean to me right now? What is the likelihood that something is wrong with my baby?

b) What can/can't the Level 2 u/s tell me? Will it be able to rule out defects? What would be sufficient cause to get an amnio?

TIA to any response to my post, as I have many concerns and questions regarding this!

Thanks,
    Cathy

ds 12/1/93
    edd 2/28/04

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 08:13 AM   #2
    Bmom3

Bmom3 HB User
    I'm sorry I don't have any knowledge of this, but I really hope you and your baby are all right.
    I would definitely talk to your doctor and ask him/her all of your questions.
    You could also do a search on line to see what you can find.
    Take care.

Old 10-02-2003, 10:21 AM   #3
    sweetbelky

sweetbelky HB User
    Thank you for your kindness. I have been looking a lot on the net and have found out some more info on this. I will quote a few paragraphs to give others an idea of what this is about:

------------------------------------------------------
    The choroid plexus is the tissue within the brain, which produces the cerebrospinal fluid. This fluid fills the normal spaces in the brain (ventricles) and flows around the outside of the brain and spinal cord. Small fluid-filled spaces, called cysts, are seen during obstetrical ultrasound examinations in the choroid plexus in up to 2% of normal pregnancies.

These cysts disappear spontaneously during pregnancy and are, in themselves, of no concern before or after birth. There is no need to re-scan during pregnancy. Children with choroid plexus cysts are developmentally normal and indistinguishable from those in whom no cysts were seen on ultrasound examination during pregnancy.

In a few patients reported in medical journals, a fetus with choroid plexus cysts was found to have a chromosomal abnormality, Trisomy 18. In Trisomy 18, the fetus has an extra chromosome number 18 with a total of 47 chromosomes, instead of the normal 46. The great majority of babies with this condition have other physical abnormalities, often affecting the limbs (especially a clenched fist), heart, brain, and/or face. When these defects are found in addition to choroid plexus cysts, there is a strong concern about Trisomy 18, and the mother would be recommended to have an Amniocentesis to determine if the fetus has this condition.

If a fetus with choroid plexus cysts has a detailed ultrasound, including views of the heart and of hands that open and close, and shows no other abnormalities, then the risk of Trisomy 18 is only 1 in about 250. The risk of an Amniocentesis causing a miscarriage is about 1 in 250.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Closed Thread