It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board

• Atenolol and Pregnancy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
    mommy2be412
    (female)

mommy2be412 HB User
    Arrow Atenolol and Pregnancy

I know Atenolol is considered a Category D medication which can cause harm to an unborn baby. I am approximately 5-6 weeks pregnant and I have been taking 1 - 50mg pill of Atenolol everyday for years. When I found out I was pregnant 2 days ago, I stopped taking the Atenolol cold turkey and have since been having really bad heart palpitations which are causing me to not be able to sleep (it's been 2 days since I've slept). Then a pharmacist told me you shouldn't stop taking it cold turkey. I don't want to cause harm to the unborn baby but at the same time I want to be able to take care of this baby and be able to rest as well. I was not given this medication for high blood pressure, I was given this medication for my fast heart rate (sinus tachycardia), Atenolol is a beta blocker.

Does Category D medications cause harm to a fetus at all stages of pregnancy, is it more relevant in later stages of pregnancy, please let me know. The pharmacist also said it's up to the doctor if I should continue taking it, but if it can cause harm to the baby I'd rather not take it but again at the same time these heart palpitations are really bad and I haven't slept in days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
    jamie1205
    (female)

jamie1205 HB User
    Re: Atenolol and Pregnancy

Hi mommy2b. Im no expert, but i am hyperthyroid and was taking propranolol before i found out i was pregnant. My endo told me to come off of the beta blockers but my ob/gyn said she is comfortable prescribing propranolol during pregnancy if necessary. I believe it is a class c instead of d. Worth a shot!!! It will make you feel so much better and you need all the sleep you can get! Good luck to you

Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
    cateyes428
    (female)

cateyes428 HB User

I was on atenolol before i found out i was pregnant. My doctor immediately took me off it and put me on laberalol

Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
    Andreiuskas
    (female)

Andreiuskas HB User

Hi, Ive seen your message.
    I also take atenolol, and I want to get pregnant. But I'm also afraid of taking it during pregnancy. I have long QT syndrom, and my only protection is the Atenolol.
    How did it went you you? Did you continued taking it?
    Kisses

Closed Thread

Tags
    atenolol, pregnancy