It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board

• 25yr old with tachycardia out of the blue

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2004, 03:14 AM   #16
    tigerboxer

tigerboxer HB User
    Re: 25yr old with tachycardia out of the blue

Just a suggestion: Panic Disorder with Wolfe-parkinson-White?? Many symptoms - physiological ones - can stem from panic disorder, as our nerves basically govern every system in our body. If I listed some of the symptoms I've had, this thread would probably go up in smoke from overload!! MY PANIC ATTACKS HAVE NEVER OCCURRED WHEN I'M STRESSED OR PANICKED!!! Panic Disorder is basically physiological, not psycological, to do with chemical imbalances etc. And WPW is what I have - a rare heart glitch that causes severe tachycardia - I once had 180-200 for 11 whole hours - the doctors were at their wits' end, and pumped me full of every tranquiliser/ beta-blocker/ god-knows-what-else that they could lay their hands on! Now I'm on a simple anti-arrhythmia medication, and very rarely have tachycardia.

Mine came out of the blue as well when I was 22, by the way. It can also be caused by caffeine/ energy drinks (too much) or alcohol (a few hours later), and mineral imbalances. You mention lack of appetite and nausea - if you're not eating, that could well be the cause. Lack of magnesium in particular is often a cause. Tiredness can be another. If you have a tendency, albeit latent (like mine) to tachycardia, a number of things can set it off.

I've had all the works - electro, echo, MRI, whatever. They diagnosed WPW, gave me the meds, and since then my tachycardia attacks have been rare, and stop almost immediately.

Like I said - just a thought....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2004, 10:06 PM   #17
    lucky charms
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lucky charms HB User
    Smile Re: 25yr old with tachycardia out of the blue

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmyRS
    Hey there, thanks for the responses.

I've been tested for thyroid about 4 times now and each time it comes up clear. I think they would really like the answer to be thyroid!!

I have never had a panic attack before. I had the 24 hour urine test done to see if it could be a problem with my adrenal gland but the results will be back in 4-5 weeks, so I have to wait for that. I wouldn't be surprised if it was hormonal.

Amy
    Even if your Thyroid came back normal you still can suffer the symptoms..
    Im almost willling to bet your thyroid "even though in normal range' is still bouncing all over the place.Ask for Tsh , T-4 free , T-3 free and Antibodies.
    Hope you get to feeling better.......

Old 04-22-2004, 08:02 AM   #18
    AmyRS

AmyRS HB User

I have a MAJOR update to share today.

On Monday I woke up and said to my husband that I felt different. When I put on my heart monitor like I do every day I looked and my rate was LOW! The Monday before I took my last pill, and exactly a week later my heart rate returned to normal! I'm still having breakthrough beats when i'm doing something (130s-140s) but my resting rate has been as low as 77! Usually it's anywhere between 90-115. So I guess this means that it WAS the Nortriptyline that was causing my heart problems. I can't believe the stupid doctors couldn't figure this out. Good thing I decided to go off them on my own to see what would happen. I've had some really bad headaches and tingling and some vision trouble, but I think I'm okay. Considering the heart stuff was only the icing on the cake, I'm not getting my hopes up too high just yet - I left my job because I was so sick before this heart stuff even happened, so it should be interesting to see how I feel now!

Today is day 4 of low rates. I don't even know what to do with myself! On Tuesday I did all my cleaning on my own - I didn't have to get my Mom to help me at all! It tired me out but I was able to do it!

I haven't told my dr about this yet - right now I think I'll still have the king of hearts monitor done, just to make sure the meds haven't done any damage or anything. That's my main concern right now - that this has done something to my heart!

I KNEW this wasn't anxiety/panic attacks and I FINALLY have my proof!!

Amy

Old 04-22-2004, 09:36 AM   #19
    tigerboxer

tigerboxer HB User

Wow, Amy, so happy that you seem to have worked it out on your own. It's true that dotors hate suggesting that one of "their" drugs is to blame - I was put on numerous different anti-dep's for panic attacks and doctors just insisted that DRY MOUTH, ANOREXIA, NAUSEA, AGRESSION, LACK OF PERIODS, RASHES, SUICIDAL TENDENCIES and FAINTING - to name a few - were "perfectly normal side effects"!! I've only taken vitamins ever since. I'm not familiar with Nortriptyline but it sounds like a neurological drug - what were you taking it for? Can you keep on without it?

Old 04-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #20
    maggie39

maggie39 HB User

Amy - I don't know how I missed the fact you were taking nortryptaline in your first post!!! Wow I must have been in a fog! I took nortryptaline for back pain - the very first night I woke up with my heart just racing! My doctor had warned me there could be problems so I called hem and he said to stop taking it, that this is NOT AN UNCOMMON side effect! Seems like your doctor should have known this.
    Anyway, I'm sorry I missed that part of your post!
    Maggie

Old 04-24-2004, 10:54 PM   #21
    fibrotigue

fibrotigue HB User
    Lightbulb Re: 25yr old with tachycardia out of the blue

Hi,
    I had supraventricular tachycardia for about 15 years. They diagnosed me after a holter monitor test. Then 2 years ago, all of a sudden, the medicine stopped working. I began have episodes when my heart rate would get as high as 198, sitting down doing nothing. If I stood up, I got dizzy, I'd see black spots. I was very weak and had shortness of breath. After 3 trips to the ER and having some drug shot into my left arm so that it got to my heart quicker, my heart rate plummeting down to 35, then gradually balancing out, I had a cardiac ablation. That did the trick. I wouldn't advise it to anybody who could be helped with drugs because it's painful...and they poked a hole in my heart during the process but that all worked out. I haven't had any problems since so I'm very happy with the procedure. I couldn't try any more meds because of the fatigue it causes and I already have Chronic Fatigue so the procedure was the last resort.
    But the symptoms you are having sure sound familiar.
    Diane

Last edited by fibrotigue; 04-24-2004 at 10:55 PM.

Old 04-24-2004, 10:56 PM   #22
    fibrotigue

fibrotigue HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fibrotigue
    Hi,
    I had supraventricular tachycardia for about 15 years. They diagnosed me after a holter monitor test. Then 2 years ago, all of a sudden, the medicine stopped working. I began have episodes when my heart rate would get as high as 198, sitting down doing nothing. If I stood up, I got dizzy, I'd see black spots. I was very weak and had shortness of breath. After 3 trips to the ER and having some drug shot into my left arm so that it got to my heart quicker, my heart rate plummeting down to 35, then gradually balancing out, I had a cardiac ablation. That did the trick. I wouldn't advise it to anybody who could be helped with drugs because it's painful...and they poked a hole in my heart during the process but that all worked out. I haven't had any problems since so I'm very happy with the procedure. I couldn't try any more meds because of the fatigue it causes and I already have Chronic Fatigue so the procedure was the last resort.
    But the symptoms you are having sure sound familiar.
    Diane

Old 04-25-2004, 03:02 PM   #23
    AmyRS

AmyRS HB User

Hi there, thanks for the well-wishes.

I was taking the Nortriptyline for headaches, numbness, and tingling sensations.

My resting rate is still low, but when I go to do something like make the bed I'm still topping 160s. So I'm not sure if it was just the drug or not, but I do still notice quite the general difference being off of it!

Amy

Old 04-26-2004, 08:59 AM   #24
    tigerboxer

tigerboxer HB User

Amy, this could be a really dumb question, but (and I sound like my mom) are you eating properly? I had an eating disorder for 10 years and got most of the symptoms you described - electrolyte imbalances can really mess up your heart rate, as well as cause tingling, dizziness, etc. A lot of my friends have mentioned similar symptoms when they just skip meals or go on a fairly moderate diet.

Note to Diane: LOL at your descriptive powers - "poked a hole in my heart" made me LMAO, even though it's not exactly comedy material

Closed Thread