It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board

• TTP Contagious??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2000, 07:40 PM   #1
    maggi
    (female)

maggi HB User
    Question TTP Contagious??

My brother has had TTP for about a year and has just recently recovered from a relapse. A hemotologist at the hospital told him that TTP is contagious during the first couple of days. Has anyone ever heard of this??

Note: After rereading this I realized that it looks as if I'm the one worried about "catching" TTP. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif This is not the Case. MY Brother John is the one who is asking this question. He doesn't have internet. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Thank You
    Concerned Sister

[This message has been edited by maggi (edited 12-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by maggi (edited 12-28-2000).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2000, 10:10 AM   #2
    Ilona

Ilona HB User
    Please ask your brother to confirm that with the hematologist, and if the hematologist does confirm it, ask him to identify the microbe that causes TTP and provide any other evidence to that effect. There are substantial indications that at least some cases of TTP are caused by bacteria, but this is the first I've heard that it might be transmissible from human to human. There was one case in the literature from a long time ago about a husband-wife couple who both got TTP, which did spark questions about whether it was contagious, but there have been very few known instances of that. On the other hand, there are known cases of familial TTP, in which brothers/sisters/children/parents are known to come down with it. However, this kind of TTP behaves differently from the so-called "idiopathic" cases of TTP -- i.e., people with no known family history and no known risk factors such as stents, HIV+ status, certain prescription drugs etc. Moreover, there is nothing to be ashamed at in being afraid of catching TTP. Rest assured, though, that if human-human transmission does occur, it's pretty rare. No one in my family came down with it other than me, and that probably holds for the other posters on this board. As I said, there's very little in the scientific literature on that. Prayers for yr brother. Ilona.

Old 01-07-2001, 03:26 PM   #3
    Christine VR

Christine VR HB User
    Hi Maggie,
    I have had TTP going on 11 years now and have never heard that it was contagious, not even for a second, there are a lot of good sites on the internet that can explain more about the disease, but please tell him that the info he recieved is incorrect. Maybe he should talk to another hemotologist? Hope that this helps. Christine

Old 01-07-2001, 05:42 PM   #4
    maggi
    (female)

maggi HB User
    Smile

Thank you both for your replies. I know it has eased my brothers mind to some extent. He has been so impressed with the internet as a support tool that he has decided to look into getting the internet at home. Perhaps the next rely will be from him!!!!

Again, Thank you

Old 01-22-2001, 06:39 PM   #5
    Chris777

Chris777 HB User
    Talking

Maggi -

Just another note to tell you that TTP is not contagious. I was diagnosed w/TTP in July 1999, went into remission in January 2000. While I was in the hospital I asked numerous Dr. & nurses was it contagious, each time I was told no it was not.

I hope your brother is doing well - you will be in my prayers.

Chris

Closed Thread