It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board

• reacurring rapid massive abdominal ascites

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2003, 07:29 PM   #1
    mittzigg

mittzigg HB User
    Thumbs down reacurring rapid massive abdominal ascites

So I'm completely frustrated. I've seen over 10 doctors in every speciality out there.

I'm 21 years old and after a bad fall and an eruption of an ovarian cyst I have had reacurring rapid massive ascites.

I've had my stomach drained 5 times since January of this year. I've been tested for everything (I think) and had laproscopic surgery. They saw my ovaries and saw that the cyst had ruptured, but everything else was benign!

Every time my stomach is drained (once a month) there can be anywhere from 3-5 liters in there!

I'm currently on medication for mild anxiety, and I was diagnosed with "walking-pneumonia". I am being treated for that currently with antibiotics. I've had a cough off and on since January and I am shown to have high microplamsm.

In addition I have polysistic ovarian syndrome and I have never been treated for that. Some say that the ascites is attributed to the PCOS, but the world expert said definentely not!

One doctor said I could have psuedo Meig's Syndrome, but I'm on the shots for that and I don't see any changes.

Someone said I should seek alternative medicine. This is so crazy! It seems like no one can help me! and here it is destroying my life!

Any advice, experience or ideas?
    Thanks!

becca

[This message has been edited by mittzigg (edited 06-13-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2003, 12:49 PM   #2
    mesueminna

mesueminna HB User
    Becca not a joke here. You need to get to a liver doctor and soon. If you have not been to one. And if you have you need to find another one and get a liver biopsy. I have had 2 liver trnasplants and what you are describing is associated with liver failure. They would drain my waer off every other week and in massive amounts. I eventually started throwing up blood. If you have lost weight yet are still swelling if your periods are messed up if you have pain are tired feel the need to sleep. Those are just a few things that could be going on. But you need to get it checked out.
    Melinda
    One son deceased now.

Old 07-11-2003, 11:07 PM   #3
    mittzigg

mittzigg HB User
    Lightbulb

Thanks so much for your response Melinda.

I actually (with a lot of luck) was able to see a very good liver doctor that performed some tests that were not performed before. I'm having an ultrasound tomorrow and then if needed a liver biopsy. These docs with many years of experience are suggesting it's liver problems related to messed up levels of insulin from my untreated polysistic ovarian syndrome or I have non-alcoholic liver cirrohsis. OR something hormonoal that they cannot treat. They say whatever I have it's pretty rare, since I have no other major ongoing symptons. I've had this ascites since early December of last year!! Isn't is awful? We'll see I'm still taking hormone shots to maybe treat this for Meig's syndrome.

Gosh only 21 and all these problems!!

I hope you are doing well and making it through it all. Best of luck and thanks for being the only one to respond with some insight!

Becca

Closed Thread