It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Raynaud's Syndrome Message Board

• Surgery for Raynaud's?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
    Chironex
    (male)

Chironex HB User
    Surgery for Raynaud's?

My kid brother, diagnosed years ago with Raynaud's, just had surgery to amputate a fingertip. Is this legitimate? Standard medical practice? Without having checked it out, I had assumed that Raynaud's was rather psychological, not calling for surgery, of all things. No one else in our extended family has ever had it, so it doesn't appear to be genetic. Can someone enlighten me on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
    luca689
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
    Re: Surgery for Raynaud's?

Raynaud's is not psychological in nature. Raynaud's can cause gangrene and that often results in amputation of the affected tissue. A simple explanation of Raynaud's is that blood flow is constricted or stopped in the affected area in an exagerated capillary response to cold, change in temperature, or possibly, stress and can cause painful ulcers and tissue death.There are two main types of Raynaud's, primary and secondary to autoimmune disease, such as scleroderma, lupus or RA. There are medications that can be used to help circulation but sometimes even that is not enough. The Raynaud's attacks themselves can also be quite painful.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca689 For This Useful Post:
    Chironex (10-05-2017)
    Old 10-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chironex View Post
    My kid brother, diagnosed years ago with Raynaud's, just had surgery to amputate a fingertip. Is this legitimate? Standard medical practice? Without having checked it out, I had assumed that Raynaud's was rather psychological, not calling for surgery, of all things. No one else in our extended family has ever had it, so it doesn't appear to be genetic. Can someone enlighten me on this?
    Raynauds is caused by spasms in the muscles of the arterioles, small arteries supplying the extremities and other tissues. Raynauds typically affects the hands/fingers and feet/ toes. It can be severe enough to cause gangrene in which case amputation is required to remove the dead tissue. Your brother needs a thorough workup to see if he has an underlying connective tissue disease (autoimmune disease). This is done by a rheumatology Dr. He also needs to be educated about avoiding the triggers of the spasms, especially smoking, and may need medicine like amlodipine, which dilates the arterioles to enhance blood supply and oxygen delivery. It works well and may help prevent future problems this severe.

Last edited by ladybud; 10-05-2017 at 10:57 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    Chironex (10-05-2017)
    Old 10-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
    Chironex
    (male)

Chironex HB User

Thanks for your reply. He's had Raynaud's for some time. His fingers turn blue even in summer. His general health is pretty bad. He had half a lung removed for Stage 1 lung cancer. He has several stents in his coronary arteries. He has either scleroderma or Sjogren's - I can't remember which. Lifelong serious migraines. And AMD. And he's a very decent guy and doesn't deserve any of this.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #5
    luca689
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User

Scleroderma and Sjogren's are often found together. But I think summer is the worst for Raynaud's because air conditioning can trigger attacks just by the temperature difference between indoors and out. I wear fingerless gloves as well full gloves indoors more in summer than I do winter. Best wishes for your brother.

The following user gives a hug of support to luca689:
    Chironex (10-06-2017)
    Old 10-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chironex View Post
    Thanks for your reply. He's had Raynaud's for some time. His fingers turn blue even in summer. His general health is pretty bad. He had half a lung removed for Stage 1 lung cancer. He has several stents in his coronary arteries. He has either scleroderma or Sjogren's - I can't remember which. Lifelong serious migraines. And AMD. And he's a very decent guy and doesn't deserve any of this.
    Raynauds severe enough to cause fingertip ulcers and gangrene are common in scleroderma, but not Sjogrens. I hope he has a good Dr that will help keep the circulation optimal to his fingers and toes.

Reply Reply