It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Raynaud's Syndrome Message Board

how did my hands figure out it was cold !?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
mrvibrolux
(male)

mrvibrolux HB User
how did my hands figure out it was cold !?

I have been dealing with raynaud's for 10 years, these last two have been dramatically worse, I work outside so I thought I knew the problems well but this one stumped me.

we have just got our first cool fall mornings and have had full white finger attacks on all 8 fingers all ready. 45 degree morning isn't that cold I should be able to make it from the house to the truck with out a problem! I had on tshirt, hooded sweatshirt ,vest, and jacket, long pants, and I even put on winter gloves,(no I was not sweating, I just put half that stuff on in the garage just before walking out) the only part of me that touched the morning air was my face and a little bit of the front of my neck!

any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
luca689
Senior Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: how did my hands figure out it was cold !?

Raynaud's attacks can be caused by cold, stress, or changes in temperature. The change in temperature doesn't have to be very great either. Anything that compromises circulation can also be a culprit.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
mrvibrolux
(male)

mrvibrolux HB User

I guess I should have elaborated more....... I have never had such a dramatic raydaud's reaction within a time frame of only 1-2 minutes. Doesn't this seem odd, especially considering how well prepared I was to go out? Did not do anything different than any other day. keep in mind that I have been dealing with this awful syndrome/disease for a long time, so I have figured out the basics by now (I hope).

Am I alone here? Has any one else experienced this severe of a reaction?

Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
luca689
Senior Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User

Mine can start to happen in seconds on a hot summer day, just by walking into a cooler room - white, eventually blue and then the red warm up and the whole sequence can last quite a long time. Since the cause is vascular spasm, it can happen very quickly. If your gloves were a teeny bit tight or twisted, causing a slight compression that you would never notice, that can trigger an attack. Most people would just say "brr what a bracing morning!" at 45 degrees but even so, sometimes the temperature differential between where you were and the outside can cause an attack. Now that I think about it, in my case, the usual time frame is seconds from trigger to start of attack. If your attacks are becoming more frequent, talk to your Dr. There are medications that can help, although they may not be quite as effective for Primary Raynaud's. I think the statistics are something around half of Primary patients are helped by medications.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
mrvibrolux
(male)

mrvibrolux HB User

well, that's a bummer! I guess I have come to the point where I will have nothing left in the arsenal to help me with raynaud's if I am going to be this fragile.

Closed Thread