It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

Prialt to treat RSD

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2015, 03:26 AM   #1
revision knee
(female)

revision knee HB User
Prialt to treat RSD

Hi went to my pain management appointment yesterday and got a new physicians assistant who in one minute of knowing me suggests that I consider having a pump inserted to go to my spinal cord then carrying medication to my brain. The medication would be prialt which is snake venom which can help or and a entire list of possible some severe side effects.

Has anyone tried this and if so what was the outcome?

I've had RSD for 7 years after a revision knee replacement. Knew from the second I woke up after surgery somethings were different the pain was so intense. Take 50 mg of hydocodine 3 times a day, gabapentine 400,800,800 a day and since my pain management does not believe in break through medications I take either an additional 20 Meg's for pain or my Ortho surgeon game me flexril 10 mg which I cut in half and I'll take 1/2 during the afternoon and 1/2 at bedtime for the spasms and to sleep.

Sorry I know this is long to read but also what do you take to sleep at night. Also my other knee in bone on bone but no one will replace it with the RSD.

Thanks from Pittsburgh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #2
mia478
(female)

mia478 HB User
Re: Prialt to treat RSD

My doctor suggested the same thing but it was nearly impossible to find someone who could put one in. My husband wasn't crazy about the idea but now that everything I've tried over 22 years is slowly not working the pain is becoming unbearable. I have trouble walking and my legs/feet the main areas are terrible. I have a scooter to get around at the stores almost to the point of using a wheelchair because standing up and walking is so painful. Is there a trial you can do for the pain pump? i have a stimulator put in and there was a 3-5 day trial to make sure it would work I think the pain pump has where they use a syringe and inject in your spinal cord if it works then you are a great candidate. I say give it a try what have you got to lose nothing only the nagging feeling that it could have worked!

Reply Reply