It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Work and Pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
    afb004
    (female)

afb004 HB Userafb004 HB User
    Work and Pain

Iíve had CRPS for 8 years now. No one at work knows about it and Iíd like to keep it that way. I donít want people at work treating me as if Iím fragile or incapable of doing things.
    This has been no problem for me up until now. Iím a Band Director at a school and next week, we take our students to Disney to perform in the parade and have fun. Itís a 21hr bus ride that is going to kill me and then we will be walking around Disney and then Iíll have to keep up during the parade (CRPS is in right leg, hip, & lower back).
    Iím not sure what to do. I know I should get a wheelchair at the start so that I donít push myself too much, but I donít want my students or their parents to just think Iím being lazy. Iím going to have enough trouble after sitting for so long on the bus, so I donít even know what condition Iíll be in by the time we get there. So, what do I do? Do I just get the wheelchair and suck it up so I donít take longer to recover or do I go without in order to keep up my professional reputation and not change my studentsí view of me? I can just use the cane, but I just donít know what to do. Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Work and Pain

Dear afb,

I so appreciate your concerns. I am handicapped myself.
    Most of the time I can walk on my own, but an excursion is a different story. What I do is all that I can safely and reasonably do, and no more. A cheerfully positive and realistic attitude is a good example both to the students as well as to adults, and to on-lookers.
    One never knows when they may have some limitation of their own to deal with.

If you need to reserve and rent an automated scooter or wheel chair, by all means do it and use it as needed. Do all you can to assist your own needs. I took a trip with a friend and needed similar accommodations for sight-seeing. I paid for it and my friend was more than happy to deal with it.

Whatever you do, don't pretend, and don't risk injury that would disrupt the trip. You can walk on your own as it is safe for you. If anyone asks questions first thank them for asking and be prepared with a matter of fact, gracious and simple reply. A great attitude will support your good reputation.

Hugs,

Reply Reply