HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-crps/)
-   -   ~High Blood Sugar anyone??~ (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-crps/123947-high-blood-sugar-anyone.html)

AngeInBoston 11-07-2003 06:00 PM

~High Blood Sugar anyone??~

Hi Everyone! :wave:

Poor Joey has been going through so much lately...I'm happy to say that the Clonidine Patches AND the Clonidine Blocks seem to be working wonders, along with the Physical Therapy...they actually had him RUNNING on a track today! :cool:

Anyway, over the last few months he totally lost his appetite, and would go all day without eating a thing until 9:00pm he'd have some kind of dinner. He's lost almost 40lbs!!! He's been going through so many different Narcotics trying to find the right mix, along with the Anti Depressants and Neurontin...he says they just kill his appetite. His Psych just added Wellbutrin hoping to get his mood, appetite and energy level UP, while curbing his desire to smoke! :nono:

So, since he's been home on his Medical Leave for the past few weeks I've been forcing him to eat throughout the day, and I mean FORCING! :rolleyes: And I think he really is looking and feeling better! But he's not gaining weight yet. He's recently become addicted to Kit Kat candy bars too, and I've encouraged it since I want to see him get ANY calories I can get into him!

Today his PCP Dr called about the blood tests he took like 2 wks ago...he said his blood sugar level is borderline HIGH, and they want to take more tests. I was just talking with a coworker who was on the Atkins Diet and was just diagnosed with LOW sugar...and she thinks all that time he was barely eating has thrown his Pancreas into a tailspin....and that his sudden addiction to Root Beer and Kit Kats is because it's crying out for sugar. :eek:

I assume the Dr will tell him to go see a Nutritionist, or at least to get his diet back to a well balanced one.....I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen? Or has anyone actually developed full blown Diabetes from the RSD? I've never been able to totally understand Diabetes, but I sure hope Joey doesn't have it now!

Thanks for any info, you guys are the BEST! :dance:

~Ange~ :jester:

sharon1030 11-07-2003 06:14 PM

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Hi Ange,

I'm happy to hear that the blocks and patches are helping Joey. About the blood sugar...I have had Type I diabetes for twenty years. I don't know about Joey, but I do have an idea...if he does have high blood sugar, that might account for the weight loss, especially if he has Type I. In the past, Type I was called Juvenile Diabetes because mostly children got it, but they have found that that's not always the case. I have read of people being diagnosed with Type I at over 40 years. When I was diagnosed at age 12, I was very sick and lost a lot of weight. That's why I brought up Joey's weight loss. They can do a test, if they do decide he has diabetes, to find out if it's Type I or Type II. I'm obviously jumping the gun because we don't even know if that's what he has at all. I'm just coming from the perspective of having it myself and that's where my head goes. I'm sure it could be a bunch of other things, like possible meds??

I probably didn't help you much at all, but I'll submit this post just in case there's a snippet of info that IS useful to you. It also could have been a mistaken reading too. Have they taken more than one? That could also be the case that I just thought about now. Who knows? We all know that mistakes can happen. Please let us know what, if anything comes of this. As always, I'll be praying for your family.

Sharon :)[/COLOR][/FONT]

Horsie Nutt 11-07-2003 06:26 PM

Hi Ange. That is FANTASTIC that Joey was able to run on a track. It sounds like he is doing much better in some aspects. I am so Happy to hear that!!

I had that same eating habit too for a while, only I didn't lose much weight <pout> I just wasn't hungry during the day, and would eat one meal around 9 or 10pm. I've been trying to make myself eat more, and have been getting hungry during the day now sometimes, but if I'm not able to eat when I feel my hunger pains, they go away and I get un-hungry again. :confused: The 'not eating habit' seems to come and go over time.

I haven't had my blood sugar level checked, but maybe I should from what you said. I get chocolate cravings often, even when I'm not hungry. I do take neurontin and wellbutrin (but it hasn't helped with my smoking cravings unfortunately, cause i really want to quit - don't let Joey read that part ;)).

I always get diabetes mixed up, but it sounds like a nutritionist would be a good idea. All the kit kats and root beer could be reeking havoc in Joey's body. Try to get him to switch to a diet cola. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it, but now it's all I drink. Regular sodas taste too sweet now. (I only like certain diet drinks though). I also drink caffine free only (except for my coffee).

I hope things continue to improve for Joey and he can keep running. Maybe things might be getting on the up-swing for you guys. Try not to worry too much about the blood sugar level. Go see a nutritionist, and maybe cutting back on the sugar might help?

How's Joey's pain level been doing. It must be a little better? <crossing fingers>

I'll be keeping you guys in my prayers,
Cathy :dizzy:

sharon1030 11-07-2003 08:09 PM

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Hi Cathy,

I did the same eating thing for a long time too where I was skipping meals and it made me gain weight (along with meds, I'm sure). Anyway, I got to the point that I was NEVER hungry. This past January, I decided to make myself eat at least three-four times per day and I started to get hungry again. I think my metabolism slowed down and then when I started eating more healthfully again, it increased again. And, I've lost weight doing this too. They are small meals, like for lunch, I usually have cereal, but it seems to do the trick. Talk to you soon.

Sharon :)[/COLOR][/FONT]

brighteyes_007 11-08-2003 02:57 PM

I don't thnk that diabetes would be related to SRDS. Diabetes is the slwoing down or non production insulin due to the islets of the pancreas malfunctioning. There are two types of diabetes: one where there just isnt any production of insulin and one where the red cells can't absorb what is there. EIther way it is treated with diet, exercise and with medications. Medications maybe just oral, oral and injectible, or just injectible.

My husband has diabetes and as a medical technologist I have a pretty good understanding of the disease.

Weight loss is definitely a sign along with irritability, sleeping and lots of fatigue, and sweats etcetc. there are lots of symptoms including excessive thirst and urination. However, with the condition and medications your husband has been on he could have any or all of these symptoms which would mask the diabetes. I must tell you that my David lost alot of weight and he ate all the time. He was never a sugar eater..didnt like desserts or candy or cookies. He just couldnt get enough energy because his red blood cells couldnt let in the insulin. So, his body started breaking down his fat stores for energy. His appetite never decreased.

I hope this helped some.

Brighteyes

Horsie Nutt 11-08-2003 09:37 PM

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma]Hey Sharon, that really sucks when you don't eat yet you gain weight. That would make me really :mad:

I gained most of my weight due to inactivity in the beginning, when I couldn't do much. I'm sure the meds didn't help with that either. I was so active before the accident, I think my body went into shock when i suddenly couldn't do what I used to do anymore, and I think at one point my metabolism was in reverse :eek:

I think it's the inactivity that makes people gain weight the most. If you can't burn off the calories you consume, you gain. It sucks.

Sleep well,
Cathy [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR] :dizzy: