It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• ~~Borderline High Blood Sugar Anyone?~~

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2003, 09:09 PM   #1
    AngeInBoston
    Veteran
    (female)

AngeInBoston HB User
    Question ~~Borderline High Blood Sugar Anyone?~~

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Hi Everyone!

Joey had a call from his Dr last week that his blood sugar was 'borderline high' and they wanted to test him again We went Wednesday, but have forgotten to call for results, and Joey thinks they'd call if there was a problem

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and I'm guessing a big part of it is the fact that he's lost 45 lbs and is barely eating...

I've been researching the web, but can't really find anything about illness and high blood sugar....????

Just wondering if anyone might know something? Joey DOES have alot of the symptoms...extreme thirst, etc...he's been so sick all week Detoxing so suddenly from narcotics, although he's on Percocets now to taper down.

Also, I have him chugging alot of that Ensure and Boost drinks to get calories into him...I'm wondering if that's bad as far as the Blood Sugar goes?

Oh well, let me know if you know anything! Thanks!

~Ange~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2003, 07:53 AM   #2
    xtanner

xtanner HB User
    I have a problem with my sugar too. Since I've gone on a low-carb diet it seems to have remedied itself. Watch that Ensure! It's loaded with carbs - that will surely make the blood sugar spike. Remember, low carb, high protein and fiber. Make sure the carbs are not in the form of sugars. You can get all that info on information panels on foods. Pasta and rice are bad, empty carbs. Remember that carbs ARE sugars. Read info on diabetes, that's your best bet for educating yourself, that and visiting a dietician. It's been a struggle for me to get my sugars under control so that I don't become a full blown diabetic, I hope Joey can do that too! - Shelley

Old 11-15-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile

Hi Ange,

I told you this before...I know a little something about diabetes. I've had it since I was 12. Obviously, he might not even have it, but if he did, it would explain the weight loss--if he had Type I. They used to call Type I juvenile diabetes because children were diagnosed with it, but they don't call it juvenile diabetes anymore because adults have been diagnosed with it too.

I've also subscribed to that theory in the past that if they don't call, the tests must be normal. Just in case, I would call them to find out what Joey's sugar was this last time. As you have researched, the thirst is a common symptom of wacky blood sugars, but I'm sure it could be attributed to other things too.

The last blood sugar that came back elevated could have been a fluke, but just in case, you should find out about this last one. I hope he doesn't have diabetes because you guys have been through a lot, but if he does it is dealable. The diabetes board on this site is also very informative.

Sharon

Old 11-17-2003, 08:47 PM   #4
    AngeInBoston
    Veteran
    (female)

AngeInBoston HB User
    Wink

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=4][COLOR=Indigo]

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to thank you all and tell you the update that Joey's last results have shown a normal blood sugar level, and he said something about them doing some kind of long range hypothesis kind of thing and that they think he's fine

I'm sure he's all out of whack because I can't get ANY solid foods into him....one sandwich spread out over the day if I'm lucky! Thank goodness for finding those Ensure PLUS and Boost PLUS drinks....they have 360 cals alone, which Joey can just chug down fast....or if I make him my "Special" Shake, I'll add a ton of Haagen Daaz Ice Cream, and like 1/2 small box of powdered Pudding Mix, for a grand total of like 850+ calories!! On Sunday I got him to drink TWO of them (not at once! lol), plus we went to Wendys and he had a Cheeseburger with lettuce.....although he didn't enjoy it.

I guess it's all just part of the process....he's totally rejecting ALL his meds now, and he's a nervous wrecking ball of anxiety for it. PLUS, he's thinking about how quickly he can get back to work! I'm like, no, I don't think so!

Talk to you soon,
    ~Ange~

Old 11-18-2003, 06:53 PM   #5
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile

Hi Ange,

That's great news about the blood sugar.

Sharon

Closed Thread