It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Rsd And Menstrual Periods

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2004, 06:00 PM   #1
    Horsie Nutt
    Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User
    Rsd And Menstrual Periods

Hi everyone. I found this puzzle and thought it should be posted here after the recent debate over RSD and it's affect on the subject.

"EVER SINCE I WAS AFFECTED BY RSD I HAVE SUFFERED FROM
    IRREGULAR, PAINFUL, AND HEAVY MENSTRUAL PERIODS. CAN THIS BE RELATED TO RSD?"

There are two main factors that RSD results in painful and irregular and heavy menstrual periods.

1. The visceral inflammation which is typical of RSD. In RSD the surface skin is cold and as the skin becomes deprived of proper blood flow, the blood flowing deep structures (bone, muscle, guts, and pelvis) increases with resultant inflammation of the deep structures. This is manifested in symptoms such as abdominal pains, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), irregular, heavy, and painful menstruation, and attacks of persistent coughing. In the later stages of RSD, spontaneous attacks of abdominal pain, diarrhea, and weight loss may develop as well.

2. Sympathetic nerve blocks, especially over the lumbar sympathetic chain, or over the coeliac ganglion are quite effective to correct these problems. The alpha II blocker, Yohimex (Yohimbine) which is used for enhancement of erection, functions by reversing the cold and pale skin circulation, and as a result, the visceral deep structure inflammation is alleviated. Other sympathetic blocks such as Clonidine skin patch and oral Ketamine may be quite helpful. The attacks of diarrhea may be relieved with the help of the use of elixir of paregoric and tincture of belladonna. The later complication of attacks of diarrhea and weight loss is especially seen among patients who have been the victim of lightning strike.

H. Hooshmand, M.D.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
    Jewel2
    Inactive

Jewel2 HB User
    Re: Rsd And Menstrual Periods

Cathy,
    Thanks for the research! As I've mentioned before, I am having serious body and skin temperature problems. I'm borderline hypothermic many days. I've started having sudden abdominal/intestinal pains the last two weeks. I had chalked it up to meds or something viral, but you make me wonder if it could be the RSD. I am in stage 2 if you go by the whole stages thing. I'll bring it up with my physiatrist/anesthesiologist PMD on Tues. I had extensive blood work done on Friday and should know the results tomorrow.

Thanks again,
    Julie

Old 01-04-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
    stickgirl
    Inactive

stickgirl HB User

I find his rsd puzzels great, so knowledgeable. (think I spelt that wrong)

Thanks Cathy for posting that, I had thought about looking at the puzzles for something, but my day hasn't been all it could have been.

Have a great night all

(((((hugs))))

Old 01-05-2004, 08:11 AM   #4
    Lizotte
    Veteran
    (female)

Lizotte HB User

I also have irregular periods. I have always believed that it was due to the medicatioin that I am on. Before the RSD when I was backing down off of it (for other chronis pain issues), my periods came back on a monthly basis. Now that I had to be upped because of the RSD, my periods are irregular. My OB believes it is from the medication. With RSD do we ever know???

LiZ

Closed Thread