It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• rsd and your eyes?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
    stitchlady

stitchlady HB User
    rsd and your eyes?

Hi everyone,
    I hope you are all doing well, or your days get better if you have not been.
    I have a very strange question? Can one get a RSD spread to your eye?
    I have something very strange going on. My right eye is dropping and the area
    around it is sensitive, some what to touch, and it is painful. I guess it could be something else, but I don't know what? Just thought I would throw it out here first, and see if any of you had heard of this or had any eye problems.
    Like we need anything else...
    Anyway love you all pray for me please.
    Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 10:26 PM   #2
    Jewel2
    Inactive

Jewel2 HB User
    Re: rsd and your eyes?

Hi Lori,
    I have no idea about RSD and the eyes, but if it doesn't get better soon I would see your doctor or opthamologist. I will definitely keep you in my prayers. I hope you're doing well other than your eye problem.

Take care,
    Julie

Old 02-23-2004, 04:54 AM   #3
    ejames4773
    Veteran
    (female)

ejames4773 HB User

Hi Lori...good to see you back on the Boards. David has problems with his eyes. They get red and sore and he has drops which help. These attacks come and go. He also finds his vision blurring. No-one has connected this to RSD, but he never had those problems before. It's all so confusing.
    If you are going to take this up with your doctor, I look forward to hearing what is said. Best of luck!

Hugs,
    Edna

Old 02-23-2004, 04:16 PM   #4
    RSD_Angel
    Inactive

RSD_Angel HB User

Hey Stich,

Where have you been, nice to see you again .. missed you!!!

I dont have the drooping of the eye, but like edna said i do get attacks of blurry vision and last year got attakcs of double vision. MY PMD doc said it could be from the RSD or the Neruontin?? I still get attacks of blurry vision soo?? I have never had it before the RSD.. so i do blame it on the RSD.. go figure.. right.. add something else to the list that RSD effects..

Old 02-23-2004, 04:25 PM   #5
    stitchlady

stitchlady HB User

Hi, Edna, Bryn, It is nice to hear from you all so. How is James, and how are you Bryn?
    Jewel I don't think we have met yet, I trust you are loving it here! Thank you all for your input. I have been doing pretty well. I am still in PT, and starting school on Monday, a career change. I can't do surgeries anymore, but all is well. This eye thing is
    a bother, but we all adapt don't we.
    Lori

Old 02-23-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
    RSD_Angel
    Inactive

RSD_Angel HB User

Stich,

Im doing ok., having a second stim implanted soon,.. this one will be in my leg and hooked to my sciatic nerve to see if this works...

what are you going to school for?? Good luck with your studies too!!

Old 02-23-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile Re: rsd and your eyes?

Hi Lori,

It's so nice to see you. I've missed you. I don't have any answers for your eye question. Sorry about it though. I just wanted to wish you good luck with school. You'll do great! Let us know how it goes and with your eye too.

Sharon

Old 02-24-2004, 12:31 AM   #8
    Horsie Nutt
    Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User

Hiya Lori! Unfortunately, I have read several articles that did mention RSD spreading to people's eyes. From what I understand, the monster goes pretty much anywhere it wants to. However, like everyone else has mentioned, I have blurry vision, and occassionally double vision when watching TV when I am tired and/or it's late. It's fuzzy right now and my eyes itch and burn too, but that's not abnormal for it being so late. Allergies can also cause the itching. Neurontin most definitely messes with your vision too. I'd call your doc and talk to him/her about it. It could easily be something completely unrelated to RSD, and the sooner you address it the better your chances of correcting it, but I know you know that. You could have a cyst or something that you can't feel hitting a nerve or whatever that is causing the pain. It could be alot of things.

I finally went and had my eyes examined and the doc told me that I see 20/20 in both eyes, but I am farsighted. Okay, but I am not sitting close to the TV when I watch it, so why the blurry vision? Probably the neurontin and tiredness (my guess). I picked up a pair of non-script magnifying glasses and a hard case for under $20.00 and use them to read and watch TV when my eyes act up and they do help me see a little better (it sure beat the $160.00+ pair of glasses he was trying to sell me that were the exact same thing as these). It's better than watching TV with my hand covering one of my eyes so I don't see double for sure. You guys ought to try it, you can always return the glasses if it doesn't help. Drops help my ithcing too.

I'm sorry you can't do surgery anymore Lori. I know how you feel, exactly. I am still holding on to a fading hope of being able to go back, but like I said, my hope is fading. Please let us know what you are going to study in school. Maybe it's something i could do too?

I hope you all are having a pain tolerable night. I am going to go get a snack and try to go to bed again. Nite-Nite.

<Hugs>
    Cathy

Old 02-24-2004, 02:05 AM   #9
    Sandson

Sandson HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stitchlady
    Hi everyone,
    I hope you are all doing well, or your days get better if you have not been.
    I have a very strange question? Can one get a RSD spread to your eye?
    I have something very strange going on. My right eye is dropping and the area
    around it is sensitive, some what to touch, and it is painful. I guess it could be something else, but I don't know what? Just thought I would throw it out here first, and see if any of you had heard of this or had any eye problems.
    Like we need anything else...
    Anyway love you all pray for me please.
    Lori
    Lori:

According to my physicans, RSD does not spread to your eyes. However, it can effect your vision dramatically. I know in my case I have expereince some blurry ness and problems with light sensitivity.

You should check out Cathy (Horsie Nut Post). I found it interesting that she found that neurotin caused the blurry vision. This is interesting becuase I know I first started experiencing blurry vision when I started taking Elavil.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:42 AM   #10
    Horsie Nutt
    Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User

Here's some articles I found regarding RSD and your eyes. It really sucks.
    Cathy

--------
    RSDS DESCRIPTION:
    Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome is a progressive disease of the Autonomic Nervous System that can follow a simple trauma (fall or sprain) a break or fracture (especially wrist and ankle) a sharp force injury (such as a knife or bullet wound), heart problems, infections, surgery, RSI/CTS, spinal injuries/disorders, or major trauma. It is a multi-symptom condition affecting one, two, or sometimes even all four of the extremities. It can also be in the face, shoulders, back, eyes, and other areas as well. It may spread from one part of the body to another regardless of where the original injury occurred; and RSD can spread in up to 70% of the cases. In a small number of cases it can become Systemic or body-wide. RSDS is an involvement of nerves, skin, muscles, blood vessels (causing constriction and pain) as well as bones.
    ANYONE can get RSDS. There are now an estimated SEVEN MILLION Women, Men, and Children across the United States with this disease. It affects women many more times than men, maybe as high as four or five to one, and affects all age groups from 3 to 103.
    -----------------------------
    RSD PUZZLE #130

Eye Complications in CRPS;
    Question:

Dear Dr. Hooshmand,
    Over t he last year I have developed watering eyes and my left eye turns outwards with double vision. Can this problem be related to my CRPS/RSD?
    --------
    Answer:

Dear SJ,
    Many thanks for your e-mail letter. You suffer from 2 well-known complications of CRPS.

1. Keratitis Sicca which is due to CRPS at early stage causing pain and irritation in the eye with secondary excessive secretion tears. As the condition becomes chronic, the tear glands become exhausted, causing "dry eye" ( Keratitis Sicca). You need to use artificial tears every 2-3 hours while you are awake. Also, halfway during the sleep hours(approximately 3 hours after you are asleep), you should set the alarm clock to treat the eyes with artificial tears in liquid or viscous form.

2. You described deviation of the left eye sideways as well as double vision, and poor equilibrium. These are typical signs of poor circulation to the brain stem causing disturbance of focusing, and partial paresis of the eyes, and poor balance and falling attacks.

Treatment for the above consists of cervical epidural blocks containing Depo-Medrol®, cervical paravertebral blocks followed by cervical massage to neutralize and to disseminate the irritative chemicals, e.g., substance P (pain substance which is identical to the chemical irritant Capsaicin), CGRP, and nitric oxide to peripheral blood circulation, and eventual excretion of these chemicals. Otherwise, you are at the risk of developing a major stroke.

With many thanks,

H. Hooshmand, M.D.

----------
    RSD PUZZLE #24
    Visual And Hearing Problems:

RSD patients frequently develop blurring of vision, reading difficulty, problem with focusing, dizziness in the form of vertiginous attacks (either the body or the objects moving around). As well as hearing problems such as buzzing in the ear (tinnitus).

It is immaterial which part of the body has had the damage causing RSD. As the enclosed figure shows, the sympathetic nervous system is intermingled and connected through sympathetic ganglia which are on each side of the vertebrae from lower cervical spine region all the way down to the tail bone. This chain of sympathetic connections causes the spread of RSD to symptoms and signs both across the midline to the opposite side (from hand to hand or from foot to foot) and vertically up and down the spine. As a result, the patient may have RSD due to a knee injury or injury to the foot or hand and yet may develop stimulation and abnormal function of the sympathetic system causing constriction of the blood vessels to the brain. When the blood vessels are constricted in the distribution of vertebral arteries in the cervical spine and in the distribution of the blood vessels providing circulation for the hearing center and brainstem, the patient develops attacks of dizziness, trouble with focusing with the eyes (due to brainstem dysfunction which has the responsibility of coordinating the eye movements), and buzzing in the ears(tinnitus).

Treatment with alpha blockers (such as Clonodine, Hytrin, etc.), as well as newer antidepressants such as Trazodone or Zoloft, provide excellent relief for the above symptoms (figure enclosed) and Muscle relaxants such as Baclofen and Trizanidine.

At times the original injury that has caused RSD may cause retinal detachment (damage to the retina of the eye) or bleeding of the eye. For this reason, the patient should have careful eye examination by an ophthalmologist as well.

H. Hooshmand, M.D.
    ---------------------

Old 02-24-2004, 10:55 AM   #11
    stitchlady

stitchlady HB User

Wow, I didn't know so many people had vision problems! Cathy, and Sharon nice to hear from the two of you. Cathy I know you are a CST all so. I went through alot of test to find what my next career would be. I am going to school for Human Resources/ Office Mgmt. I all so need some computer classes. Should be fun with some of the drugs we take. I hope I can retain it.
    I pray everyone is doing well,
    Lori

Old 02-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #12
    Horsie Nutt
    Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User

It's nice to hear from you also Lori. That's a good idea for a career change. I know I wouldn't be able to retain anything, my memory and speaking ability has gotten extremely bad over the past couple of months, especially since my last epi infusion. I can't remember anything (where I put things 5 minutes ago and such), and I am always stumbling for the correct words, it's so much worse than it used to be and it makes me feel so stupid. Thank God I have a few good friends still that understand and are patient with me, and they try to help me find the right word(s) I am trying to say.

It's POURING out all of a sudden, I need to shut the puter down.

Good luck in school,
    <Hugs>
    Cathy

Old 02-24-2004, 02:10 PM   #13
    Jewel2
    Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi Lori, it's nice to meet you, too. I think you kind of left the boards for a while right after I started here.

Cathy, your posts are very informative. Thanks for doing the research!

Julie

Old 02-24-2004, 10:38 PM   #14
    Horsie Nutt
    Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User

Thank you Julie, and you're welcome. I'm just trying to help.

<Hugs>

Closed Thread