It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Swelling, hands, fingers, legs, feet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2004, 03:10 AM   #1
    cheryl1121
    (female)

cheryl1121 HB User
    Swelling, hands, fingers, legs, feet

Still waiting to have test to see if I have RSD. But past week my toes are numb on both feet, bottom of forefoot numb and feels like a ball in it. Feet and ankles and legs are greatly swelled. My fingers swell to where I cannot even move my fingers. The pain and burning are getting unbearable in my hands. Had carpel tunnel realease surgery last august in both hands, been a struggle every since. Is a w/c case so it has been pure hell. Went to my neuro yesterday for regular visit, showed him my hands and feet, my right hand at the time was also purple. Both hands and feet were very swelled at the time, all he said was you have rheumatoid arthritis. I said no I don't I just got tested and xrays taken last month for that and no arthritis. Told him I wanted to be tested for RSD and he just brushed that idea off. I don't know where to turn anymore. Feels like my whole body is swollen. I have gained a little weight but yet my clothes are too tight to even put them on. Stomach is very bloated. Arms and legs are very weak. Just a real bad sick feelingd. What kind of doctor should I try to go see to get some test done. I feel that if it is RSD it has already spread to both legs and feet. Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 11:05 AM   #2
    msdrea83
    Inactive

msdrea83 HB User
    Re: Swelling, hands, fingers, legs, feet

try going to see a pain management doctor. that's what a lot of us see. he might be able to help you a little more if you'r trying to get diagnosed with rsd, although i hope your neuro is right and you don't have it. goodluck!
    ~andrea~

Old 06-11-2004, 11:56 AM   #3
    Gina2005

Gina2005 HB User
    Re: Swelling, hands, fingers, legs, feet

Hi Cheryl

The symptoms you describe are consistant with rheumatoid arthritis, RSD and many other problems.That's one of the tricky things about RSD, it manifests like many other disorders. The fact that you are having joint symptoms bi-laterally is a major indicator of RA.

Before my diagnoses of RSD, I was seeing a rheumatologist. I went through all the tests, X-rays, etc. My doctor told me that only 50-70% of people with RA actually test positive for it, and in the early stages there may be no evidence on x-rays. He also explained that an injury can "set RA off" in a way similar to RSD. If you are not happy with your current diagnoses, I would make an appointment with your primary care doctor, discuss the situation with him and from there he should be able to give you an appropriate referal. Getting another rheumatology consult may be in order first before seeing a pain doc. I saw you mention this is a WC case so I don't know if this would be eligiable for coverage, but if not and you can afford it I would definetly get a seond opinion. Either way your PCP should be able to guide you in the right direction.

I hope this helps. In the meantime, what treatments if any are you doing right now? Do they have you on any DMARDS like plaquenil or methotrexate? How is the pain being treated? Whether this is RSD or RA, keeping your affected limbs moving is important. Try soaking your hands and feet in warm water and epsom salt for 10 minutes then gently stretching and doing range of motion exercises a few times a day. Keep your limbs elevated, and try using over the counter menthol pain patches then using heat over them. That really helped me before I was diagnosed.

Please keep us posted Cheryl. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Gina

Closed Thread