It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Wife has gone from pain level 10 to "0" in 3weeks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2004, 11:41 AM   #1
    gomezc

gomezc HB User
    Wife has gone from pain level 10 to "0" in 3weeks

she's had full body RSD for about 5 years, and 3years of the blocks, lidocaine infusion, ketamine infusion, drugs of every type, injectables, hardcore narcotics. we been to see most of the "famous" RSD DR/Experts around the country, and finally found complete "remission " in Corpus Christi, Tx. She is a totally different person. a month ago she constantly talked suicide, but couldn't possibly harm herself, and even her massive supply of narcotics wouldn't do much to her, after all these years. those of you that have run out of answers, owe it to yourselves to call Dr Rhodes in Corpus Christi. he's working wonders down there, and my wife was not the only one, to see results like this. one poor 19yr old girl arrived in a wheelchair wearing diapers, totally addicted to oxycontin. she still has some pain, but is drug free, walking, and now planning her life

The Following User Says Thank You to gomezc For This Useful Post:
    mzbreze82 (04-30-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
    jokehakk

jokehakk HB User
    Re: Wife has gone from pain level 10 to "0" in 3weeks

hello, that is great your wife has went into remission. What did the dr, do for her in TX? Will this last or will she have to go for more treatments? I would love to hear more and I'm glad your wife is pain-free....

Old 07-14-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
    gomezc

gomezc HB User

he treats the patients with a machine he developed for "his" RSD. it's like a tens machine but he made a lot of changes for treating rsd, as well as other programs for other diseases. the machine has wire leads that are attached to different nerve zones, and there are numerous programs that take various times. she generally does 3-4 20-40 minute programs in the morning, and the same amount at night, and she's good to go. he's been able to handle her pain, withdrawls, hormones, anxiety, pretty much everything. 3-weeks ago she was on maximum amounts of demerol, norco, methadone, and now, just the machine

Old 07-14-2004, 09:46 PM   #4
    msdrea83
    Inactive

msdrea83 HB User

i thought about going there but my doctor told me not to go there because that place was only trying to sell their machine. has your wife actually left the facility yet?

Old 07-15-2004, 05:57 AM   #5
    gomezc

gomezc HB User

she is still in Corpus and visits the clinic once a day. we have been taking turns staying with her. i am flying in Saturday to take over, and drive her back home Monday. we bought the machine, some don't and visit the clinic when and if symptoms return. he is very accessable and having the machine will be much cheaper than travel for us. considering we've spent over $100K out of pocket over the last three years, the price of the machine, for what it has accomplished, is a bargin.

Old 07-15-2004, 08:53 AM   #6
    jokehakk

jokehakk HB User

GOMEZC,

thats awesome that you have a 100k to spend on a machine. I sure don't have that kind of cash to spend out of pocket. Its interesting though. I live in PA and don't live close to TX.. I never heard of this before, hopefully the dr. will make a patent and get it approved so insurances will cover such machines in the future, to help all of us. I hope its a breakthrough procedure for the rsd world. I have heard of pain clinics before, where a person spends a 1 month going to the place and it costs about $10,000 dollars for the year. the rsd is suppose to be put in remission. I hope it keeps on working for her. Sometimes rsd will just go remission by itself, and no dr, can explain why. Then the person is left with the residual effects from not using the limb, surgeries, blocks, etc. Its very exciting news.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:29 AM   #7
    gomezc

gomezc HB User

NO!, we've spent that much on dr's, hospitals. airlines, hotels etc over the last 3years on RSD. the machine costs $2995.00 and should be partially covered by insurance

Old 07-15-2004, 08:15 PM   #8
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Aloha My name is Skooze and I'm new to this site. I have RSD in the upper left extremity and it's spreading to the lower left extremity. Is this machine called an STSi machine? I tried one out here on Maui for 10 days through a licensed P.T. After 3 days I slept for the 1st time in 4 years. This machine cost $2995. I bought the machine for home use 1 week later in 3/2004. I was doing so good on this machine till I fell and hurt myself exercising at home(4/20/2004). But I crawled back on the machine and after adjusting my pain meds as well I am slowly getting back to feeling human. I do a 20 minute session on the feet and 40 minute session on the hands(the RSD in in my upper extremity). I had to close out my work comp case and now I'm on medicare but at least I could buy the machine, that I call my baby. My neurosurgeon says this works on the same principals as accupuncture. Please let me know. I'm miracle #3 in Hawaii.After 4 years of pain this is the key.

Old 07-16-2004, 05:25 AM   #9
    gomezc

gomezc HB User

Skooze, it sounds like the same thing. she also uses a series of 20 min/40min "protocols". she has had the machine "tuned" to her, through a series of EEG/EKG,,etc, so that it works better on her only, and would not work as well on someone else. Dr Rhodes has given us many many "protocols" for just about any ailment, and will fax new ones at your request n/c. he has made many changes to the basic machine, and knows it like the back of his hand.this doctor and his drug free process has been a Godsend (for us)

Last edited by gomezc; 07-16-2004 at 05:26 AM.

Old 07-16-2004, 09:03 AM   #10
    JOSH12

JOSH12 HB User
    Talking Re: Wife has gone from pain level 10 to "0" in 3weeks

Congratulations Gomezc that is fantastic news & thank you for sharing it with others.

For some critical thinking...I do have a few issues I'd like to see addressed however. As patents become public record I located his for what appears to be this neurostimulation device; "Treatment of pain and of the nervous system" - issued Patent 5,995,873 (can do a google search for that patent #), also & "Topical treatment of pain and to promote healing" # 6,284,797 for a Capsaicin-NRI-vasodilator-local anesthetic-absorption enhancer compound cream & a published application 20020099425 for "Interferential current treatment apparatus". I'd include links but it seems this board does not permit linking externally if I understand the rules. An issued patent however is not proof of efficacy or safety.

Issues:

1) Does it stand up to the rigors of evidence based medicine, i.e. Randomized Controlled Trials preferably prospective double blinded placebo controlled studies to control for chance, bias, placebo & adverse effects. -For your wife, it seems to be doing the trick after all other interventions failing but imagine if a well designed RCT had been done & published in well respected peer reviewed journals years ago then she & others would have found it that much earlier without so much agony. Clinicians could integrate it into their practices & insurances would have a much harder time denying its coverage. For RSD such evidence based medicine isn't much of a reality yet unfortunately but there is some for other neuropathic pain conditions from where many RSD treatment ideas come from (along with important basic science/pr*******al studies). It obviously sounds less invasive & expensive than a Spinal Cord Stimulator so I find such anecdotal reports intriguing. I'd expect patients & insurers would welcome it if some RCTs were done.

2) He apparently has licensed out this machine to Dynatronics (who probably could fund an RCT) where they have a couple downloadable non-RCT articles by Texas based MDs & little video & FAQ. Of course this does not sound like the ideal place to find unbiased information but is something to look over. Here are a couple of their abstracts for example:

Effects of Sympathetic Therapy on Chronic Pain
    Ernesto H. Guido, MD, ABPN

Abstract. Twenty volunteers suffering from chronic pain, caused by peripheral neuropathies, received sympathetic therapy treatments, which utilize electric current to treat the sympathetic nervous system. Subjects, ranging in age from 37 to 75, were treated daily for a period of 28 days. At the onset of the study, 73% of the responding subjects reported moderate to severe pain. By day five, this number was reduced to 50%. By the end of the study, only one-third of the subjects reported moderate to severe pain. Ten patients (50%) reported total relief of pain. Following the complete treatment period, 80% of the subjects reported an overall improvement in their quality of life, 80% of the subjects reported that they were sleeping better, and 40% of the subjects were able to reduce their medications significantly. These subjects had previously been unresponsive to other therapeutic regimens.

American Journal of Pain Management 2002: 12:31-34.

Retrospective Study of Sympathetic Therapy for Pain Attenuation in 197 Patients
    Steven M. Sacks, M.D., Jo Ann Ernst, M.D.

Abstract. 197 patients presenting with chronic pain of varying origins were treated with daily Sympathetic Therapy treatments. As a result of these treatments, 33% of patients reported achieving total pain relief. An additional 58% of patients reported mild to significant reductions in pain. Of those indicating mild to significant pain relief the average pain reduction reported was 63%. Some patients began to experience pain relief after one treatment while others required several weeks of treatments before experiencing initial pain relief. Duration of relief also varied. 83% of patients achieving relief and available for follow-up continued to maintain the same or greater levels of pain relief 90 days following treatment, with 8% of these patients requiring no further treatments. 40% of these patients chose to continue occasional maintenance treatments to maintain pain relief levels achieved during initial treatments. 52% of these patients received ongoing daily treatments to sustain pain relief levels achieved during initial treatments. In addition, 85% of patients reported an average increase in daily living activities of at least 50%, 70% reported a reduction of at least 50% in pain medications, and 77% reported an average improvement in sleep of at least 50%. The results of this single group retrospective analysis suggest that Sympathetic Therapy treatments offer an effective non-invasive option for providing symptomatic relief of chronic pain.

3) Why not better published (these articles aren't even indexed in medline)? I couldn't find anything he authored in medline which is the largest medical database in the world (& not necessarily only mainstream journals).

4) Why not formally train other MDs (as he certainly can't see all the patients who could benefit) & he also could gain more third party perspectives from other practitioners.

5) If this is what Dr. Rhodes now dedicates his practice to why not at least have more of an internet presence (all I found was some aol hosted website that seems rather outdated).

In the end I truly am psyched for your wife & you.

If you see him Saturday feel free to ask him these critical questions from others intrigued by such reports & let us know,

Good luck-we hope to hear back from you both, -Best Wishes

Old 07-16-2004, 12:22 PM   #11
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi it's Skooze again. Sounds like the STS machine! The FDA approved this machine in 2002 for treating chronic pain. Yes Josh you're right about the research. This machine is still in its infant stages as far as testing goes. Anyone can research this machine at dynatronics.com. This machine can only be used under a licensed practioner and if successful it may be purchased with a Dr's prescription and used under close supervision with their dr. The STS has 17 target areas. Each target area has 6 treatment options (potocols). I use the Upper Back target one cause my RSD is in my left shoulder & hand. This target area also treats shoulders, esophagus, upper stomach. their are 2 sets of lead wires of 4 per set.(Colors are are red, black, yellow white). There are also 4 different frequency levels. Mr. G sounds like your wife is using the medium frequency range,frequency 3&4, twice a day. Like I said before I'm miracle #3 in Hawaii. Miracle #1 is Tina. You can go to the rsds website & check out her story under My Stories--Tina Mohr. This is how I found out about this machine. Tina is a LMT & has had RSD for 10 years+. This machine is the only thing that has helped her, and she is licensed to use it to help other people. She told me to watch your life blossom and she thinks her RSD has gone into remission. #2 is Kathy who has had rsd 10+ years too. She has it in the lower extremity. I started a support group here 2 years ago for RSD/Work comp sufferer's. I had to split the group in 2, cause they are 2 different animals. Kathy religiously came to every meeting, on crutches. She started treatments same as Tina about 1 year ago. 3 months later Kathy could dirve alone & was off her crutches I was deterioating and was pretty much bed ridden. I closed my wc case because all they know is 1 word DENIED. I knew this STS machine was the ticket cause 2 close friends are walking proof. I tried the machine out for 10 days, & on day 3, I slept for the first time in 4 years, before I bought one. I've only been on it for 4 1/2 months. My daily 1 hour treatment w/exercise is my routine to get better , but I at least now have some kind of a life. I too can drive now and I'm no longer bed ridden. I'm still on pain meds, and may be the rest of my life. But I accept that. There is little research done for this treating RSD sufferer's. But we are working on it 1 baby step at a time. My dr.told me that some ins. co. wanted to rent the machine for someone else cause it's the only thing that has helped another person. They don't rent the machines, but after a fight they settled on $800 a month to rent it. It costs $3000. If the insurance companies would just take their heads out of the sand, maybe RSD could be caught early enough and go into remission. But like I said before it is still in its infancy stage. I'll try anything once,as all of us have, & this I know is the answer to help manage the symptoms and pain that attacks the sypathetic nervous system--RSD> Aloha Skooze.

Last edited by Skooze; 07-23-2004 at 11:26 AM.

Old 07-23-2004, 11:24 AM   #12
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi GomezC! I was just curious of how your wife is doing and if she is home yet? I decided to try the sts machine at night, cause you said your wife did it 2 times a day. I tried it at 9 pm, and fell asleep wired to the machine w/ my contacts in. My daughter woke me up. Whew, thank god for kids! The 2nd nite same thing happened! But both nights I was so tired, that I didn't even take a sleeping pill, but I did wake up earlier, 5:30 instead of 6:30 but I was much sorer. When I use the machine in the daytime, I use it around 10 am, & then I exercise afterwards. When I use it at night, I go straight back to bed, and I hurt more, yet I don't sleep as well either, I keep waking up in pain. The 3rd nite, I did take a sleeping pill, & I still kept waking up! I guess everybody is different. I looked up on the web and Dr. Rhoades is listed there! Is that how you found out about him? Please let us know how she is doing! Also I wanted to mention that since I've been on this machine as of 3/2004, I have not been sick once! Before I was getting sick every month, usually the time I went to see my Dr., I'd come down with something because my immune system was so shot! Before RSD I rarely got sick. After RSD I was sick all the time, until the STS machine. Anyone else out there notice if they get sick more or not since they've had RSD? I t would be interesting to know. Take care Aloha Skooze

Old 07-23-2004, 12:03 PM   #13
    gomezc

gomezc HB User

Well i got her back home Tuesday, and she still feels great. no pain, no drugs. her RSD started in her toes and stopped on the right side of her face (couldn't chew). after 12years of surgerys, blocks,infusions, scans, mri's,pumps,drugs, drugs, and more drugs. we injected demerol, ketamine and every other drug to bypass the liver, at home, that i needed a huge safe, just for drugs. we are still in shock, that that part of our lives might be over. and to think something as simple as an electronic accupuncture machine, could bring our living hell to a halt. i didn't have the opportunity to talk to Dr Rhodes in detail about all of DrJosh's questions, because the entire office was covered wall to wall with type II diabetes patients (study). he is treating them with the same machine with different protocols. next up is Parkinsons. so he is pretty busy. i told him about his website, and he said he is having a professional update it, with a lot of information about what he is doing. i also asked him about what we should do, if he gets crushed by one of his horses tommorrow. he smiled and told me he has, and is training all interested DR's, his thoughts and proceedures. many are like my wife's pain management Dr, who upon seeing her yesterday, had his assistant book a flight to Corpus Christi for himself to meet the Dr who accomplished this much with "his" patient in 3 weeks. He asked us if we prayed or believed in God, because he claimed, "this is a miracle", and said he couldn't wait to meet Dr Rhodes. so he seems to be trying to get the word out.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:35 PM   #14
    gomezc

gomezc HB User

Hi Skooze, her maintaince protocols are the same for morn/night at 7am/7pm 40min feet/40min hands. 7 days a week, unless some pain should surface, or anything else unforseen. so far, so good.

Old 07-23-2004, 08:15 PM   #15
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Gomezc!! I'm so happy she's home & doing well. I guess you bought the magic miracle machine and did a book come with it? If so can you look and see if on page 25-26 is the protocol that I'm on for the shoulder area. I'm excited to see what protocol your wife is on! You said that her RSD started in her feet and went up to her jaw. Is that why she is on the 40 min./40 min. treatment twice a day? Because my RSD started in my left shoulder/neck and went to my wrist/hand, and is now moving into the left leg. The daily treatment is trying to prevent it from going into the lower leg, and I can go up higher on that 20 minute frequency. The 40 min. upper treatment I can only go up to 2, & today I had to turn that down to 1. I also saw my doctor today, & she is ordering another MRI on left shoulder and my neck, because after I had neck surgery in 12/02, I'm still having troubles with C2 & c6/7. I don't want any more surgery!! My neuromuscular massuese who started working on me again (now that I have to pay for it it's not as often as I'd like) said the problem is at C2! I almost kicked her when she touched my lower left leg, cause that was not there before. Has anyone else out there had MRI's before and after being diagnosed w/RSD??
    I'm also curious, you called it a simple accupuncture machine. Did your doctor call it this or did you? Because my neurosurgeon called it a machine based on the principals of accupuncture!! Unlike a tens that treats specific target areas where the electrodes are placed, this treats the body on the feet and hands where the CNS trigger points are. I'm also curious if Dr. Rhodes is treating groups of people with different disorders say for a month each, to gather data so he can provide proof to the world that this machine is the ticket to out of he** I'm happy for both of you and hey, I too have a safe! I'm gonna try tommorow spacing out the treatments. You gave me help thank-you. I won't say what I named this machine yet because my docs and other friends say that I should have it trade marked. Aloha Skooze

Last edited by Skooze; 07-23-2004 at 08:36 PM.

Closed Thread