HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-crps/)
-   -   HELP!!! EMG/NCS in RSD-affected area? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-crps/313034-help-emg-ncs-rsd-affected-area.html)

WandaT 08-09-2005 10:01 AM

HELP!!! EMG/NCS in RSD-affected area?

My new physiatrist wants me to have EMG/NCS in the lower leg/foot that is affected with RSD, to find out if I also have some nerve entrapments. The former foot dr. said I have deep peroneal neuritis, sural neuritis and perhaps superficial peroneal neuritis. The new dr. says we have to know because if we treat the RSD without treating any nerve entrapments (pain generators) it won’t do any good.

Problem is, I had these tests 20 yrs. ago after a car accident, and they were hideously painful. Swore I would never put myself through that again - and I wasn’t in nearly the pain then as I am now. At one point it was so bad that I “convulsed” right off the table into the technician, taking us both to the floor (which I thought was only fair). The idea of letting someone do that again, especially in my RSD foot, sounds like a really bad idea. Can’t imagine someone sticking needles in my foot, as there are a few places I can’t even touch with my bare finger. And dread to think how the ever-escalating shocks from the NCS will intensify/flare the RSD pain.

Was just reading how a single injection for a nerve block in an RSD area could really worsen the pain. With EMG, they stick the needle in once, then almost withdraw it then redirect it about 4-5 different directions in each muscle. And move it around once it is in each location. And she wants to test every muscle from my back down through the foot!

This was pretty bad even without RSD...has anyone had this done since they got RSD? How was it?

wanda

Jewel2 08-09-2005 12:55 PM

Re: HELP!!! EMG/NCS in RSD-affected area?

Hi Wanda,
I haven't had one since my RSD. The ones I had before then were uncomfortable, but bearable.

I agree with your physiatrist that just treating the RSD without knowing if a nerve entrapment is involved would not be effective. The good news is that if there is an entrapment that can be 'undone' the RSD may abate on its own.

Hopefully somebody will come along with firsthand experience. I know that others on the board have had EMG/NCS in their RSD limbs. Try searching this board to read past posts about the subject.

Take care,
Julie

redhd4 08-09-2005 04:31 PM

Hi Wanda,

Sorry to hear of all the pain you are in and everything you are going through. I am new to the board so I have little experience to answer some peoples quetions, but this is actually one I can give a bit of insight to. I had an EMG about 4-5 months ago, at the time I had RSD but they didn't know it, the day of my appt. my right leg from the knee down was so swollen that when she stuck the needle in and tried to get a reading she couldn't and let me tell you it hurt like you would not believe, I knew something was wrong because I had an EMG 3 months previous and it was uncomfortable but not painful like it was this time with having the RSD. I swore to my husband I would never have this done again, the pain was unbearable. Having this done caused a horrible flareup and I could hardly walk for a week or so, the bottom of my foot got very sensitive and painful and I got alot of pain on the top of my foot and some discoloration, kind've like a black and blue patch that my husband and I could not understand, it felt like a brick had been dropped on my foot. I also had severe pain in my knee and leg to the point that it felt hot, swollen , stiff and painful. I had a venous doppler done on this leg 2months before the EMG due to all the swelling and pain , they thought I had a blood clot and let me tell you just from her running the the doppler thing across my leg I was in tears, she kept saying how sorry she was because I started crying. Needless to say after this experience I was not looking forward to someone putting needles in my sore leg. If I knew that I had RSD I probably wouldn't of had it done. I hope this helps alittle. :bouncing:
Hope all goes well. Keep us updated, any questions feel free to ask.

Wishing you a pain free day.

LISA :angel:

Gaollan 08-09-2005 05:08 PM

I had an EMG done last year. The test itself was a bit painful but not too bad. It was afterwards that I hurt most. It hurt to walk for a few days after but eased up. At the time I had RSD in both legs, feet and hips. They tested from my lower back down through my feet.
I'm mostly sensitive to air and only sometimes touch, like when my pain level sky rockets. Reading what I have, could the sensitivity itself have anything to do with it? Like, if you're sensitive to touch, does this test hurt more than just being sensitive to air like me? Interesting thing to ponder that.

Karen