It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Anyone tried DMSO for RSD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
    deepsouth
    Inactive
    (female)

deepsouth HB User
    Anyone tried DMSO for RSD?

In the Netherlands, DMSO is required protocol for RSD. They claim it has a good success rate, but they use it early in the disease. My wife is using it with her ketamine cream to help carry the ketamine into the tissue.

She is also taking MSM (derivative of DMSO) orally. So far we haven't seen any improvement but what we've read about it says it could take months to get benefit, especially if not early in the disease.

We are really willing to try anything if it will only give her some relief. I'd be perfectly happy to pay a witch doctor to shake a rattle in her face and spit rum on her if it would relieve her pain (don't think my insurance would cover that)! Placebo? Hey, if it works, I'll take all ya got!

Is there a way to send private messages to posters on this board, or maybe provide contact information? I'd like to hear from anyone who has advice that they may not want to share in a public forum like this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
    Budko
    Inactive

Budko HB User
    Re: Anyone tried DMSO for RSD?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deepsouth
    In the Netherlands, DMSO is required protocol for RSD. They claim it has a good success rate, but they use it early in the disease. My wife is using it with her ketamine cream to help carry the ketamine into the tissue.

She is also taking MSM (derivative of DMSO) orally. So far we haven't seen any improvement but what we've read about it says it could take months to get benefit, especially if not early in the disease.Unfortunately, the most of us live in the States and are limited on New Treatment.I have never heard of DMSO. As far as the Ketamine, is really not an option here in New Mexico. My doc has mentioned it, but it was more shop talk. There was an Article about the Ketamine Infusion in our local paper and if you want it you have to go to Germany, along with 30 grand

We are really willing to try anything if it will only give her some relief. I'd be perfectly happy to pay a witch doctor to shake a rattle in her face and spit rum on her if it would relieve her pain (don't think my insurance would cover that)! Placebo? Hey, if it works, I'll take all ya got!I agree, I will stand on my head, yelling Monkey! LOL

Is there a way to send private messages to posters on this board, or maybe provide contact information? I'd like to hear from anyone who has advice that they may not want to share in a public forum like this.I wish we had the option to contact eachother. I have missed out on some good friendships. You will find that we are pretty open here and we really don't hold back, including myself. If I find a way around it, I will let you know ;O)

Kim

Old 10-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
    deepsouth
    Inactive
    (female)

deepsouth HB User

You can get DMSO and MSM online from tons of companies in the US. They are both perfectly legal here. If you believe what the people who sell them say, either one will cure what ails you! Lots of hype, but little hard, unbiased information. If you have patience, you can find the occasional website that doesn't have a stake in selling the stuff and get some reasonable information. Both seem to work well for arthritis and the MSM is supposed to be good for fibromyalgia. Vets in the US have been using both for years on dogs and horses with good results for joint/inflamation problems.

I do know that my shoulder, which I injured in May 2004 didn't improve (maybe got worse) for over a year until I started taking some anti-inflamatory herbs (turmeric and ashwagandha), as well as MSM (orally and gel topically). I recently began using the DMSO on my shoulder and it seems to be more effective than the MSM gel. With this treatment the pain is about 90% gone.

That said, I don't have RSD. I'm just too stubborn to admit my age and I occasionally do something my body objects to.

If anyone is interested, the Dutch use 50% DMSO cream topically on the affected area about 3-5 times a day. You can buy DMSO in 99, 70 or 50% preparations. We found that 70% gel will burn and itch at the same time if you use much of it. If you wet the skin first, the 70% seems to be ok. I recently got some 50% liquid DMSO and it doesn't burn at all, and works well for me.

If your doc will prescribe it, you can get ketamine cream for topical application in the States, but I don't think you can get it for oral consumption here.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
    Taimse
    Veteran
    (female)

Taimse HB User

I have gotten DMSO at farm supply store. Just have never used it on myself. I guess it is a good time to try, huh?

Closed Thread