It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• can anyone tell me what neuroton does for crps?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2006, 08:29 AM   #1
    missspeedway2
    (female)

missspeedway2 HB User
    can anyone tell me what neuronton does for crps?

can anyone tell me what neuronton does other then for pain for RSD or CRPS? just wondering what all is in the pill and why so high of a dose a day?

thank you Doris

Last edited by missspeedway2; 01-05-2006 at 09:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
    Gaollan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gaollan HB UserGaollan HB UserGaollan HB User
    Re: can anyone tell me what neuroton does for crps?

Neurontin is also known as Gabapentin. It's purpose is supposed to help nerve pain, prevent allodynia (pain related to otherwise innocuous stimuli, like being poked with a pin), and hyperalgesia (exaggerated response to painful stimuli). Also for epilepsy.

All the pill has in it is the Gabapentin and the other inert ingredients they put in pills, like food coloring, etc.

The dose can get quite high because of needing to up the dose for it to be effective and if someone has been on it awhile then a doctor will up the dosage because it begins to become ineffective at the current dose. The body becomes used to it and a person needs to take more to gain the benefit from it again.

Hope this helps you.

Karen

Old 01-06-2006, 04:16 AM   #3
    missspeedway2
    (female)

missspeedway2 HB User

hi karen,
    Thank you so much for the info, now i know all it does is help with pain, I thought maybe there might be like arthristis medicine in there too, see my doc put me on that and wants to work me up to 1500 MG's a day well my pain is not that bad to where i need that, it used to be but not now I would get alot of pain from the swelling when i would swell up at night mostley but i don't even do that anymore, see i had my left foot pushed up under a car seat comming back from a nascar race last Aug. and my foot was crushed really bad no broken bones just bad contusions, then it turned into CRPS. I go for nerve blocks this month and I know that will help out alot.

thank you again and TC
    Doris

Old 01-06-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Doris! There are different dosages and doctor's that prescribe neurontin for nerve pain, but they are not approved for RSD. Pfizer the drug company got slapped with the 2nd biggest lawsuit for promoting a drug for off label uses. It was only approved for shingles and in cojunction with seizure medication. If you read some past posts, some ave good luck , but many do not. I felt like I was drunk 24/7. I walked into more walls, slurred my voice when I talked, and was so depressed I could care if I lived or died. I nicknamed the drug Ne ROTTEN! . For some on the board, they had alot of weight gain as well, but I have a high metabolizim. Different meds work different for different people, and I along with 8 others in my support group could not tolerate that drug. So read the side effects, & if you know of any of them you have, talk to your doctor. Call Phizer up yourself and ask them if it is approved for RSD/CRPS!
    I guess now they came out with a new drug called Lyrica, which is similar, but due to my daughter's 4th collapsed lung this year, I haven't been around much. I don't want to see that hospital at all this year! I don't know whom it killed more--her or me! Hope this helps--Aloha Skooze

Last edited by Skooze; 01-06-2006 at 06:52 PM.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
    Gaollan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gaollan HB UserGaollan HB UserGaollan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by missspeedway2
    hi karen,
    Thank you so much for the info, now i know all it does is help with pain, I thought maybe there might be like arthristis medicine in there too, see my doc put me on that and wants to work me up to 1500 MG's a day well my pain is not that bad to where i need that, it used to be but not now I would get alot of pain from the swelling when i would swell up at night mostley but i don't even do that anymore, see i had my left foot pushed up under a car seat comming back from a nascar race last Aug. and my foot was crushed really bad no broken bones just bad contusions, then it turned into CRPS. I go for nerve blocks this month and I know that will help out alot.

thank you again and TC
    Doris
    You're welcome. All I can say is OUCH!! Sounds like there should have been something broken, but thank goodness there wasn't. Then again, you don't need a break to get this crap. I really hope that the blocks will help you.

Maybe you should ask your doctor why he wants to put you on so high a dose. See what he says and you can always tell him that you are more comfortable with a lower dosage and see no reason to go that high. You do need to be careful of side effects though. My friend was up to 2400 + mgs a day and she had blurry vision. She couldn't see well at all. I had done research on the side effects and told her she needed to get off Neurontin. Within a few weeks her doctor began to wean her off. When she was almost off of it her vision cleared up and she now has 20/20 vision again.

For me, Neurontin gave me HORRID mood swings. I was truly Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde.

Karen

Old 01-07-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
    missspeedway2
    (female)

missspeedway2 HB User

hi everyone,
    thank you again for that bit of info, I started taking the neurontin only 1 pill at night but on the 3rd day I got up had 2 cups of coffee and went for a 3rd cup of coffee and i was so dizzie i couldn't stand it and that was only 3 nights of taking 1 pill each night, so i told my hubby i am not taking that no more!

HUGS
    Doris

Old 01-22-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
    NeverEnough06

NeverEnough06 HB User

Galena!!! I am allergic to that crap too. I have told my psych' and all he says is to decrease the mg. Well, I do not take that mess anymore--instead I have ended up an addict--to hydro. Going to meth clinic this week.
    Truly that med would make me cry, want to die, feel depressed and then one day it might make me sing, act silly , laugh way too much and feel high as a kite. I never knew what was going to happen. I have scared a couple of my caregivers, when they saw how it affected me. But, my pain was gone--but it was not worth the torture.
    I do not think the FDA has actually approved that drug for pain yet, have they??--J

Old 01-28-2006, 05:45 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

The thing about neurontin and all the other anti siezure meds that various docs use to try and treat nerve related pain and neuro conditions,is that they will definitely work diferently on different people.now when I was taking neurontin,i felt absolutely no side effects what so ever,i never felt tired or spacey or anything,it was almost like just taking a vitamin for me.But,whenI was finally titrated up to 3600(this was over a two year period)wow,i got blurry vision and just kinda felt crappy all the time.when I was started at my pain clinic,the first thing my PM did was take me off the neurontin and placed me on Gabitril,which is just a much purer form of GABA,the same thing that is in neurontin.well,this WAs totally a differnt ballgame.I was a zombie,even just on the lowest dose.i ended up changing almost all my daily dose to just before bed and what a great nights sleep I get now.i do feel this does help with my RSD and central pain syndrome(which is just as hidious and nasty as the RSD pain)there are many different anti Ss out there you can try to see if one of them may work for you without all the side effects you are getting from the neurontin.bythe way,your starting dose is wayy too high.You need to start low and then slowly taper up over time.too much too fast WILL cause the side effects you are having.

The actual theory behind using the anti Ss for inflammed nerve pain is the same as the reason for preventing siezures,it just calms down the inflamation that triggers siezure activity and also will calm down the nevres that cause the neuro type of pain.these meds DO work well for some people but unfortunetly,not on others.but they do work really well if you can find the one that is most compatable.I would not toally give up on them yet.good pain control as most people know,is a long plan of trial and error.treating the types of pain that stem from the RSD and also central pain syndrome are extremely hard to treat,as all of you know.for such totally out of the box type of pain,the treatments will also have to be a bit out of the box as well.it is just the nature of what we are having to unfortunetly deal with.do some research on the other possible anti s options availiable and discuss them with your doc.these really ARE one of the best pain control meds for this type of pain and adding them to your "cocktail' of other meds can really make a big difference.unfortunetly,this will all take some time.but it IS worth the effort.just don't totally give up on a good class of meds because of one experience with one particular med,thats all.I really DO hope you canfind something that will work for you and not turn your life upside down.Marcia

Old 02-01-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User

I tried neurontin for nerve pain. I got up to 1800 mg/day with no effect whatsoever on my nerve pain, but the side effects were horrendous and withdrawal equally so.

After much trepidation (because it is a newer medication and variation of neurontin - although different molecule whatever that means), I've started trying Lyrica. It's specifically intended for pain and supposed to have fewer side effects because you don't need as big a dose. So far I think it's actually been helping and best of all I haven't noticed any side effects yet (it's only been a week though). Perhaps others have found this more helpful than Neurontin?

Old 02-02-2006, 05:49 AM   #10
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

linda,so glad you actually found something that may be making an impact on your pain.I have seen alot about this particular med pop up on quite a few of the different boards here and everyone seems to be having at least some sort of a positive result with it.i too have been comtemplating a change to this too.please keep me posted on how things go with this will ya?again,I am happy for ya.Marcia

Old 02-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #11
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Marcia!
    That was a very good explanation on the seziure meds. I am impressed. What you did is let others see, that diffferent drugs work on different people, but you explained why. I never knew--or thought about the seizure meds and the RSD being linked in that way, but it does make sense. I've never heard of Gabitril, but I could see doing a low dose at bedtime to help you sleep, if it worked.
    Another good point that you brought up--AND I think this is very important for all of us--is that the doctor's tend to increase our doses way to quick. Our body never has time to adjust to the med. This is not about seizure meds in particular--but all meds in general. I myself am finding that the drug I miss the most and notice the most missing is my Soma. If I don't take it as prescribed, and they look so much like my percs for breakthrough, that my digits--yes all hands and toes become NUMB! No amt. of pain med can calm down the pain once it starts, just time. But thank you for pointing out the reason they try to prescibe seizure meds for RSD pain. I just had such bad, rather horrible results, kinda like a person allergic to seafood, that I don't think they could pay me to take one again. But I have an open mind, and will see how others fare. That's why I posted the thread is Lyrica better than Neurontin! Take care Aloha Skooze Aloha Skooze

Closed Thread