It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• dx with r.s.d. in my right hand

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
    betty murphy
    (female)

betty murphy HB User
    dx with r.s.d. in my right hand

last august i fell and broke my right wrist the moment i did it i knew their was something wrong with my hand besides being swollen it didn't look like mine
    i had a cast on for 3 weeks then another 4 weeks the swelling in my hand never went down my hand certainly did not look like mine, i then went to ot 3 times a week into the second week the pain was so bad and my hand started to change colours and temp. i asked the therapist if this was r.s.d. i went back to the ortho Dr., and he confirmed it in DEC. i started with skelton injection i had 4 of them 2 with the solucortex in which i broke out with a bad case of the hives even with benadryl before the second dose have more play in my fingers now but still cant make a fist or bend my fingers they hurt all the time some days more then others depends on what I'm doing i not return back to work I'm an LPN nurse on a busy med/surg floor .my ortho Dr. wants me to give it a year he has seen it come back does anyone have any info on this part of me is afraid of further injury to my right hand would like any comments,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
    Tryin2BPOZ
    (female)

Tryin2BPOZ HB User
    Re: dx with r.s.d. in my right hand

Hi Betty,
    I am sorry to hear what happened to you. I was hurt on my right hand also and it has been no picnic. My story is...I was working, I am a bartender and one night a guy walked into my bar and threw a beer bottle at another guy which shattered on top of the bar and the glass fragments came my way and cut my extensor tendon on the back of my hand to the bone. (This was October 23rd 2005) I should have started to heal, but I had incredible pain still in December and my ortho suggested that I had RSD. I naturally broke down and cried for days, I had never even heard of such a thing! He believed that the onset of the trauma caused the reaction. Anyway, I have been in PT, 3 times a week since the accident and it has helped me tremendously. I can finally get my hand into almost a full fist and can almost fully straighten it. I still have pain, but not as much. I am still stiff, especially in the morning but not as much as before. I am on Celebrex 200mg 1 tablet a day and Topamax 75 mg (3 pills a day before going to bed). I had 4 stellate ganglion blocks in the first couple of mos. of RSD that I think helped to attack the disease early. What has really helped me though is swimming. I try to swim about 3 to 4 times a week which relieves pain. Also walking on the treadmill helps. I have started back to work a few weeks ago which I think has helped, because I have found that with RSD, you have to keep on moving. I think there is some light at the end of the tunnel as long as you work at it. This is a difficult disease and is different in everyone, but I have noticed that exercise really helps. Hope this info helps!
    GOD BLESS!

Old 04-19-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
    aicirtapo
    (female)

aicirtapo HB User

Hello: I have been pushing the benefits of water therapy on this site for a couple of years. I am so happy to find someone else who has benefited as much as i have. It proves to me that others could also benefit. It takes a lot of time to attend a pool three times a week but my knee feels so much better after and the benefits are cumulative. I hope you too will keep tell people on this site that they must keep moving and not let the RSD settle in and spread. Muscle tone must be kept. Hard at first but so important. I hope Betty takes our comments serious and gets into the water. Laura.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
    aicirtapo
    (female)

aicirtapo HB User

A quick note - read a study today that shows that people who take Celebrex will help prevent blood clots if they take a coated 81 gr. aspirin a day. When the studies came out that showed Celebrex might cause people to get blood clots and have a stroke (mainly tested on elderly) my doctor wondered out loud why they did not recommend an aspirin as they do with people who have had mild strokes. He suggested i try it and i have been doing so ever since. Now there is a study that shows less clotting factor and less tendency to increased blood pressure if you are on Celebrex and also take a 81 gr aspirin a day.

Old 04-29-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
    ahaef928
    (female)

ahaef928 HB User

I have to jump on the bandwagon and say, too, that swimming helped my RSD tremendously. Broke my left wrist and got RSD probably from the trauma. Was jogging in the pool and moving my arms as much as I could even while the cast was still on, and continued swimming 5 days a week after the cast was off. My aquatic physical therapist said that probably really made a difference in my recovery. I haven't had any shots or taken any pain medication. I went to physical therapy 3 times a week for several months while doing a home program 24/7 literally. Also, received chiropractic care 2 to 3 times per week which included acupressure, acupuncture once a week, supplements including coral calcium, wore a copper magnetic bracelet, hot/cold water immersion on my hand, used a unit similar to a TENS unit, cranial-sacral massage, and nutrition aimed at nerve healing. I am going on a year since the injury, and the only thing I continue to work on is getting full range of motion in my wrist downward.

The Following User Says Thank You to ahaef928 For This Useful Post:
    Grace and Peace (06-21-2011)
    Old 04-30-2006, 05:25 AM   #6
    Scrufysdad
    (male)

Scrufysdad HB User

I have been in water therepy for about 4 months. Unfortunetly for me I have found it doesn't help. It is not my hand that is effected, but my foot. It hurts to kick, walk and stand even in the pool. One quick response to the medication Celebrex. I too was on it about 4 months taking it twice daily averaging 400mg daily. I found it was a godsend for me, reducing my pain and swelling. The only bad thing about Celebrex is that it is not good for your liver. You all have been talking about blood clots, but what about your liver? My dr stated that long term use could kill it and he didn't want another problem added to the list. So hence, I was weened off it. This is something everyone should inquire about.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:10 AM   #7
    aicirtapo
    (female)

aicirtapo HB User

I talked to my doctor about possible liver problems with all the drugs I am taking and although neither of us like drugs, we both know that I am on the minimum dosage for the problems, Celebrex 300 mg per day, Lyrica 150 mg, Clonazepam 3 mg and Neurontin 300 mg. If I did not take the drugs to kill the pain, I would ultimately be on a lot of anti-depressants as the pain and having to stay home would put me into a deep depression I am sure. As it is my life has changed a great deal but I have learned to live with the things I have had to give up and try to develop new interests that do not require a lot of standing or walking. All the studies of Celebrex that caused the blood clot problems were with people on 400 - 800 mg and most had previous problems. As long as I am at 300 and take a baby aspirin a day, he does not think it will cause me problems. Anyone on a lot of drugs over an extended period of time should get their liver function tested. Mine is fine and I have been on various drugs for 8 years. Laura

Closed Thread