It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Has anyone tried Ambien

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
    Scrufysdad
    (male)

Scrufysdad HB User
    Has anyone tried Ambien

With all of us not sleeping to well, i was wondering if any of your drs have prescribed Ambien for sleep. If so, has it helped you or hurt you? My dr gave me Elavil. Okay, so it knocked me out for the first three nights then all of sudden nothing! I am up every hour and no rest. So I would appreciate your input cause I see the dr on Monday.

Thanks,
    ben

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
    Gaollan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gaollan HB UserGaollan HB UserGaollan HB User
    Re: Has anyone tried Ambien

I was on ambien for awhile. It was so nice to get some sleep, restful sleep at that! I went online and looked up the warnings and all on it. You're not supposed to take it for more than 7 days or you could suffer from withdrawl symptoms that I take it are not at all pleasant! So, I would take it for 4 or 5 nights and then not take it for about a week or so. I took tylenol pm's or nighttime sleep aid that has no extra medicine in it at all. After a few months though it quit working and I was having to take 2 of them. I finally just stopped altogether because I didn't feel safe taking them like that and it wasn't working any longer.

I've heard that lunesta is better because it is specifically for long term and there's also another one that a friend of mine takes she says is fantastic. She has rsd too and loves it. I've only seen the commercial a couple of times...it starts with an R, something like remeron or remera......grrrrrr, hate when I can't think of it! If I do, I'll come back.

Those are my suggestions that seem safer than ambien.

Karen

Old 09-17-2006, 05:03 AM   #3
    cblasingame
    (female)

cblasingame HB User

rozerom is what your thinking of, although remeron is what i take...its an anti-depressant and it also knocks me out lol. I aslo take ambiem cr on occasion when i really cant sleep. the "cr" is important because its the new version on the market and it is made specifically for those who have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep ( it has 2 different meds in it). My pmd doesnt have a problem giving it to me...never said anyting about more than 5 days use....hope this helps...C

Old 09-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
    cattys
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cattys HB User

Hi

I was on ambien for a while woke every couple hours then tried ambien cr then did things that I didn't remember next day. I tried Lunesta did not help. tried sonata last week did nothing for me. dr tried me on ativan didnt help.

I currently take doxepin and zanaflex before bed and nothing seems to put me into a deep sleep my body just will not shut down any more. That is why my dr wants to do a sleep study on me to see what is going on. I take topamax during the day and cymbalta.

what I would give to get a good night sleep.

cattys

Old 09-17-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
    dlauren
    (female)

dlauren HB User

i took ambien for 2 years.. LOVED IT!!! the only thing tho, i was not addicted to it but after taking to help you sleep for so long that when i didnt have it well it was hard to sleep again.. so either way... if i had it i slept and if i didnt well i didnt sleep..but now 8 years later i still have problems sleeping and havent taken it in years so i am going back to the doctor to get it again..i am tired of the restless nights...but i wont take the cr because it is timed release and i dont want to wake feeling groggy but the other i know it will put me to sleep and i will sleep for a couple of hours good but then am up..i feel like i rested well but 3 to 4 hours of sleep is just not enough.. but like i said i am not willing to try the other and be groggy all day.. so best of luck to you...

Old 09-18-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
    dee_navymom
    (female)

dee_navymom HB User

Ben...I take Ambien 10mg. It does help me...but not all the time. I can sleep 4 to 6 hours. I will take any sleep I can get. There are times when the Ambien doesn't work. Who knows...RSD has a mind of it's own. I sure hope you get some sleep. Take Care, Dee

Old 09-18-2006, 10:11 AM   #7
    Kat3441
    (female)

Kat3441 HB User

I have taken ambien 10mg, it worked really well for a month and then a had to stop because I was left drowsy during the day. Then I would take it again after a week and be fine again. Due to that I stopped alltogether. My mother who has taken ambien 5mg actually sleepwalks with it. Everyone is different.

I haven't taken Lunesta, but a friend of mine has she says it works great except for the taste in your mouth. She catergorized as a lead pipe. This is why I never went on this medication.

As for remron or mirtazipine (generic), it works great. There is a side effect that I hated on this medication. I started to gain weight. This wasn't an option for me. Because of this medication my Dr. decided to put me back on Topomax to offset the weight gain and the rsd. I decided not to take the remron.

I hope I was able to help.

Kat

Old 09-21-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi everyone!

I was on Ambien and it made me crazy I was so hyper from that drug, that 2 hours after taking it I was up pacing the floor. A neighbor of mine (who doesn't have RSD) said the same thing happened to her. It has the same side effect that smoking some herb does to me. Can't eat, sleep or shut up.

It waqs interesting reading about Ambien though, especially the CR part. I am a frim believer in Remeron, and I am one of the ones trying to put on weight. Sometimes I fall asleep without taking my remeron and soma, and wake up 5 hours later and at 2 am it's a tough call. But I take them both even though I'm out of it when I get up. I've tried not doing it and watching old movies all night long before dozing off at 5 am. Sleep is everything I just guess everybody's body is different. For those of you who can't sleep I pray you find a way. Has anyone tried listening to ocean music while relaxing in a dark room. That helped me at first. Aloha Skooze

Old 11-24-2006, 11:10 PM   #9
    aicirtapo
    (female)

aicirtapo HB User

I had problems falling asleep before I got RSD from car accident. I took Dalmane (spelling) but new doctor in l998 did not like that drug because of addictive nature and put me on Restoril or Temazepam. Had trouble switching but did it gradually and now take 30 mg. every night. Cannot fall asleep without, expecially now with the pain, and since I am retired I often sleep in to prevent being loggy, but I exercise in the pool and put in a full day painting and going out in my car so I am happy with it. Have never had to increase it. Tried to stop taking it a couple of times without success. Doctor is pleased. Laura

Old 11-25-2006, 09:13 AM   #10
    mcgriffin
    (female)

mcgriffin HB User

I was lucky to get 3-4 hrs (interrupted ) per night . 3 wks ago started taking Zanaflex 4mg (muscle relaxer ) and 12mg ambien cr - now Im sleeping about 6 hrs. straight thru ( Heaven ) neither one work alone . Just proves how different we all are !Robbin

Last edited by mcgriffin; 11-25-2006 at 09:14 AM.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Robbin!

I too find taking the muscle relaxer at bedtime with the sleeping pill is much more effective. My friend taught me that trick. I'm happy that you are getting 6 hours now It makes all the difference doesn't it?? The tricky part is if your tired in the day, to take only a short nap of 30 minutea, and make sure some one wakes you up. Otherwise you get back into that rut. Aloha Skooze

Closed Thread