It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Does RSD burn out?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
    digitaldiva
    (female)

digitaldiva HB User
    Does RSD burn out?

Hi everyone! Just want to say I've found these boards so helpful.
    I'll give you some background on my RSD story.
    I had been having trouble with my right hand and was diagnosed with Trigger Finger. The Dr explained it was a minor surgery and I would be as good as new in four weeks. I went ahead and had the operation. I saw the Surgeon five weeks later and he took one look at my hand and told me I had RSD. My hand was actually purple and of course swollen and throbbing. I assumed it wasn't good news when he said "Whoa we don't see that very often"
    Just wondering if any one else out there contracted their RSD from a surgery.
    Since November when I had the surgery I've been to therapy with little success. I've heard from some Dr's that RSD burns it self out. Any one have any information please let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
    Gaollan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gaollan HB UserGaollan HB UserGaollan HB User
    Re: Does RSD burn out?

Sorry to hear you've gotten this. RSD does not burn itself out. The ones who say that don't know much about RSD and it's just wishful thinking. It can go into remission if you get treatment very early on, like blocks. They can be helpful but there is no guarantee that it works. They do help with the pain for some people, do nothing for others and in my case, made things worse.

Therapy is good, as long as it's gentle. You have to use the limb as much as possible so it doesn't atrophy or freeze to where you can't move or use it. No ice! That usually ups the pain level and can facilitate spreading. Though the ones with hot rsd, cool things help them. I suppose because their limb is already hot and heat would hurt. I have cold rsd so heat helps some but after over 3 years though my hands, feet and legs feel really cold, even heat is bothersome at times now.

You need to find a good pain management doctor and see what can be done to help you.

I didn't get my rsd from surgery though I think there are some on the board who did. I slammed my knee into a broken handle at work and went full body in 11 months.
    Karen

Old 10-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
    digitaldiva
    (female)

digitaldiva HB User

Thanks for the reply.
    I'll ask again. Has anyone contracted RSD from a hand surgery?
    My surgeon says it can burn out, it may take up to two years though.
    The research I've done all says once you have it, even if you are lucky enough to go into remission you've got it forever.
    Why all the contradicting information!!! I just want someone to be honest to me. If anyone can help me with honest information, unlike the Dr's are telling me please respond.

Thanks

Old 10-26-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile Re: Does RSD burn out?

Hi,

I didn't get RSD from a hand surgery, but I originally got it from a foot fracture and then it worsened after knee surgery (didn't know I had RSD before I had the surgery). Anyway, I've had RSD for 20 years and I was also told that it would go away...my doctor kept telling me he didn't know of anyone who had it for more than ten years. Needless to say, he now does. Good luck.

Sharon

Old 10-30-2006, 05:30 AM   #5
    Martijo
    (female)

Martijo HB User
    Unhappy Re: Does RSD burn out?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitaldiva
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'll ask again. Has anyone contracted RSD from a hand surgery?
    My surgeon says it can burn out, it may take up to two years though.
    The research I've done all says once you have it, even if you are lucky enough to go into remission you've got it forever.
    Why all the contradicting information!!! I just want someone to be honest to me. If anyone can help me with honest information, unlike the Dr's are telling me please respond.

Thanks
    DigitalDiva... I came down with RSD, from hand surgery. Your doctor isnt telling you correctly that RSD "Will burn itself out" not true. Your RSD, can go into remission that's all. If your RSD goes into remission it could show up from a simple "Bump" to your hand.. and maybe even a simple bump to your toe, might make your RSD show up in your foot. This is how it was explained to me from a Doctor.

I had Carpal Tunnel, surgery on November 11 2004.. I knew right away there was something wrong. My hand did nothing but burn, swell, turned purple then bright red I couldnt stand anything touching it. I had hand theraphy, etc.. then the Doctor wanted a block done. I only had one block and after the first block, it turned to full body!

I wish we could post photos on here... but your asking if anyone came down with RSD from hand surgery... I did!!!

Last edited by Martijo; 10-30-2006 at 05:39 AM.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Digitaldiva and MartiJo!

Welcome to the boards. Boy it's good to see that we are seeing new faes here everyday! Amazing, when you think about it, how many of us there really are out there. Scary, actually

Anyhow, I like Sharon, had RSD before I had my neck surgery. My dr.s feared it was RSD, but never told me hoping the surgery would cure it. But it only made it worse. I don't think I will never have another surgery again. The two don't mix. Wow MartiJo sorry to hear what the bloc did to you. I will never forget my 2 blocks, tht were ordered 2 years too late. I screamed so loud, I think that I even woke the dead up in the morgue, lol. Full body is hard. I consider myself 3/4, although who knows it still could get my only good foot. Aloha Skooze

Closed Thread