It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Swelling in Legs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
    KBinNC
    (male)

KBinNC HB User
    Swelling in Legs

I have had RSD in my right knee for over a year now. For the last couple of months i have had swelling in my lower legs, more so in my good leg than in my rsd one. If i put my legs up at night the swelling seems to go down by morning.I feel as though i use the bathroom regularly as the Pharmacist has told me it could be from urine retention from my meds (160mg Oxycontin a day plus Oxy Ir ).It did seem to start about a month after my doc put me on 2 80mg oxy's a day. The thing is though is about 30 min. after i put my legs up i use the bathroom an then it seems like every 30 min. after till i go to sleep an i can loose as much as 5 lbs over night but then put as much as 5 lbs back on the next day. My doctor dos'nt think its from the RSD but has no idea what it is from. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas or have the same problem. My doctor has said other things i have going on is not because of RSD but then i get on here an find out different..........Thanks for any help..KB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User
    Re: Swelling in Legs

it could be your lymphatic system. you can have a lymphatic system drain, which may help. i do believe this can be a symptom of RSD.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi KB and first welcome to the boards!

I'm on 180 mgs of MsCotin, and get up often to use the bathroom. Never thought much about it until you said something. The swelling in your good leg could be because you put more weight on it, to avoid the pain in dominate RSD leg. My RSD is in my upper left extremity, however when it spread to my lower leg, I walked with a limp. My dr's called it compensation.

Msswank, are you a former nurse?? I mean that as a compliment, because you give better medical advice than most dr's. You kinda remind of the show House, which I just love. Do you have any medical background? If not you bring a wonderful knowlege base to this board. Cheers. Aloha Skooze

Old 11-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
    tame the flame
    (female)

tame the flame HB User

Hi KB welcome to the Health Boards, I too have had RSD in my Right knee for the past 4 yrs but for the past yr now my right leg and foot has swelled so bad and discolored, I'm on Oxycontin so I really can't help there also my back and hip is so bad with my RSD it's so pain to put my leg up for too long of a time to tell much of a difference..I do use the bathroom several times a night but I'm sure not loosing any weight my meds make sure I stay well over 200 pounds and I'm not a over eater! Hope you can find your answers and again welcome to the boards
    eunie

Old 11-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
    tame the flame
    (female)

tame the flame HB User

Hi KB welcome to the Health Boards, I too have had RSD in my Right knee for the past 4 yrs but for the past yr now my right leg and foot has swelled so bad and discolored, I'm on Oxycontin so I really can't help there also my back and hip is so bad with my RSD it's so pain to put my leg up for too long of a time to tell much of a difference..I do use the bathroom several times a night but I'm sure not loosing any weight my meds make sure I stay well over 200 pounds and I'm not a over eater! Hope you can find your answers and again welcome to the boards
    eunie

Old 11-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

thanks for the compliment. i was pre-med in college and worked as a nurses aid through college. then, right before i was to start medical school, i was told i would never have a baby if i didn't try then (or else need IVF), so we decided to have a baby first. i planned on going when she started preschool, buT

whoops! see post below. baby hit send!

Last edited by msswank95; 11-02-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

DANG IT! my son made me lose my post!

anyways, thanks, skooze, for the compliment. anyway, yes, i have a medical background. i was pre-med and about to start med school when doctors said i needed to try then for a baby or else i might not ever be able to have one due to some other health problems, so we decided to try and got pregnant right away with baby girl #1. i planned on going to med school when she started preschool, but when she was 9 months old i got pregnant with twins, who were born two months early, one with a severe birth defect. well, that made me reassess life and i decided to stay home and then i decided to homeschool!

in the mean time, after i quit my nursing assistant job (see above post), i started my own medical transcription company and had many clients in different medical fields. you really have to learn the speciality, all the procedures, all the meds, everything, so if a doctor talks too fast or makes a little mistake you can catch it and call them on it (flag it) and edit accordingly. at one time, i had nearly 20 doctors, most out of referrals to each other because they thought i did such a great job! some i had to turn down because i didn't have enough help to cover it. i even had one refer me to a national medical management guy who covered nearly 12,000 doctors wanting me to take them on. nice dream! but i told him that if i was going to create a major corporation, i might as well just go back to med school. i wanted to have time for my kids!

anyways, that is my story. i had to shut down that business due to my spinal cord injury (botched epidural with my last child - my son, who is 2) that then turned into the RSD. it was hard. at first i just started having to let clients go one by one and then having to let employees go (which was even harder) and eventually i just had to shut it down. i didn't have enough work to necessitate an employee and i couldn't do it myself any longer.

Last edited by msswank95; 11-02-2006 at 03:35 PM.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

interesting about the frequent urination. i have that, too. i wonder if that is the RSD or the opioids?

Old 11-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #9
    KBinNC
    (male)

KBinNC HB User

When i said SWELLING, what i ment was FLUID RETENTION. At times i have pitting BAD, mostly at night an like i said when i put my legs up on some pillows for the night it goes down. I have had my legs up alot the last 2 days an have been going to the bathroom like crazy an the fluid is about gone. I had seen a post way back in 2003 that said they also had fluid retention in there lower legs an i think one of them was like me where the fluid was worse in their good leg like mine is. I have noticed over the last few days that a few hours after i take my oxy that when i use the bathroom i have trouble getting started but then i'm able to go. When i put my legs up i don't have that problem , it's all i can do to get to the bathroom in time. So i was wondering if this could be from urinary retention from the meds or is fluid retention a part of RSD.............As i was about to write this my daughter came to me worried about me as her EX-boyfriend had fluid retention in his lower legs for about the last month, he unlike me also had it in his back. she had just found out that he is in the hospital with a blood clot in his kidney. I also found out why he is no longer her boyfriend as she told me he was addicted to pain pills. I found comfort in finding out she was smart enough to dump this pill head an told her it was because of people like him that made it hard for people like me(us) to get the pain meds we need to make it through the day. I also assured her that dad has to take pain meds because he has to not because he wants too. Sorry for going on an on but hearing about him kind of made me wonder if it could be the meds or what, my doc says no but i would like to know what ya'll think......... MEDS, RSD OR SOMETHING ELSE.................thanks KB

Closed Thread