It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• What is Lyrica and is it better than Neurotin???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User
    Re: What is Lyrica and is better than Neurotin???

am i the only one unable to take this? i had heart issues with it (and with neurontin) - strange heart flutters, racing heart, chest pain, and headaches.

have any of you read the entire patient info sheet. it can potentially cause birth defects, even on the male side, and many of the side effects are the same as neurontin. as with any drug, it should be thoroughly researched and you have to be careful with new classes of drugs. i don't think things are tested long enough sometimes and it is only after thousands of people have taken it do they realize there is a problem with it. so that it is so new worries me. after i had my side effects, i looked at the patient info sheet more carefully (the one that is in the PDR and in the box - not just the quick read sheet, the long one), and it just made me nervous thinking about the problems it can cause.

anyways, i had a sample from a doc so i tried it and right away had problems. so wanted to say i, for one, can't take it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

Mss,

I think ALL prescription drugs will have adverse effects on your body. The only thing I look for is whether this drug will improve the quality of my life or reduce the pathology of something that is wrong with me, such as lowering cholesterol or high blood pressure.

I at first try natural ways of achieving this. But for many the trade off of the prescription drug's side effects outweigh the advantages. This is a choice everyone has to make for themselves.

As for me, my trade off with Lyrica is can I take it at night, deal with the tiredness it causes me at times as a trade-off for the pain relief it gives me... My decision is Yes.... I can deal with some of the side effects of Lyrica as a trade off for pain relief.

As for longterm effects... I am 55 and not looking to have more children (thank God... lol) and if it is something that won't affect me until 30 years later, if I don't get my pain levels lowered now, something else in my body is going to give out from such high pain levels before 30 years are over... lol

Lyrica is not a well tolerated drug, like many of the drugs used to treat high levels of pain and nerve pain. However, I have heard wonderous things from people who do take it for nerve pain. That's the pain I'm taking it for. That burning, searing hot pain that is difficult to treat, even with narcotics. Thankfully, I can take the low dose 50mg or 100 mg a day and have it help.

Maybe you can try the low dose and the side effects won't bother you so much.

I hope you find some relief soon.

Barb

Old 10-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

my cardiologist absolutely won't let me try it again. i had samples of the lowest dose and had horrible cardiologic side effects, not to mention being tired and dizzy and basically nonfunctional with four small children.

Last edited by msswank95; 10-28-2006 at 06:59 PM.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
    sweet p
    (female)

sweet p HB User

Hi to everyone,
    been reading to post on lyrica. my pm dr gave me lyrica in april of this year. he wanted me to try it for 2 wks. i had no noticable side effects except i was extremely tired but i stay like that alot anyway. the thing is it did not help the burning pain at all. after reading these post i wonder if my dose was to small. i was taking 75 mg 2x a day. after this did not work he said the only other drug to try was the nutrotten (?) and i had read so much on this i would not try it. he did a nerve block on 9/22 and the only thing it did was run my blood pressure up. i go back wednesday and he is gonna want me to have a nerve stimulator put in. unsure about this. i am not wc so it is all up to me. does anyone have any advice.
    have a great night or whats left of it
    sweet p

Old 10-29-2006, 06:26 AM   #5
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

eeeek - I can understand why you don't want anything else causing you tiredness. With four small children, you are probably tired already.

You didn't say why the Lyrica was prescribed for you. It's used mainly to treat nerve pain. I hope your pain isn't very high Mss. There is no way I could manage four small children with the pain levels I have. I often get sad because I am limited at how long I can manage taking care of my 18 month old grandson.

Hope you find relief from whatever ails you soon.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

the pain level varies from day to day, but with cold fronts and bad weather around here lately it has been much, much worse. i am on 75 mcg of fentanyl (patch that doesn't stick well :x ) and 5-10 mg of oxycodone for BT (or 10 mg of hydrocodone, but that hasn't done much for me lately). even with taking all of it, i am in a great deal of pain. the kids are so sweet and always pray for me and say such sweet things, are always bringing me water, asking if i need something, telling me not to do something or i'll get hurt, to let them do it (can you imagine such sweet kids?)! i love them dearly and they are great. of course, my 2-year-old son doesn't understand yet, but he is sweet as can be, except when he climbs all over my legs, but he doesn't know! but my kids are my ultimate joy.

i do have RSD, so obviously it was prescribed for the nerve pain associated with that, as well as nerve pain in my back from where all this originated - a botched epidural.

today was a horrible day. the only thing, outside of my kids, that gives me joy is singing and music (oh, and reading). i was able to make it to choir rehearsal wednesday and did okay and my director asked if i would be up to a solo, so i said sure - it gave me something to look forward to and be motivated for and feel good about. right before i went in front of the mic this morning the nasty RSD demon decided to drive screwdrivers through my leg that were on fire. :X i couldn't concentrate, but luckily i knew the song. i don't know how i made it through. i was mad at God first because i thought he knew i needed to do that - one of my few joys outside of my kids - and to have that happen then! i was sure i had done poorly. i had to sit down after that and couldn't stop crying i was in so much pain and was so angry. afterwards several people stopped me to tell me how beautiful it sounded and how great i did and how happy they were that i did it. i guess i shouldn't be mad at God - he pulled me through that song alone. i know he did. i could not have sung by myself in that degree of pain. most days, unfortunately, i can't go to church these days - it is just too hard being out so long and the driving is awful. but i made it today and i am happy for that.

anyway, sorry for rambling.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #7
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Msswank

I'm glad that God pulled thru for you and you were able to sing your heart out. He does look after us in most ways. And your four kids sounds like angels. Was the epidural from your birth of your last child? That would be a horrible way to get RSD although any reason to get RSD is horrible . I got mine from a work accident.

What ever you do don't take the neuortin. I nicknanmed it NeRotten.
    My dr. just gave me a sample of Lyrica to try, but told me not to get my hopes u, because her other patients with nerve pain have not had any success with it. I currently am her only RSD patient, but she has treated others with this monster in the past. I tried taking it one day and all I wanted to do was sleep. ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. Reminded me of NeRotten all over again. I never thought to try taking it at night only as the weaver suggested. I still have alot of burning pain. That might be worth a try, to help at night time. But I would hate to wake up all groggy. Weaver does this happen? My dad called me this week, and his wife who has had alot of pain from a boat accident, is on Lyrica and percocets only and he says all she does is sleep, and she has put on 50 pounds since being on this drug for 4 months. I could use the weight, but I 'd hate to have to go buy new clothes.

I'm sorry the patch isn't helping you. Have you discussed this with your dr.? I know it doesn't help to go in and ask for drugs, but I took in a book on RSD to my dr., and highlighted the meds in it, It recommended extended release morphine for relieving the pain, with oxycodone for breaththru pain. She started me out at 10 mg. of MsCotin 3 times a day and now I'm up to 60 mg. 3 times a day. It also suggested making a contract with your dr. so that you don't abuse your pain medication. Alos with small children, I would advise keeping your meds in a safe. I bought one because my teenage daughter at the time, broke into my room and stole half my meds and traded them for buds. A safe ended that habit real quick, but you'd hate for your kids to accidently take one. But at least I now have somewhat of a life in stead of laying in bed all day racked with so much pain, I couldn't even get up to eat. Food even lost it's taste. I dropped down to 98 pounds, I was in sooooo much pain, I couldn't even drive. So before you get to that point, maybe try this Approach. I hope this helps and good luck. Aloha Skooze

Old 10-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #8
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

Dear Skooze and Mss,

I have not been diagnosed with RSD, but my pain management doctor suggested I might have something similar called something like Central Pain Nerve Disorder... can't remember exact wording.

It is similar to RSD in that it happens when chronic pain isn't treated for a long period of time. In my case it was about 2 years. Doctors never gave me enough pain meds to lower the pain caused by first a bone spur and tear in my shoulder, then a surgery after 2 years to fix it. My high pain levels continued and I even had second shoulder surgery in an attempt to fix some nerve impingement... I wasn't given proper pain management and my current pain doctor said my central nervous system may be stuck in the "on" position and that my body is still reacting to pain stimulus because it's all my body knew for over 2 years.

He has suggested Stellar Ganglion Nerve Blocks to "turn off" my central nervous sytem slowly. It is also a diagnostic. He wants to do 5 or 6 injections through my neck and into my central nerves arouind C5-6. Sounds scary to me...

Right now, my pain is being managed pretty well with methadone and I'm hoping this is a less painful way of turning off my pain receptors. Maybe I can avoid the injections.

Skooze, I do sleep alot also and I think its partly my meth. I take the 50mg of Lyrica at night when my pain levels get high during the day. But take it a couple hours before going to bed. That might prevent the sleepiness in the morning. I can sleep as late as I want so, fortunately, it isnt a problem for me in the morning.

My husband is very undrestanding and since I can sleep as much as I want during the day, he really doesnt see me at my worst. On the weekends, he understands if I don't have the energy to do much, but I still feel my life has been "sucked dry" by the pain I've endured over the past 3 years. Too bad it had to take over 2 years before I found a doctor to treat it properly and it might be too late to reduce it to a desent level.

I know I will need pain meds the rest of my life. Once you have to take narcotics for pain, there is no going back to Excedrin and Tylenol for pain thats for sure... If I can get my pain manageable to Vicodin level I will be thrilled. Although, to tell you the truth, the narcotics I have tried (Oxycontin and Methadone) have been gentler on my system (other than sleepiness) than Vicodin which often caused me stomach pain.

Skooze, try using small doses of Lyrica at night. It does help my burning pain, which fortunately I don't often get until my pain levels are high for long periods of time. I have read where some people can just use Lyrica on an as needed basis for burning pain. You migh want to try that...

Good luck to both of you. Having something to look forward to is a good thing to have in your life Mss. My pain has already taken most of the things I had going on in my life... all my social activities, most of my friends, many of the hobbies I had and even though I love spending time with my grandson, he wears me out quickly and holding him because of a bummed shoulder is difficult. I think having young children gives you more meaning to fight your pain and continue to look for relief. I pray both of you find some degree of pain relief so your life doesnt become like mine h as...

hang in there and keep looking... Have eitherof you tried the stellar ganglion blocks? I hear they help subside the pain a bit and they might be in my future also... If either of you have tried them, let me know how they helped you.

Barb

Old 10-31-2006, 02:18 AM   #9
    mcgriffin
    (female)

mcgriffin HB User

All,
    Is'nt it funny how differently we are all effected by these meds.
    I take 150 mg lyrica am and pm ,cymbalta pm, and 12.5 ambien cr pm and still only sleep 4 hours max per night . (and i don't nap during the day) God, how I would love to just sleep for 8-10 hours straight - I know just getting adequate sleep would improve my disposition so much. It's hard not to be bitchy when you are exhusted....the only time Ive slept longer in the last year and a half was when I HAD MY TOTAL KNEE REPLACED .
    1 1/2 yrs. is way to long of a time to run on 3- 4 hours of sleep.

just my story ,Robbin

Old 10-31-2006, 07:20 AM   #10
    mcgriffin
    (female)

mcgriffin HB User

Barb,
    10 years ago I could manage pretty good on 6 hours sleep (single mom 2 jobs ) In the last five yeaRS I had realized the benefits and pleasure of what 8-9 hrs. felt like ...and got use to that - then this happened. As I have struggled with weight issues most of my life the answer as to fast metabolism no ...just the opposite sloooow.
    as to the benefits of meds I'm taking - I did'nt really think the Lyrica was helping til I ran out... that won't happen again. the cymbalta I just started taking 2 weeks ago (trying to get out of this black hole ) they say it takes 3-4 weeks to really start working , so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. and the Ambien cr regardless of what the commercial says it puts me to sleep just won't keep me there.
    Yes, I am tired most all of the time (part due to depression I'm sure) dark circles under my eyes, crabby- mean mean woman. Luckily I now have a very smart husband who knows when to stay far far away from me and when to hold me close. Robbin

Old 10-31-2006, 07:56 AM   #11
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

thanks for the suggestions.

yes, the epidural was for the birth of my last child. he poked me 4-5 times trying to jab the catheter in and it was awful. also, he put way too much lidocaine in, which supposedly can damage nerves, too. he tore my dural sac surrounding my spinal cord, ripped through some nerves, and ripped through a nerve root sac and damaged those nerve endings. i could feel everything, too, since he was in the wrong place and didn't put the lidocaine where it should be. i swear everything in my vision just kidn of broke up in these white lights kind of like star bursts - i guess that is where cartoons have people see stars? lol i had pain one time that made me black out, but this was worse and it was the strangest thing. i just can't describe it. anyway, it has been a long road of falling fast down a mountain rather than a hill or so it seems. i went from it affecting me from the site of the epidural punctures down to my buttocks and then it travelled to my hip, down to my leg, and now my foot.

actually, before i had all the weird RSD stuff, i had extremely numbness down my leg and had a really bad EMG/NCV. my nerves were doing (or in some cases not doing) all kinds of weird stuff. it was when my nerve endings started trying to heal that all the even weirder stuff happened. i could live with having a numb leg, but this?

Old 10-31-2006, 08:01 AM   #12
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

if you do the blocks, make sure they give you IV sedation with pain meds in the IV.

i have had sympathetic nerve root blocks (two of them so far, going in for another this friday). the first did nothing but hurt. the second one hurt a bit that day and caused some cramping in my rear end, but after that i did notice a change in the temperature of my leg and a bit of a decrease in the stabbing and burning pain, but after 4-5 days all of the sudden the little demon decided to reheat the screwdrivers and start digging them down to my bones again. urgh!

oh, and last christmas i had rhizotomies to the facet joints and si nerve roots, because i couldn't hardly stand to even wear clothes, be touched, have sex, anything. it was awful. and i had these horrible weird outbreaks of sweat just i that area. i love jeans and couldn't tolerate it. i walked around (at home obviously) in a t-shirt and panties because i couldn't stand anything touching me; if i had to go out i had to wear a dress, but be careful of the material. that helped for a long time, but some of the sweating is coming back and some of the pain deep down, but not the sensitivity to touch me on the back yet, thank God! now i just have those feelings in my leg and foot, but i refuse to have a sympathectomy. do not, whatever they say, have a sympathectomy. i am so glad i researched it, because one of my docs suggested it off-handedly and didn't even tell me how bad it could be, so i knew to say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by msswank95; 10-31-2006 at 08:04 AM.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:11 AM   #13
    theweaver2
    (female)

theweaver2 HB User

Msss,

Geesh, I feel sooo bad for you. Your pain sounds similar to mine, but mine affects my neck/scapula/shoulder arm area. When its at its worse, I can't bear to be touched either. Sometimes taking a shower hurts.

You didn't mention whether you take any pain meds. I have used Oxycontin in March of this year. OMG, it was the first real relief I had in over 2 years. I put off going the narcotic route as long as I could, and probably too long as I'm learning by not treating chronic pain effectively can cause even MORE problems down the road.

After 6 months with that pain doc who did nothing for me other than prescribe narcotcs and give me a cervical injection which made it worse, I switched doctors. She didnt even know the facts of my story which is very complicated. When I asked her about whether untreated pain can, in fact, cause part of the problem of my condition, all she said was that there were studies being done.... lol I'm like, uhhhh, don't you know what those studies say in treating people like me?

Fortunately, my new doctor knows very well about this type of syndrome and has some ideas for me... He switched me to Methadone which surprised me because it has the reputation of being used to treat street addicts... lol Hell, all the narcotics have reputations. I learned the reason Oxycontin had a bad rep is that it is sold on the streets for big bux because users can crush the tablets and get an immediate high. It's a shame because these narcotics give a lot of people their lives back.

The meth has reduced my pain, but I still am playing around with the dosing. The doc said this meth is better for 24 hour pain in that it doesnt metabolize as quickly as others. I started at a really low dose at will see how it works for me. Some days are great and I can even sleep on my right side for a few minutes here and there. Which, for me, is a small thing I havent been able to do for over 2 years.

Have you been with a pain management doctor yet? I assume you have because of the injections you say you had. What about narcotics? Have you tried those yet? It was a difficult thing for me to do and I still feel weak and guilty for having to use them to help my pain. I feel like I should be able to just "deal" with it. Sometimes praying just isnt enough....

I will pray for you sweetie... The days I feel overwhelmed I think of people like you who have it much worse and have others who also depend on them. I am so fortunate to be able to focus on my wellness. I know I couldn't take care of children. I have enough pressure taking care of myself !! lol

If you ever need a shoulder feel free to hollar.

Barb

Old 11-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
    msswank95
    (female)

msswank95 HB User

you are so sweet, barb, and thank you so much! remember, though, to never compare your situation negatively against another's, because pain is pain and it is miserable all the same. don't feel bad for feeling overwhelmed, as i am sure at that moment you do feel overwhelmed regardless of the circumstances. just the pain of this nasty demon is overwhelming!

yes, i have seen PM doctors. i had two at one point, because the doc doing the procedures would only prescribe norco (that is all he will prescribe any of his patients), which was not enough for me. i needed something stronger. what is stupid is that my spinal surgeon started me out on percocet, so how could i go down to norco? i tried it for a while, but was miserable all the time. even with the max dose and timing, i would still usually be at an 8 or more often. i asked my physiatrist once what the goal of pain management was and told him how i was feeling. he was like - that is how you feel with medication? he thought that is how i felt without it. so, he switched me to duragesic patch 25 mcg with norco for BT pain. he told me to find a doctor (he didn't do long-term pain management, just physical medicine) that would do the medication management, but he would handle it until i found one. i found out my internist did pain management (medication-wise) and he started helping me figure out what i needed. i ended up on 75 mcg duragesic with 5-10 mg of oxycodone for BT pain every 4-6 hours as needed (pure oxycodone without tylenol because it is long-term and didn't want to mess with my liver). the past two weeks i have been maxed out on the oxy for BT. it has been bad. they are considering upping my duragesic to 100 mcg, but i am resistant to that, as i think i am just having a bad couple of weeks due to weather and such. i am also on soma four times a day. i was given zanaflex yesterday, but didn't like it at all, but maybe you need it for a while. anyways, i ended up taking a soma. i was miserable.

i am getting ready to start with a brand new PM doc that does procedures and pain medication management. my PM med doctor/internist closed his practice and my physiatrist said this other doc handles RSD better and can do the procedures and the meds and prevent the need for me to go to two separate doctors. we'll see. pray he does the job and is nice and listens and handles me well and gives what i need and we develop a good relationship. i am nervous about the switch.

oh, i am having a sympathetic block on friday - my third. we'll see how it works. the first didn't do anything, the second lasted 5 days at most, so we'll see what this does.

and i'm here for you, too. thanks for your support.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #15
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Wow Ladies, looks like we got quite the thread going! Did you check out the replies and the readings??? Mind boggleing.

Barb, I tried the Lyrica last night at bedtime. Maybe cause it was halloween and I ate too much candy, lol. I could not wake up to save my soul. I felt so drugged out all day. At 9am I kept nodding off, and this was my day to run the shop. No amount of coffee could keep me alert. I didn't notice any burning pain though, but I'm wondering if the tradeoff is worth it. It's 6 PM now, and I can't stop yawning. I'm not sure if I'm going to continue this craziness. I never tried oxycotin, but it's cousin MsCotin, which is not as bad, so they say. That's what got me into the living again. I've never tried methadone, but I'm happy with the mscotin. People who see me now, say they were so worried about me before(the vicoden days), that they said I didn't look good, and how much better I look now. I guess when you are so racked with pain you look as bad as you feel. I've had 2 stellegate nerve blocks, but it was 2 1/2 years too late. Wc denied them. They offered me no relief, and they hurt so bad. But the sooner you get them, after being dx'd with RSD, the better your chances are. I pray they work for you.

Msswank I know what you mean about the demons coming back with a vegenance. That's what happened to me when I had my blocks, but it was that very day. The 2nd one in 6 hours. I screamed so loud, I know I emabarassed my pm dr. He said that he didn't want to do any more on me. And Robin too, I will say though that I tried ambien, and it had an adverse effect on me. Instead of making me tired, it made me hyper which is hard to do when you are in so much pain. If I wasn't pacing the floor, my mind was racing. It did the same thing to a few others in my support group. Is this the case with you two?? Maybe you should try something else for sleep. I'm on Remeron, and I'm out like a light. I feel with you for the kids, because I was a single mom raising 2 girls with RSD. They really helped me out. I wish you luck with a higher dosage of the patch. The weather here is cooling off too, and I have to wear layers to sleep, or I'm soaking wet. I pray that it's a new month, that everyone has a better tommorrow. Aloha Skooze

Closed Thread