It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Muscle atrophy....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
    jodom1979
    Inactive
    (male)

jodom1979 HB User
    Muscle atrophy....

Hey guy's I got a question... Though I do hydro therapy and walk and basically force myself to use my left knew it is still showing atrophy... Its not in my head either My fiance noticed it as well as my ortho.. I have been aggressive with my pt. Do you think I should just step it up a few notches?

Its painful now at the rate I push myself to keep flexability and muscle tone... But it looks like on the right inside part of my patella the skin is getting almost "sucked in" .... Is this just the nature of the beast?

Jon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User
    Re: Muscle atorphy....

Yup, that's part of the process no matter how hard you try to make your muscles stronger it only just gets more painful. The farther along the disease progresses it will not only effect your muscles but you bones as well. My bones and muscles both hurt bad and it hurts for someone to massage them to hard. It feels good at first but soon after the soreness returns for me even worser than before but most of my affected areas I don't even want no one to touch them and that includes myself.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
    jodom1979
    Inactive
    (male)

jodom1979 HB User

Im also now getting muscle twichting from my thigh (quads?). I am allowed
    5mg's of oral baclofen every 8 hours but it does nothing. Might ask for an increase.

If this atrophy continues Im gonna have to do something drastic. I have basically been working my butt off 7 days a week since all this unfolded.
    THIS SUCKS SOOOO BAD!

It this keeps up, im going to be crippled.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

I know what you mean, I have severe muscle spasms in my neck that draws my shoulder all the way up to my head just below my left ear. Believe it hurts right before it happens, I take Soma 350mg 3-4 times a day for muscle spasms. But my body used to jerk real bad when I would lay down to to to sleep before they started me on the medicine I'm on now, but every once in awhile I still get jerking motions when I lay down. I believe that the reflex part of this disease because of sudden jerking motions you can't control.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
    jodom1979
    Inactive
    (male)

jodom1979 HB User

I have an old Rx of soma. I will give that a try. Only with that I just remember a drunk feeling while on them. But at that time they did work. From What I have read Baclophen is supposed to be good but im not on high enough dose. well, I shall see what happens. but for the night im going to try a soma and see if it works. thanks

Old 02-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile Re: Muscle atorphy....

Hi Jon,

I have atrophy in my legs too. I also have that "sucked in" look that you describe (I like that description!). I can't do a leg lift with either leg and have been walking with crutches for the past 15 years or so only because of the atrophy. I've been doing PT since getting RSD 21 years ago, but the atrophy still came. From what I've learned, that part you describe that sank in, is the first to go...that inside part of the quads. Hang in.

Sharon

Old 02-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
    jodom1979
    Inactive
    (male)

jodom1979 HB User
    Re: Muscle atrophy....

Its so wierd looking. My cap looks rasied up and lop sided though it is structurally (bone wise) intact. That inner quad muscle is giving me pain.
    So, I think it bearing down to two differents forms of pain.... now that im taking all these meds treating the nuro side of things which has "cooled" things down a little bit i can now notice the what i would guess would be soft tissue pain.

It just so unreal. I do light to moderate weight training on it as PAINFUL as it is and it just wont respond. I have a friend That i served with that happens to live locally so he helps me push through the pain during PT.

Im going to try adding some supplements and raise my protien intake and see if that will help. Its going to be real hard for me to accept and watch my knee just go. I think Im going to need some counseling..... These boards are really nice and invaulable, but all this seems to be just getting to be to much to handle. im NOT suicidal, but this has to be the worst hand ever dealt to me. I guess like everything else I need to coem to terms with it.. but for this one I need help i think.

I have been looking for a RSD group here in lexington, but none exsist that i know of. I just wish I could find someone who knows and understands what im going through. Everyone on this board does. But "other" people dont.

Glad ya liked the description, LOL it was the only way I could describe my knee

Jon

Old 02-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

You're right it does help to have someone to talk to and who will listen to you. If you could at least find a counselor who will listen even if they don't fully understand at least you can let out some of your frustration and anger. Who knows they may end knowing someone who could help. I know these message boards help but talking to someone face to face is even better. I'm lucky I have a husband who listens, tries to understand and even goes with me to the doctor and asks questions about what they can do for me. I also have two daughters who try to understand as well. So I hope you can find someone to talk to.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
    sharon1030
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sharon1030 HB User
    Smile Re: Muscle atrophy....

Hi Jon,

There is nothing wrong with needing to seek counseling. I'm proud of you for recognizing that you need it. You're right. This board is great, but it's even better to be able to speak with someone who's educated in trying to help you deal with this and teaching coping skills. Hang in there and I hope you don't leave the boards because we'd miss you .

Sharon

Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
    Skooze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Jon!

I'm with everyone else about the counseling. Try finding someone who specializes in chronic pain. It was so good to talk to to a professional about anything that bothers you. They really can help alot, plus social security will request you see one of their doctors if you haven't been sweeing one on your own. Got to be several steps ahead of the game.

As far as PT goes (I callit pain & torture) DO NOT feel bad about dropping out. My therapist was actually the one who dx'd me RSD. He flunked me 3 times. Told my doctors that even with gentle manipulation I was soaking the sheets within a few minutes. He knew when to back off. So don't feel like a failure if you have to stop. Have your tried swimming in a heated pool? I use a STS machine daily, and it was the only thing that got me out of bed and into the living. The trick is to find what works best for you. I also take soma 3 to 4 times a day. At first it might feel like you're drunk, but after time that goes away. And I sure notice it if I miss my dose. Good luck in finding a pscyologist and maybe try looking for a support group for people with chronic pain. There was none here when I got injured, and so I started my own. I put up posters in the pharmacy and at my doctor's office. I met some really neat people. But it takes energy. But well worth it. Good Luck Aloha Skooze

Old 02-15-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
    jodom1979
    Inactive
    (male)

jodom1979 HB User

Yeah it is painful to do.. I just do my best to suck it up and drive on. Im actively prusuing a Therapist. I have a phsychiatrist but she isnt the talkative type. Been with her over a year. She takes a "lets medicate as much as possible" approach. Though she does listen, she isnt really the advice giver. But if a problem arises she is quick to respond So I dont mind her.

She Rx's me Carbomazepine 400mg,Klonopin0.5 QID and seroquel (prn). Been on this cocktail for a year. It definately took a bite out of my anger and cooled me down. Which helped me adjust back to civilian life. But I dont like doctors and being around them tends to bring otu my bad side. I yelled at my ortho on my very first visit. Ripped into him for throwing my MRI's on the Ground right in front of me. After that we built respect. Been with him over a year and he treats me with respect. Actually we have developed a sorta friendship.

But this PM is a true ***. I will see how the visit next month goes. If I detect him trying to dismiss me, Im going to come right out with my feelings on the issue. And if he has a porblem with me or tries to intimidate me because he has a published book and professor in PM and department head of this and that. I have dealt with terrorists MUCH worse than him. But im not going to walk in with a chip on my shoulder. I will let him make the first step before taking a stand. But I will keep you all informed of my mis-adventures!

I hope you all are doing well and are stay relatively pain free. Thank you all for your replies and information. It has truely been a great help to me.. More than you know. So I give you all many thanks!

Jon

Closed Thread