It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board

• Put on Methadone, Need Advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
    jaxobean
    Veteran
    (female)

jaxobean HB User
    Put on Methadone, Need Advice

Hi,
    I was just put on Methadone by my pm doc. My primary is leaving and my pm has taken over my scripts. I am sure everyone knows what a relief that is for me. I have been on the Methadone 5mg 3x daily w/ oxycodone for breakthrough since Tuesday and it has helped a great deal. Does anyone have any experiences positive or negative they would like to share with me about it? Thank you and I hope everyone is doing the best they can be.
    Thank you for any information I appreciate it.
    Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
    Sunnycal
    Veteran
    (female)

Sunnycal HB User
    Re: Put on Methadone, Need Advice

My husband has taken methadone for several years. It seems to make him tired and able to "nod off" easily, but he hasn't had any other side effects. It does definitely help with the pain, and has a long half-life (stays in your system) so that the relief is more even and doesn't have ups and downs.
    Sunny

Last edited by Sunnycal; 05-11-2007 at 11:43 PM.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
    luvmybeagle
    Inactive
    (female)

luvmybeagle HB User

Hi Nikki, I too have just been switched to methadone with dilaudid. I have not started it yet. I need to get in a stable place before I change meds.
    Have you noticed any side effects yet? I am interested to find out how you do. I am going to start mine on Monday evening. I hope I do ok with out weaning off of the oxycodone.
    Thanks for any info you have.
    Barbara

Old 05-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
    jaxobean
    Veteran
    (female)

jaxobean HB User

Barbara,
    I am doing great. I have noticed a big change in attitude and outlook because it is a steady pain control instead of all the ups and downs with oxycodone. I used to take about 10-12 oxy a day and now I am on three. No detox and it has been about 4-5 days so it is going great. The one thing is the constipation. I have had it before with all the other meds but it is really bad now. I will let you know how it goes. I missed about 2-3 nights of sleep but I have just caught up with that. Things are good and I think you will love and welcome the change. Keep me posted on how you do with it as well. I am also lowering the Cymbalta right now before I begin on the Lyrica again but I have to say things are good considering all the change that is going on in my body. I really think you will be happy though...If this applies...Happy Mother's Day and good luck, keep me posted...Nikki

Old 05-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
    warmnsunny
    (female)

warmnsunny HB User
    Smile Re: Put on Methadone, Need Advice

Hello everyone-

I see alot of new faces while i have been feeling better and doing my treatments and treating my spread and all of life for the past few months....i sure hope skooze, sharon, dee and everyone are at least reading, i kinda fell of the earth with computer issues too this time, but wanted to pop in now that i have found a new pm and have some input that will help some of you i hope.

i was put on methodone with my new pm, whom i met in dec of 06. i have been thru the ringer of pm's and neurologists since my car accident of may 05. the methodone has been the light at the end of the tunnel for me. it has give me the best relief since before the accident. I still have pain, but the pain is not the constant jabbing like i had before. i take 10mg 3xday. and i a small petite woman....i am finally losing weight too, because of the topomax and my diet. im so glad im feeling good about myself right now, i used to be so heavy, from the lryica, and now its just so amazing, the difference.

but everyone is different...and it really depends how you take care of your body...if i dont take care of my body one day, i sure do feel it a few days later...

warnsunny

Old 05-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
    jaxobean
    Veteran
    (female)

jaxobean HB User

Warmsunny,
    So happy to read your reply. I am doing great on the methadone 5mg 3x daily and I have seen such a change in the pain and my outlook. It has been a godsend. I was very worried because I have read that weight gain is a major issue for methadone users and the last thing I want to do is gain weight. I am very petite as well and I gained a ton of weight when I was on prednisone and amitriptylene. I was on Lyrica for awhile and I did not notice a weight change- not significant anyway. My pm doc. wants me to go back on Lyrica- it did not work for the rsd in the arm but he wants to try it for the leg. I have not started it yet because I am trying to get off of the 120mg of Cymbalta, so I want to do one thing at a time. My body has been enough. I would recommend Methadone to anyone with chronic pain. I hope I am like you and lose the wieght or stay the same as long as I do not gain. What is topomax? Do you have a scs? I got one implanted in Dec.2006, and since then the rsd has spread from my r/arm to my l/leg (knee, foot). Anyway I wish you luck with the new meds and you have taken a lot of worry away from me although I know we are all different it still gives me hope. Please keep me posted and thank you...Nikki

Old 05-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
    luvmybeagle
    Inactive
    (female)

luvmybeagle HB User

Nikki, I am so glad this is working for you. I am now looking forward to my first dose on MOnday evening. I can not remember the dosage but I will let you know. I also take neurontin. I can not go without it. Lucklily I have stayed the same with my weight. I do not have an appetite except for some sweets. I to am petite and could stand to loose a few pounds, like 20, but I can't excercise so I am trying to to gain any. I wish I could take the majic pill for that. I have a problem with constipation already but I have just started with the new over the counter med. Sorry I can't remember the name but it works. I don't have to use it every day either. I was taking at least 4 laxative pills a day and now with this stuff I just drink some ever couple of days.
    I will let you know how I am doing. I am just so happy that your pain is better. It gives me hope.
    Take care,
    Barbara

Old 05-14-2007, 05:42 AM   #8
    jodom1979
    Inactive
    (male)

jodom1979 HB User

JAXO!

Im so happy for you!!! Its great you are getting some pain control!!!

Jon

Old 05-14-2007, 07:15 AM   #9
    jaxobean
    Veteran
    (female)

jaxobean HB User

Hi Guys,
    Yes thank you- aside from the pain today the methadone is the best pain control I have had in 10 years. Having a very bad day today though. I do not know if my foot could swell anymore than it is right now. It has gone downhill but it could just be aggravated from the attempted Beir block last friday. Have help today so luckily I am just parked on the couch today. Hope everyone else is having a better day...Thanks for the kind words...Nikki

Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
    ld3340
    (male)

ld3340 HB User

Hi Nikki, I was reading some older posts- thats whats nice about healthboards- and couldn't help notice this one. I am on the Methadone also, but a lot more that what you are on. It makes me very nervous to think there is that much of a difference, I'm not petite, 6-3 and 205, but I'm on 40mgs 3 times a day, along with 3600 neurontin/daily and baclofin! Am I way overmedicated?? I am just right with my pain levels, and am going to get a SCS within a couple months (trial is completed w/50% improvement) I just was wondering if anyone else had dosages this high, and how you were doing Nikki. LD

Old 09-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #11
    judiev331
    (female)

judiev331 HB User

Hi,

I was on the Methadone for a long time. After awhile (years) The meth gave me shallow respirations.........which lead to pneumonia.......about once or twice a year. Then they switched me to morphine..........made no sense to me but it worked. My rheumatologist added the guainefisen (not sure of the spelling. It's now a over the counter called Mucinex) Also helped the Fibromyalgia. Ask your doc, just because it's a OTC doesn't make it safe to take.

This is one of those days where the RSD has my head spinning. Side effects from Lyrica are creeping in

Hugs

Judie

Old 09-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
    jaxobean
    Veteran
    (female)

jaxobean HB User

Judie,
    I am on Methadone, I would say for about 3 months now and the pain relief has been incredible for me, but this has been the 2nd really bad sinus, cold, body ache episode that I have had since I was put on. Truthfully, I do not think I got over the 1st episode and have been getting infections on my skin. Did you have any of these problems? How did you get diagnosed with Fibromyalgia? I helped my attorney organize medical records and saw a lot of docs. put Fibromyalgia in the diagnosis along with rsd and neuropathy, but as far as I know I am not on any meds to help. Some days (more now than not) I walk (wheel) around with body aches like you read about and I just do not know where to go for help. Seems like I know more about these conditions than my doctor. My rsd is so bad that they do not even pay attention to other problems that I constantly complain about. Most days I am so exhausted and feel muscle, joint, and body aches that it is a chore to even do the simplist of tasks. Any advice for the muscle aches. I am 32 and feel like I am 90. I got off of the Lyrica because it just sucked for me. I was on it for so long and the docs. took me off because they said it was going nothing for me. Any advice would be great. A great friend gave me advice to ask my pm about prialt and I am going to check on the status of the ketamine he said he was going to try and approve. I am afraid it is turning out like all the other docs I have been to in the last 11 years nothing is working and they all through their hands up and reach an endpoint. Well there has to be someone out there who can help. I have reached my endpoint. This new pm has actually made me worse than when I 1st went in so how he can leave me in this condition is unknown to me. If the tables were turned I would not be able to sleep at night. I wish you luck and any info. would be very much appreciated. Good luck with your fight.
    Hugs right back at you!!! Nikki

Old 09-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #13
    jaxobean
    Veteran
    (female)

jaxobean HB User

LD,
    That's a hard one. Everyone has different thresholds and now I am on 6 tabs of methadone from 4 and 4 oxycodones. I also take 4 diazapam and 90 down from 120 of Cymbalta. I have gotten off of a lot because I have two small kids but I could not tolerate the Neurontin. I am going to inquire about prialt and ketamine and I am sure the Meth with probably go up. I am 5'3 1/4 truthfully I always say 5'5" just makes me feel better lol. My weight is about 115-120, and although size makes a difference threshold makes a bigger difference. I am sure there are many my size that are on less and more. The thing that sucks is that we are all so different in how we react and how these meds. respond. It is just so frustrating. Good luck with the scs that has helped with the pain ( I have 2 ) one for hand and one for both legs. I shut off leg one for less than 20 mins and thought I was going to pass out from the pain. For me the stim moved my rsd from the arm to all over my body and into the two legs so make sure you are well informed and think about all possibilities before you commit to permanent. I was so ill informed and never in my wildest dreams would have suspected the scs making things worse instead of better. Best of luck...Nikki

Old 09-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
    keep sake
    (female)

keep sake HB User

Sunny:
    I was put on Methadone about six weeks ago. Although it did help with the pain they had to take me off it. I was vomiting all day and my throat was beginning to burn. I do want to say it did help with the pain. Most of the meds I have used did not. Hoping there is something else that they can give me now.
    Wish you lots of luck and keep a positive outlook.
    Keep Sake

Old 09-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #15
    ld3340
    (male)

ld3340 HB User

Nikki,
    Thanks for answering, and I am sorry it's going bad for you this past week. We all have them days where it seems there is no reason for this, and I agree for the most part. Everyone has their own way of dealing with illness, some say you are given no more than you can handle etc... Myself, I use the "Only good and perfect things come from God" and it's up to me and faith to get through the worst of it, the whole time remembering that there IS a purpose for us. With something so terrible, I don't think we could make it on our own, matter of fact I'm sure of it, so I don't even try! Thank goodness for a higher power!
    I did have a question tho- When you said you took 6 tablets, are those 40mgs each? That's what mine are, and not to be nosy, but I have seen pics with sores on the affected leg or arm, are they infections or ingrown hairs (mine has fallen out of my legs 2 different times) I have had scratches ummm from scratching when I can, that don't heal real quick. I cured that one, but it's the others I'd like to look out for. Laurin

Closed Thread